Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Lucky Dog....

Anyone who has pets will really like this. You'll like it even if you don't, and you may even decide you need one!

Mary and her husband Jim had a dog named 'Lucky.'

Lucky was a real character. Whenever Mary and Jim had company come for a weekend visit they would warn their friends to not leave their luggage open because Lucky would help himself to whatever struck his fancy. Inevitably, someone would forget and something would come up missing.

Mary or Jim would go to Lucky's toy box in the basement and there the treasure would be, amid all of Lucky's other favorite toys Lucky always stashed his finds in his toy box and he was very particular that his toys stay in the box.

It happened that Mary found out she had breast cancer.. Something told her she was going to die of this disease.... in fact; she was just sure it was fatal.

She scheduled the double mastectomy, fear riding her shoulders. The night before she was to go to the hospital she cuddled with Lucky. A thought struck her...what would happen to Lucky? Although the three-year-old dog liked Jim, he was Mary's dog through and through. If I die, Lucky will be abandoned, Mary thought He won't understand that I didn't want to leave him! The thought made her sadder than thinking of her own death.

The double mastectomy was harder on Mary than her doctors had anticipated and Mary was hospitalized for over two weeks. Jim took Lucky for his evening walk faithfully, but the little dog just drooped, whining and miserable.

Finally the day came for Mary to leave the hospital. When she arrived home, Mary was so exhausted she couldn't even make it up the steps to her bedroom. Jim made his wife comfortable on the couch and left her to nap.

Lucky stood watching Mary but he didn't come to her when she called It made Mary sad but sleep soon overcame her and she dozed..

When Mary woke for a second she couldn't understand what was wrong. She couldn't move her head and her body felt heavy and hot. But panic soon gave way to laughter when Mary realized the problem. She was covered, literally blanketed, with every treasure Lucky owned! While she had slept, the sorrowing dog had made trip after trip to the basement bringing his beloved mistress all his favorite things in life.

He had covered her with his love.

Mary forgot about dying. Instead she and Lucky began living again, walking further and further together every day..
It's been 12 years now and Mary is still cancer-free. Lucky still steals treasures and stashes them in his toy box but Mary remains his greatest treasure.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Excellent!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Great story. Not ashamed to admit to it bringing a tear to my eyes.

Reminds me of an occurrence with my own dogs. My current (and currently, my only) dog is getting up there in years (He'll be eleven in July), but when I first brought him home as a tiny four and a half week old Pitbull pup, he was introduced into a house with two other dogs, my somewhat elderly male Doberman and my somewhat elderly female Pitbull (the two of them had been best of friends since puppies). At first, they just tolerated the interloper, but eventually they relearned the fun of puppy play, and they all had a ball together. But the new pup and the Doberman really hit it off and formed a very close friendship.

The new pup grew up fast, and always looked to the Doberman for his cues on what dogs are supposed to do. If Caesar (the Doberman) did something, Colby (the new pup) would too. By the time the pup was full grown, Caesar was getting very elderly, and couldn't much play with him anymore. Eventually, Caesar couldn't even stand and wouldn't eat, so very sadly it came time for his last trip to the vet.

While he was laying down on the living room floor, nearly comatose (he'd be taken to the vet very soon), Colby went and retrieved his favorite toy, a real prize that he'd never before demonstrated any interest in sharing. He approached Caesar and gently laid it down in front of his face, then respectfully took a few steps back while watching to see if Caesar would take it, which of course he could not as he wasn't really fully with us by then.

Just remembering that is getting the waterworks flowing, so I'll leave it at that. Here they are about fifteen months before Caesar passed away. He lived two months shy of thirteen years.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Colby & Caesar.JPG (62.26 KB, 149 downloads)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VERY NICE story, thanks.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
GREAT story,dogs are GODS gift to mankind.They LOVE YOU UNCONDITIONALLY,if treated right,they don't care what color you are,skinny,fat,ugly or beautiful.I WISH WE PEOPLE WERE MORE LIKE THAT.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by crittergetter
GREAT story,dogs are GODS gift to mankind.They LOVE YOU UNCONDITIONALLY,if treated right,they don't care what color you are,skinny,fat,ugly or beautiful.I WISH WE PEOPLE WERE MORE LIKE THAT.
+1

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That's a pretty good dog story right there, Hawkeye!

smile

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by remseven
That's a pretty good dog story right there, Hawkeye!

smile
Thank you. I could barely fight off the tears long enough to put it down.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 1minute, 06hunter59, 21, 204guy, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,602
Posts18,511,485
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.