Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by exbiologist
So is it cheating to use others to identify an area you want to hunt? If the guy who took the picture didn't want you to know, maybe you should respect that. Don't mean to be an ass about that, but I'd be pissed if I showed off a nice buck and someone tried to ID the area on an internet forum. If you already recognized the area, that'd be one thing, but I'm thinking this crosses a moral line. Just my opinion, sorry.

This post goes to Idared as well as exbiologist.

I figured this thread would turn to this kind of finger pointing as it always does...what a shame. Actually, this isn't about ID'n someones honey hole, I have several of my own and don't need another. This is actually a contest between a few hunting buddies I have as to who can come up with the correct answer. One person in the group knows the exact spot, I was just looking to get a leg up and win the free steak dinner. But hey, thanks for turning a good thread into a bad one with your BS assumptions. Another fine example of posting before thinking....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
you should have punched it into your GPS and you wouldn't be asking this question...

George I'm guessing you DID NOT read my original post. But hey, you gained a post count without actually reading something that you think you were replying accurately too. Hope you're not going through life like that, but to each his own I guess. laugh

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Bringitbig

I figured this thread would turn to this kind of finger pointing as it always does...what a shame. Actually, this isn't about ID'n someones honey hole, I have several of my own and don't need another. This is actually a contest between a few hunting buddies I have as to who can come up with the correct answer. One person in the group knows the exact spot, I was just looking to get a leg up and win the free steak dinner. But hey, thanks for turning a good thread into a bad one with your BS assumptions. Another fine example of posting before thinking....

Well, sorry if I turned a good thread into a bad one. You might have mentioned why you wanted to know in your first post to avoid that happening. And for your information I waited and thought quite a while, over 24 hours, before asking if we were looking for someones "Honey hole"?

Sorry it upset you and I am truly sorry I ever responded to your post in the first place. I hope you win your steak dinner.

Please pass on my congratulations to the hunter on his fine Mule Deer. I especially like the double eye-guards. They are unique.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Idared

Well, sorry if I turned a good thread into a bad one. You might have mentioned why you wanted to know in your first post to avoid that happening. And for your information I waited and thought quite a while, over 24 hours, before asking if we were looking for someones "Honey hole"?

Sorry it upset you and I am truly sorry I ever responded to your post in the first place. I hope you win your steak dinner.

Please pass on my congratulations to the hunter on his fine Mule Deer. I especially like the double eye-guards. They are unique.

Possibly you're correct, maybe I should have exposed my intentions as to my post. I guess I didn't think someone would "think" I was looking for privledged information. I stand corrected. I will address it now, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A HONEY HOLE FOR THIS AREA OR ANY OTHER AREA. So there it is, black and white, problem solved, I hope. And no big deal, glad you had the STONES to reply. Thank you!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread sucks

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
you should have punched it into your GPS and you wouldn't be asking this question...

George I'm guessing you DID NOT read my original post. But hey, you gained a post count without actually reading something that you think you were replying accurately too. Hope you're not going through life like that, but to each his own I guess. laugh
Were you born a dick or was it an acquired trait?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My guess is Soldier Mountain. The photo may me looking west toward the Trinity Mountains. Or pointing north toward the Sawtooths.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Now you've moved us into phase three: a funny thread. Thank you . laugh

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

You know what George, I didn't insult you with my reply to your post, why are you insulting me? I guess I can just chalk it up to you being the man you are.

Have a good evening.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
My guess is Soldier Mountain. The photo may me looking west toward the Trinity Mountains. Or pointing north toward the Sawtooths.

Ya know Idahoguy, I think you're on to something. I've actually rented a plane for a three hour flight time tomorrow to go look at that area. I'm doing the flying but I'm bringing 2 other, non-wagering steak dinner friends with me to try and ID the place. I will let you all know what I come across as the "contest, offically" ends this Sunday due to scheduling concerns.

Thank you for your post.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friends tell me where they kill stuff when we aren't hunting together.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by exbiologist
My friends tell me where they kill stuff when we aren't hunting together.

Gosh, I think that's great, but what does your comment really have to do with MY post? My hunting camp usually shares information as well, but as I mentioned this is a side-line bet. Which I might add that doesn't happen too often. We all get excited though when it does. It's almost like Geocaching, but just a pinch different.

