Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Some of it does . You , on the other hand , are free .grin

Yeah....
Don't quit your day job, Gus!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Some of it does . You , on the other hand , are free .grin

Yeah....
Don't quit your day job, Gus!
grin

thanks for the good advice. grin

the last day job i held, they couldn't decide if i was there to help or to hinder. in fact, no decision has been made, even yet. wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Did anyone see or hear Beck today? He brought up the subject of government pensions. Bottom line, he asked "Why do have to have them?" Not everyone does.

This will probably open a can of worms but I thought it was a very interesting topic. After all, why can't WE all have pensions (sacasim) is what Beck was asking. Then, he went into the various sides but he raised alot of valid points. For the most part, unless you are a government employee you are left outside.

Living in Jacksonville, our local economy is is playing hell with them. The local pensions guarantee at least 7% each year. I don't know about you but I would love to have that guarantee with the stock market. It is costing our city a bundle. I am in full support of those that recieve it like police and firefighters, but 'come on man. Can I get a pension (or anything) that guarantees this a year? What are your thoughts?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mac84
"I understand how percentages work. I also understand that those generating higher incomes typically utilize more of the infrastructure tax revenues go to support. That is why they should also pay a higher percentage ie progressive. Another thing I understand is those who support a non-progressive flat tax or a consumption tax believe it will benefit them financially, not because it is fair."

Gotta disagree. IME, the dregs are the biggest consumers of infrastructure resources in the community I work. It's not the mid to upper class folks who are calling 911 to come get their kids out of bed for school. They aren't the people calling for a "bamblance" ride to the hospital for some silly reason. The list goes on.

Mac,

I don't disagree with your observations in your community, but across the country, the wealthy do take up plenty of infrastructure. Think about the cost to the economy of the fake energy crisis in 2002? Think about the cost of the ENRON collapse, think about the cost of the financial bailout, some of which went straight to "bonuses".

I would submit that a cop in Michigan is going to see plenty of government spending on the poorest of the poor. But look around at all that crumbling infrastructure, that was built to support and help and promote the auto industry. (including freeways across the country)

America has always spent plenty on supporting private industry (I'm not saying that is bad). Those subsidies made our economy strong, and provided lots of jobs.

Ia Arizona we have slanted our tax codes and our zoning and our water law to benefit developers, NOT sheet-rockers.

Now that the economy is in the tank, the developers are down to their last $10 or $100 million, and we (the tax-payers of Arizona) are STILL building roads and sewers out to their semi-abandoned developments.

And the cops here are arresting plenty of out of work, drunken sheet-rockers, NOT developers.

Just the way the world works.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JRS3
Living in Jacksonville, our local economy is is playing hell with them. The local pensions guarantee at least 7% each year. ...

My friend, please include a link to that guarantee (and a link to a job application, while you're at it! grin)

Any place that has a pension that goes up 7% a year is a place I want to work.

Think about it: in 11 years it is doubled, in 17 it is tripled, in 22 years it is quadrupled, in 25 years it is quintupled.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
all differences aside, i just wish we had a "theory" that would allow continuous growth without any kind of repercussions.

yes, we have theories of growth, but what about the countryside?

therein lies the issue or problem. we have a growth theory that allows for the advancement of humans on the Earth, but what happens next, pray tell??

i mean, how much Growth can the Earth sustain?? why, that ain't our problem, is it? oh, it is our problem pray tell?? so, how do we best solve it?? growth, without an impact? the Architects knows, don't they?? and they speak with the Engineers, and the gov't planners. they all know, don't they??

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
MMMMM! Eat Earth. Eat lots of Earth. Mongo like Earth. Eat all Earth. MMMM.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 30 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,007
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.