Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I read a post(s) here re the scopes that have failed, U.S. vs. European, etc.

I have used/own various Leupolds, $60.00 Tascos, a Burris Compact 4-12....and many years later they ALL still work like when new! They don't wear out! They haven't even lost their zero after 25 years!

The most I paid for one was $470.00 (Leupold 6.5-20) about 10 years ago and that is the last one for me. A lot of guys apparently have WAY TOO MUCH money to play with....and not enough time to depreciate an investment in hunting a $1000.00+ scope.

You are getting clobbered by the advertising hype to buy something you don't need. What you need is to use the scopes you have, and the time you have left, and go hunting.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have scopes that my Father used to shoot 'chucks all over New England and New York during the 1950s and 1960s, Lyman and Unertl target scopes, that are as good today as when they were new. I have the 1st 2 scopes from my 1st 2 1970 vintage CF rifles, a Weaver K3 with a PCH reticle and a Weaver V7 with a Duplex reticle, and they would still do the job in the field. The old B&Ls, Lymans, Redfields, and Weavers are still capable, but the lens coatings aren't as good as the current crop of scopes.

My 1st Leupold, a 3-9x40 Vari-X, SN 889xx, has been around for at least 30 years. It has been mounted on a Winchester/USRA 70 in 6.5-284 for at least 10 years and is always waiting and ready to go afield when called upon. There isn't anything wrong with good quality older scopes, as long as the lenses are clean and dust/scratch free.

Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You are getting clobbered by the advertising hype to buy something you don't need. What you need is to use the scopes you have, and the time you have left, and go hunting.

What YOU need is open your eyes to reality.

Sell those old scopes you own to people like yourself and go buy the latest tech.
Better yet give them to a club for needy kids.

I'll bet you drive a 1983 Plymouth with a red interior.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first scope I ever bought was a SPI 4X (Scientific Precision Instruments)in 1967 when I bought my first rifle a post 64 M70 Win in 270. I was 17 and couldn't afford the most popular scope at the time the Weaver K4 which ran about $40. I still have that scope which I used for 20 years on the 270. It now resides on a 22 and the optics could be cleared but still serves yeoman duty. Don't think I would part with it.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35

What YOU need is open your eyes to reality.

I think the one that needs to see reality is you. BuckeyeSpecial is not saying that the new stuff isn't better, he is saying that the old stuff is still serviceable. You do not need the latest most expensive equipment to go hunting. I bet more animals are killed by Wally World Bushnells yearly than all the Euros put together.

By the way I drive a Dodge Ram.

Last edited by Prwlr; 03/01/10.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
he is saying that the old stuff is still serviceable.

Hey stud, no kidding, I just bought a 40 year old
Leupold 7.5x this morning and plan on mounting it on a Sako.

By the way I drive a Dodge Ram.

Yeah, I figured you did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buckeye-just curious where do you live and where do you hunt on a yearly basis?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then why did you flame BuckeyeSpecial, telling him to sell all his stuff?

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've an old 7.5 Leo as well, it's been hunted hard in and out of tough country and it still works like a charm.

One of my all time fav scopes.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Then why did you flame BuckeyeSpecial, telling him to sell all his stuff?

I think it was more like "why did he flame us".

I have a few old and new scopes there is a place for both.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If it wasn't for the improvements in optical coatings I wouldn't bother with new scopes. There are so many good redfields, weavers, lymans, etc out there for very little $$$. They tend to be built very well also.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a 3-9x42 Leupold on a Mauser 300HH bought it new in 1978 and still is a great scope, just as clear as the day I got it.How much more light and reliability would I get if I updated to a 2010 model?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good Lord,drivng a Dodge Ram and using a Leupold both,you have my condolences.I gotta sorta agree with Buckeye Special though.I own six Denver made made Redfield Widefields and a Lyman All American as well as seven Bushnell Elites,eight Nikon's and a couple of Zeiss Conquest's and Burris'.I've never had a failure in any of the scopes I own so far,but when it comes to quality I think anybody would be hard pressed to see a "major" difference in clarity and light transmission.I have no qualms with modern technology,but hunting here in Pa doesn't require a $1,900 Swarofski.I would never pay more for a scope than I did for my first car and have never not been able to harvest an animal due to having the wrong optics.Carry a good pair of binoc's (not Wal-mart specials) and that's all you should need.We all need to remember when we see these guys using $2000 scopes on tv,they didn't pay a dime for them !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sure, I've got plenty of older vintage scopes and use them,mostly 3 and 4X Leupolds,and they have given good service through the years and continue to do so.

