Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Kokamo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I am wanting to purchase a scope leveler. Does anybody have any direct expirence with one that works? Thanks for your time.

Durand

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm sure there are some on the market that work, but you can never compensate how one person cants a gun vs. how someone else does it....( talking hunting rifles here...)
My head is screwed on crooked ( or so Ive been told...) and you can perfectly level a scope for me on the bench and as soon as I pick the gun up..it looks crooked..
Same as alot of topics on the forum, you gotta go with what works for you...

ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good way, and, probably the quickest way would be to lay a straight edge; I use a 6" machinists rule; across the top flat of the scope base, and then while looking from behind, align the horizontal cross to the straight edge making them parallel to each other.

For a more precise alignment, I use my milling machine table and quill to align the cross hairs.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
i have one that works as good as anything i have tryed it is called a reticle leveler. made by segway ind. it rides across the flats of the scope base.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use a inexpensive level across the top of the bases with a level rifle, then mount the scope and use the level across the elevation turret. Works like a charm.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Use a inexpensive level across the top of the bases with a level rifle, then mount the scope and use the level across the elevation turret. Works like a charm.

[Linked Image]

Yup.........

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wildswalker

[Linked Image]

Yup.........

+1 On that, I bought the wheeler level level level, and I can place it on top of one of my good carpenter levels and it will be almost a half a bubble off. Wheeler level is junk in my book.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What do you do when you discover the elevation turret and/or cap isn't square?

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 1234
i have one that works as good as anything i have tryed it is called a reticle leveler. made by segway ind. it rides across the flats of the scope base.

Ed

My favorite also, but I just found out that it's been discontinued by manufacturer when I tried to find a link to it for Kokamo. Malm's method is virtually identical, although hand-held.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Malm

What do you do when you discover the elevation turret and/or cap isn't square?

The turret damn well better be square else it goes right back to Leupold......

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't run across that yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Yep. I do the same. Cheap too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heven't found a reason to complicate the process beyond that yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the old-timey method of leveling on a convenient flat spot on the action. Then adjust the crosshairs to something you know is vertical, like a weighted string hung from the ceiling across the room. Maybe not as convenient as using the scope turret, on the other hand you can be more precise than is necessary as a practical matter.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

They're out there. Be patient, one will be along soon. grin The last one I seen was just last week. Mind you I am speaking of the top of the turret and/or cap, where you would place the level.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

The last one I seen was just last week.

Curious, what scope was it?

Still patiently waiting for my well to run dry, it has to eventually....some day, right?

[Linked Image]
K
Kokamo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thank you all for the information. I appreciate the help smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was a Swarovski.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It was a Swarovski.

That right there is too funny......

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you really want to be serious, take the action out of the stock and lay it up on a real level, and block it up so you can see a known vertical line like a plumb bob.
That's the reference I like to use for level, the bottom of the action sitting on a trusted plumb stick.
I also have cut the cheap line levels out of their plastic holders, turns out the tube itself is pretty handy for placing on the action rails, or the scope base. And, if you really want to be CHEAP, you can take a crummy old pair of rings, poke a hole, cut half the hole away, and bingo, Budget Scope Level. Instead of crying when you break the fancy store bought, you just mist a little.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 1911a1, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 14,678 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,071
Posts18,541,300
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.