Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys,

My daughter is going to turn 11 soon and wants to go hunting with her older brothers for dove in September. I have borrowed a cousins Rem 1100 28 ga to find out if she can hold and shoot it safely. She liked the gun, but she also didn't go through a box of shells either. I'm open to opinions as to what to look at. I wouldn't mind a 28 ga semi, but am considering a 20 ga semi as a choice too. I know she is still growing, but want her to enjoy shotgun shooting too. I'm planning on taking my wife to get fitted for a shotgun...if someone can recommend a place in the Houston area, I'd appreciate it too. I'm open to getting my wife whatever shotgun would be best for her...20 ga/ 12ga, but I would prefer it to be semi. My wife grew up hunting birds, but doesn't have a shotgun of her own. Additionally my wife loves the 28 ga Rem 1100 semi too. I do reload for my 12 ga and the boys 20 ga. I don 't mind buying another Mec to reload for the 28 ga if it what we end up with. I expect the daughter to end up going to the 20 ga and then 12 ga if she ever desires to and I'm ok with buying as many shotguns as necessary to keep them shooting.

28 ga choices I've looked into are the Rem 1100, and the Franchi AL 48

20 ga I'm all ears, Browning, Beretta, whatever

12 ga for the wife ?

I'd appreciate some advice and opinions,
Thanks...

The land of the free because of the brave.
GB1

D
D
Try this Husband and wife team in Houston... I think both your wife and daughter will thank you for giving them a good start BEFORE you buy a shotgun that doesn't fit....http://www.ospschool.com/

and that's not a dig on you... fit is ALL important and good initial coaching takes that and other important factors into consideration... can save a LOT of shells and lots of UN-learning bad habits. HTH

tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know of Gil and Vicki. I didn't think they offer to fit one to a shotgun? I was planning on looking into ASC to see about getting them fit. I actually wasn't going to purchase until I got them fit, but I believe there is a possibility that more than one choice will fit.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
tlfw
Been through part of this process before!

My 13 year old daughter has settled on a Mossberg Silver Reserve .410 after shooting 1100 Rem .28g, Beretta 687 20g, Browning BPS youth 20g, and a Beretta 391 20g. The key factors she stated are, weight (nothing heavy), fit (LOP, eye alignment, and shouldering), felt recoil (major factor), and success hitting targets (clays).

Just happened to have the Mossberg around for my son's when they were starting out. They quickly out grew the LOP and caliber. She tried it shooting Trap, did well (actually better than I expected), came away with a smile and announced this shotgun was now hers not her brother's. Liked the weight, fit, recoil, and she broke targets. When asked about the other guns, 20g have more sharp felt recoil snap and semi-auto guns are heavy.

In hindsight, I should have a 28g over and under, smaller receiver, lighter weight, more versatility in the field, and softer recoil for her. The price of a box of 28g had caused me to go with the 20g. Knowing what I know now, the 28g would be my choice.

tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My concerns are first safety...she has to be able to handle the shotgun safely. So weight is an issue. The lighter the shotgun, the easier it is to handle. The lighter the shotgun, the more recoil she will have to handle.

Second is fun factor...hitting targets makes for a fun time. Missing makes for frustration and not a high fun factor. The larger the caliber, the more pellets, the better the probability for hitting the target (assumming she can handle the shotgun physically).

I'd love to get the Franchi AL48 28ga, or the Rem 1100 28ga just because it is a fun gun to shoot. Expensive though, but considering she will likey not shoot more then my budget. Given that her twin older brothers can shoot a few cases of 20ga each per shooting session, her bill won't be too bad. I may just be kidding myself though and she starts shooting a case herself. blush

I also wouldn't mind getting a 20ga and/or a 12ga. I need to find someone/some place that they can get fit for shotguns and get some non-salesmen type, but rather instructor type professional help.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Franchi 28ga is a great choice. Light weight gun, low recoil of the 28ga shell, and the bonus that the 28ga shell has a lot of utility.

If you are looking for a 20ga, the Beretta line of semi-autos are great for weight/recoil issues. They are very soft shooting. There was a 390 model available from walmart for a while that was a great value and can be quiet the find on the used shelves. The older 301/302/303 were decent guns as well if price is an issue.

There is some rumor that Benelli is going to introduce a 28ga semi-auto along the lines of the Montefeltro. That will be expensive little gun, but should be a success!

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've seen the benelli 28ga for $1850. I don't think at this time I'll even consider it as real choice. Not to mention the gas system may have better recoil damping. I'm going to talk to the wife about a weekend group lesson with Gil and Vicki. I need to find out what options I have for my daughter.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would look at the Beretta 3901 in 20 gauge. I strted my son on that gun at about age 9. He is a big boy for his age. He is now 14 1/2 and prefers 12 gauges. My 12 year old daughter is now using the 20 gauge 3901.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good on ya for getting the gals in to shooting, and caring enough to do it right so that they'll enjoy it.

I shoot a 28 ga O/U, and love it! However, factory ammo is a bit steep, and even once fired hulls are two or three times the cost of 20 and 12 ga hulls, when you can even find them.

If you reload, why not consider a nice 20 gauge? A LOT more choices out there than a 28 ga. Besides, most 28's are built on 20 ga frames anyway.

Load the 20 ga with 3/4 oz loads (the same payload as most 28 ga loads), and the recoil will be similar. You'll have the added benefit of more versatility, being able to pick up light factory loads if needed, and can find at least some sort of factory 20 ga load everywhere if ever in a pinch.

For your wife, load a 12 ga down to 7/8 oz loads, the standard 20 ga payload. Same recoil and factory load availability as above if needed.

I load my 12 ga with 7/8 oz loads, and it's a dream to shoot all day on the sporting clays course. Very little recoil, and breaks clays just like my old heavier kicking 1 1/8 oz loads did.

tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have purchased a Franchi 28ga AL48...just for the fun factor. I have told the wife that I want to go for a weekend shooting session class with the Ash's where she can try several shotguns to see what works best. I will get what she wants. I will also put my daughter in a private class and see if she can find a 20ga that will work for her. Both of them love shooting...mostly rifle shooting. They will shoot with me most anytime...I'm hoping the wife will get into the hunting side. The daughter loves to hunt with dad...

Thanks all for the advice.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,946
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.