One 4X on a pre 64 M70 has held zero on that rifle since....I dunno,maybe 15 years now.The scope dates to the 70's or early 80's I think.

I've also had ample opportunity to use some very current stuff lately; it's like night and day..... smile

But you can use each in its' place.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

But you can use each in its' place.

I'll bet that place keeps getting smaller and smaller and smaller

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Heehee grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSpecial
I read a post(s) here re the scopes that have failed, U.S. vs. European, etc.

I have used/own various Leupolds, $60.00 Tascos, a Burris Compact 4-12....and many years later they ALL still work like when new! They don't wear out! They haven't even lost their zero after 25 years!

The most I paid for one was $470.00 (Leupold 6.5-20) about 10 years ago and that is the last one for me. A lot of guys apparently have WAY TOO MUCH money to play with....and not enough time to depreciate an investment in hunting a $1000.00+ scope.

The fact is admit it or not that the better scopes offer much better optical clarity and resolution. Ask BobinNH about not being able to see his reticle at the range last week, because of the lighting and the reticle fading out to the point that he could not see it to shoot. He immediately picked up his rifle with the Summit and could make the shot.

Taking game doesn't mean that one scope is better than another or even as good

I took one of the Moose and shot the bear on the left in the picture that came in when we were cleaning my moose. I used my 475 with open sights, does that make it equal to a scope?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jwp475; 03/02/10.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If any of my Leupolds can't show me a reticle before the end of legal shooting time, I'd have it, that's the reticle, not the scope, changed. That's about $65 vs. $1500 for that S&B.
You can argue that in spite of their single coatings and age, most older scopes will work fine under almost any field conditions. Particularly if you have at least 6X in magnification availiable and you have a heavy enough reicle.
I've got a hunting buddy that has hunted all over the world with his old 4X Leupolds and his old steel tube Weavers. One of these old steel tube Weavers, a 6X, he used to kill one of the lessor african spotted cats at night. Without any help from anyone, I might add.
You can argue that there is a significant difference in performance between the older, single coated scopes and the newer, fully multicoated ones. But as to any significant difference between fully multicoated optics that just isn't so. Unless you are one of the euro addicts that insists that one cannot use the ocular to focus anything more than the reticle on a US style scope. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
...I used my 475 with open sights, does that make it equal to a scope?

Darn, you beat me to it! I was gonna say that I'm still using the same front bead that came on the shotgun my Dad gave me almost 46 years ago. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
If any of my Leupolds can't show me a reticle before the end of legal shooting time, I'd have it, that's the reticle, not the scope, changed. That's about $65 vs. $1500 for that S&B.
You can argue that in spite of their single coatings and age, most older scopes will work fine under almost any field conditions. Particularly if you have at least 6X in magnification availiable and you have a heavy enough reicle.
I've got a hunting buddy that has hunted all over the world with his old 4X Leupolds and his old steel tube Weavers. One of these old steel tube Weavers, a 6X, he used to kill one of the lessor african spotted cats at night. Without any help from anyone, I might add.
You can argue that there is a significant difference in performance between the older, single coated scopes and the newer, fully multicoated ones. But as to any significant difference between fully multicoated optics that just isn't so. Unless you are one of the euro addicts that insists that one cannot use the ocular to focus anything more than the reticle on a US style scope. E

If you are happy with them that is great by me. But don't try and BS me that they will hang with the better optical scopes, because they will not. If one does not want to pay what the better optical quality scopes cost, I have no problem with that and totaly understand. At the same time don't try to tell me that there is no difference, because ther is. I have used, Bushnell cheap ones and the 4200 Elite, Leupold, Zeiss (Conquest and Divaria) Meopta, Tasco, Shepard, Nightforce, S&B and probably a few others that I don not recall at the moment. A reticle change in a Leupy is not going to bring it up to the top scopes in any type of condition. Fantasy's is a fun place, but reality trumps every time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.