Thank you for the follow-up post.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll stand by my assessment....troll on

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'll stand by my assessment....troll on

Troll? I have roughly 300 posts and none of which are "fishing" posts and you're calling me a troll? George, I'm assuming you're around the ripe old age of about 60 as it's painfully obvious you smoked way too much weed during the Woodstock era. As a matter of fact, I'm confident you are hitting the hookah pipe right now. Typically I'm not so defensive, but you my friend clearly deserve to be handled with reckless and inconsiderate thoughts and intentions.

Wait a tick, I just realized you live in NY. No wonder I consider your comments in my thread to be complete & unfounded horse [bleep]. Let me guess, you supported the re-introduction of wolves to the Western States. Give me your address and I'll send you a few packs.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Your physic powers of deduction suck as well....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Putting on my Sherlock-cap and taking a brief puff on the pipe ... Not �that� pipe ...
I would have to say .... �Elementary, my dear Watson ... �

In the first photo, the foreground valley (on its left side-wall) is still �evenly� snow covered (not drifted), from the top ... down to the bottom. While the right side of the valley (at similar elevations) is completely melted off . Thus the left-slope faces North, the right slope faces South and you are looking (down-canyon) West, to the range in the distance.

The apparent terraces, high on the left slope are likely the result of a common mining exploration practice of using a bulldozer and horizontally stripping a hillside, looking for veins of ore. The basalt (vs granite) cliffs, high up in photo number 3 help clinch it, since you can�t doze thru granite.

With no visible stumps (thus no previous logging), combined with the lack of serious current timber, indicates an elevation of approximately 6500+ ft. That, plus no homes or buildings visible on the exposed ridge down in the valley, means we�re very remote ... ie: not even in a rural populated area ... but yet not in a true Wilderness ... therefore, its in/on National Forest lands.

Translating the snow-level coverage (depth) at his location/elevation ... across the valley to the mountain range in view, we can estimate by the wide vertical extent of deep snow coverage, that the elevation of the main peaks in that range, are 9.5K-10.5K feet. Combine that, with the fact that the mountain range is rising up from the valley floor, as the range spreads toward its North end ... he�s clearly sitting in the foothills of the BXXXXXXXXX range, looking West toward the LXXXX range ... the nearest towns (that would show on a map) are ... LXXXX and LXXXXXX.

See that wasn�t so hard.

... Silver Bullet

Donner ... Party of 5 ... your �Relatives� are waiting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Silver Bullet and his Sherlock cap and pipe just proved me right!

grin

Originally Posted by Archerhunter
I see rocks laying around, forground and in the distance.
My guess would be the rocky mountains.

Is that a joke? grin

Now then.... since I was first to guess right do I get to come over for steak dinner? Actually I'd rather come along for the airiplane ride! smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm really tired after flying for many, many hours today, but I wanted to let those that actually have an interest in the thread that I found the place today. I'll post more in a day or two.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Oh, I'm not inviting you dvdegeorge....read your own posts directed towards me and you will "possibly" understand why I say that. You must really hate life. I wish you luck finding happiness in your own-self, maybe then you wouldn't have to bash other forum members without just cause.

Robert

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Your physic powers of deduction suck as well....

Dang it George, once again you leave me confused and dumbfounded to what your intentions and/or meaning of your post above. You said in your above quote the word "physic". I'm confused! Your spelling of the word, "physic", translates into medicine verbiage. However I think you're mentally and obviously spelling challenged, so I'll help you out with a little English 101. I suspect you meant to use the "CORRECT" spelling of, PSYCHIC, in order to in some way, insult me. I'll be glad to let you know I AM NOT a psychic...BUT I will bet that the school you went to DID NOT teach English OR spelling.

For future reference should you decide to insult a poster, try using correct spelling. I feel this possibly in some way will, (at least on the surface), give the impression you actually have any [bleep] idea of what you're talking about.

Take care.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My guess is somewhere in the White Knob Mountains above Mackay, looking west toward Salmon Challis NF, like toward the Pioneer Mountains, or just north of it.

Last edited by bearmgc; 03/04/10.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (01Foreman400, 338reddog, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 24 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.