-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was offered a Bamboo fly rod the other day that was built buy Wes Jordan. I am going to look at it probably later this week, its a three piece 8-wt with two tips in the original leather case and it is supposed to be in unused condition. If I buy this it will probably never be used but it would be nice in my game room. Any idea of values and what does one look at when buying a bamboo rod since I have never owned one but always admired their beauty.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Dino

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As with anything, it's condition is important. Wes built rods for the Cross Rod Co., South Bend, and Orvis (1939-1970). He was a very prolific builder, starting about 1926.

The rod should be straight without any serious sets. The ferrules should be tight on the rod as well as the guides and wrapping. The grip should be clean, without gaps in the rings, and not seriously stained or damaged.

The 8' eight weight was Wes' favorite rod. If it's Orvis marked, the value could be as much as $1500. Orvis rods had serial numbers that can be used to determine the date the rod was built.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, Wes Jordan built rods are pretty highly thought of in the collector market, as long as Orvis has verified that he was, in fact, the builder. They can do this pretty easily, and I would check it out before I bought the rod.

I have to say that 8wt bamboo fly rods are not very popular. It was probably a salmon or steelhead rod back in the day, but I have a feeling that the rod might feel a little like a big wet noodle. If its just for decoration, it won't matter.

IMHO, rather than pay good money for a rod that you probably won't use, and may not enjoy casting, I'd buy a reasonably priced bamboo fly rod from a current builder, in a weight, action, and length that you might want to use one day. Rods in 7 1/2' 4wt or 8' 5wt, are really popular for trout fishing. Bamboo rods are pretty to look at, but they are not delicate, they're build very tough and with reasonable care can be fished for many many years.

I could give you a few names of good current bamboo fly rod makers that sell at or under the $1000 mark. The quality, action, and workmanship are at least as nice as the older rods, and in most cases, even better.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the reply's and information. I am not planning on using the rod instead it will be just for display. I would however appreciate information on new bamboo rod builders, it would be nice to have something to use as well. I have a lifetime supply of modern rods and reels but bamboo rods for me are very impressive to look at and I think nostalgic to use.

Thank you again
Dino

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

249 members (280shooter, 30incher, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 39 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,323
Posts18,505,850
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.