Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BN,

Good story. It may be just my lack of imagination, but a #-1 in 32 S&W Long is not on my wish list. But I'd sure like to see and shoot one.

Steve

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
BN,
General Megee's rifle was a true 1A and he got it in about 1970.
I owned it once, for a very short time. The General wrote it up in the April 1971 issue of Shooting Times. There is also a good writeup about it in Clayton's Ruger No.1 book. I think Joe Clayton got it from the General, then I bought it from the Collector who got it from Joe.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
WOW!!!! Somehow we ended up with another shipped from Ruger to us in the 80's. I remember it coming in! Heck I even remember holding it! Could there be two different rifles???? Best I remember the latter rifle was a heavier rifle than a 1-A, but had open sights. But that's just the way I remember it. Hell it could have been a std #1-A. I remember us logging it in and the store manager telling us who it was for!

Interesting!!!!!

BN

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
BN,
Well, that certainly puts a different light on it. I would say Joe Clayton owned the first one by 1980; maybe General Megee had Ruger make him another one in 1981? Would be nice to know if the store records still are around and someone could look it up.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Uno!

I just sent you a PM!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Steve,
Great news that you got your rifle finally. Two .300 H&H's in No1 arrived in the country last week but unfortunately my order was third on the list so the wait goes on. The importer believes it will arrive in the next shipment hopefully. Post a photo will you to help ease the wait.

cheers

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
wantok,

Thanks, and looks like you are getting really close. Hope it arrives soon.

Don't have pictures yet because of my lack of computer and camera skills, but will get a friend to help after I get the lower rings from Ruger and mount the scope.

I do have 50 rounds of brass full-length re-sized, champfered and deburred,and primed along with 15 loaded cartridges ready to shoot, so I've not been wasting my time.

Steve

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Elvis
The 1-S Kudu model has a listed weight of 8.25lbs and the 1-S (standard for want of a better word)) model has a listed weight of 7.25lbs. Both with 26" barrels. Why the difference? Is it a misprint on Ruger's website? Have any of you fellas who have bought one weighed it?

Hey Elvis you big girl,
Feeling those advancing years are you! I can always let you use that Lithgow .22 single shot of mine if rifle weights are getting to you. Even better give me your rifles including that pretty little 1A in 7x57 and take up lawn bowls! I'll be down in a fortnight so I can pick them up then.

laugh

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Howzit Steve

One positive thing that I can say about the wait is that like you I have had time to purchase a set of dies, a Leupold VXII 2-7 and put an order in for brass. I'm not fussy as to what brand of brass, just will be happy to get some. I hope to get the brass before the rifle arrives so I can have some loads ready to go.

Safe shooting

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Until we get our rifles, it is all foreplay. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there is no substitute for the real thing.

Hope you get yours soon.

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wantok
[Hey Elvis you big girl,

laugh

Who are you calling a big girl? Ya big jessy! Had the little 1A 7x57 up the range today and put four Sierras into an inch. That'll do me. Will definately get another No.1 but not the .300H&H I've decided. Might go a 1A in .270 instead. If I want to shoot a .300 I'll just use yours. Thanks mate.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Go ahead and get the 300, I've got a 1-A in 270 I could
be arm-twisted into trading ya for it. Probably wouldn't even
ask any boot grin

About the weights, I don't think Ruger allowed for the extra
4" of barrel at all in the 7.25 guestimate.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looked at a #1-S this morning. It was pretty nice. Even though a bit heavier than the light sporter, the balance was really good.
However, there was a hairline at the tip of the forearm against the barrel. It also had a couple of other "box" blemishes as well. The shop owner and I saw that one ring/base assembly had popped out of its box while enroute and was slipping around. The moral of the story is to look them over closely in good light.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had another 1-S in .300 H&H pass thru my hands today...

DANG! Thats a sexy rifle!!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shows a lot of restraint there Ingwe! I assume you shouldered it. I thought the balance was really nice considering its an 8 pound rifle. Any surface blemishes?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My #1-S in 300H&H also had the rings flopping loose in the box, but there were no blemishes on the rifle.

Sure as hell I have a lot of blemishes on me though. It's an age thing!

Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't make any mention of rings over on the Yahoo
Ruger No.1 group wink I made casual mention while on another
topic that mine and another fellows were missing rings as
delivered, and got 'em all stirred up. According to them
over several decades, No. 1's with iron sights were not shipped
with rings. Nobody as much as out and said it, but I got the
distinct feeling my credibility was being questioned...
lots of "well, he SAYS" and "IF it's like he says" stuff.
BTW, my rifle did have the big paper hang tag tie-wrapped to
the trigger guard saying something about including rings,
a so-many-dollar value. But no rings. I called Ruger and they sent a set right out, only asked for the serial #.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My dealer is going to call someone at Ruger that he knows and advise him of this problem he is starting to see. Jees, 10 seconds with a staple in each blister pack would solve any freelance engraving by a loose ring. I hope they aren't getting sloppy to keep up with demand.
Is there a Ruger #1 site?

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/07/10.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
I made casual mention while on another topic that mine and another fellows were missing rings as delivered, and got 'em all stirred up. According to them over several decades, No. 1's with iron sights were not shipped with rings. Nobody as much as out and said it, but I got the distinct feeling my credibility was being questioned... lots of "well, he SAYS" and "IF it's like he says" stuff.

Jeff,

As I'm sure you are aware, the rings are now packaged individually. I recently purchased a #1 with only one ring in the box. blush

I didn't really think anything of it... Human nature being what it is... Mistakes can and do happen occasionally.

Also I'm well aware that it hasn't been all that long that rings were included on ALL Ruger #1 rifles. I suppose if I really wanted to know exactly when that came about, I could look it up in my file of old Ruger catalogs. I distinctly remember when that blessed event happened, because they made it very clear in their catalog.

Edw

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeffdwhite,

Guys who have large, expensive, collections at stake can get right squeamish about any criticism of Ruger and its #1s that potentially diminish the market desirability of #1s. They also tend to be unenthused about after-market improvements to pristine factory issue #1s that might diminish collector status and value. They can be great sources of info on detailed differences on early models. But you won't learn a lot about inherent shortcomings in prodcuition or marketing, the bad barrel era, or periodic sags in Ruger's final fit and finish standards.

On the broader issue of missing rings, I sometimes wonder if the folks who run and work in the shops do not raid the boxes?

1B

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.