Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Best source for fast news has been Snowflakes in Hell's Twitter feed. Nothing new posted for the past 15 minutes.

Dave Hardy thinks we have our five votes, and that's the main news. No hint of which basis they will use for incorporation.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm no lawyer so I'll bow to your expertise, but from what I read she about turned herself inside out to justify her last appellate decision over guns.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
The Court would have to develop some really bizarre oppositional theories to now rule against stare decisis precedent as to incorporation.

If we win, I bet those bizarre theories will be authored in the Dissent by Stevens and Ginsburg. laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Analysis

The Supreme Court on Tuesday seemed poised to require state and local governments to obey the Second Amendment guarantee of a personal right to a gun, but with perhaps considerable authority to regulate that right. The dominant sentiment on the Court was to extend the Amendment beyond the federal level, based on the 14th Amendment�s guarantee of �due process,� since doing so through another part of the 14th Amendment would raise too many questions about what other rights might emerge.

When the Justices cast their first vote after starting later this week to discuss where to go from here, it appeared that the focus of debate will be how extensive a �right to keep and bear arms� should be spelled out: would it be only some �core right� to have a gun for personal safety, or would it include every variation of that right that could emerge in the future as courts decide specific cases? The liberal wing of the Court appeared to be making a determined effort to hold the expanded Amendment in check, but even the conservatives open to applying the Second Amendment to states, counties and cities seemed ready to concede some limitations.

Great post, Steve. I think that sums up about all we are likely to learn today.

This analysis is hinting that getting strict scrutiny might be a tough battle, or that strict scrutiny might apply to a narrow right.

Looks like they are not going to stir up P&I. According to the writers I follow, that is not a surprise.

Mayor Daley will go down to bitter defeat. The Chicago gun ban will be overturned.

Last edited by denton; 03/02/10.

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
[O]ne thing appears clear: the justices are not yet ready to open what seems to them to be a can of worms by invoking the �privileges or immunities� clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as the way to apply the right to bear arms to states and localities. The more traditional route of the �due process� clause seems almost certain to be Court�s chosen path.
Alan Gura, who was arguing for the �privileges or immunities� route, ran into skepticism almost from the moment he began, when Chief Justice John Roberts Jr. said Gura had a �heavy burden� because his approach entailed striking down the Slaughterhouse cases of 1873.

Justice Antonin Scalia piled on by asking Gura why he�d take this more difficult path �unless you�re bucking for some place on a law school faculty.� The privileges or immunities clause, Scalia added sarcastically, has become the �darling of the professoriate.� Justice Stephen Breyer also seemed to opt for caution, asking Gura questions about the implications of using a new part of the Constitution to apply the Second Amendment to states.

The justices seemed almost to sigh in relief when former solicitor general Paul Clement, representing the National Rifle Association on the same side as Gura, rose to reassure the justices that using the due process clause was a �remarkably straightforward� way to apply the Second Amendment that would not involve upsetting precedent.

From Tony Mauro at BLT. link

Last edited by denton; 03/02/10.

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The justices seemed almost to sigh in relief when former solicitor general Paul Clement, representing the National Rifle Association on the same side as Gura, rose to reassure the justices that using the due process clause was a �remarkably straightforward� way to apply the Second Amendment that would not involve upsetting precedent.
=============

I'm glad the NRA picked up on that potential concern. It's what your dues paid for folks!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
May not be a lawyer, but it seems that Gura was set up right right from the get go. The quotes I'm seeing look like they took Gura's case so they could essentially gut any future attempts at P&I, but still awarded Clements time so they could actually rule on the incorporation issue.

I'm eagerly awaiting the transcript, maybe I'll be proven wrong.

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
An attempt by an attorney for the cities of Chicago and Oak Park, Ill., defending local bans on handguns in those communities, to prevent any application of the constitutional gun right to states, counties and cities looked forlorn and even doomed. The nub of that argument by James A. Feldman of Washington was that, unlike other constitutional rights that the Court has extended to the state and local level, the right to a gun recognized by the Court two years ago in District of Columbia v. Heller pitted the threat that guns pose to human lives against a constitutional right, so the balance should be struck differently. So far as the hearing Tuesday showed, Justice Stephen G. Breyer was the only member of the Court attracted to that approach.

From SCOTUSBLOG.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

=============

I'm glad the NRA picked up on that potential concern. It's what your dues paid for folks!!

And here I thought it was for the hat, magazines, sticker and use of the range.

Forgive me--It's snowing down here AGAIN. The freakin' stuff is following me everywhere. I'm losing my mind.

GO IL!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
=============

Hey,
Where are the anti-NRA sheeples now, with their double-speak, psycho-babble? I hate to shove a wonderful performance by the NRA in their face but ... actually, their silence is refreshing.

William Clunie
IC B3

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
From Dave Hardy:
Just got back from oral argument. Short form: I think we have five votes. MIGHT do better than five, but five seem secure. Roberts, Scalia and Kennedy seemed VERY strongly against Chicago's position, Alito seemed against it, Thomas asked no questions but is thorough pro-2a and 14thA, so it looks like the Heller majority holds. Conversely, Breyer attacked Heller and kept arguing against incorporation. Majority did not like privileges or immunities, but due process seemed solid.

Humor: the room was packed, hundreds of people, every seat taken. After McDonald, the Court remained in place to hear the next case. As I left I heard the chief justice say "Well, counsel, WE're still here." I looked back and saw what he meant -- there were perhaps 20 people staying for the next case, as hundreds left.

Dave is a very prominent figure in 2A law. link

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PAUL_M
The Court would have to develop some really bizarre oppositional theories to now rule against stare decisis precedent as to incorporation.

If we win, I bet those bizarre theories will be authored in the Dissent by Stevens and Ginsburg. laugh

I figured that by now Ginsburg would be in the state of doing a capt Pike routine from Star trek, you know, green light for yes, red light for no?
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"The Court would have to develop some really bizarre oppositional theories ............"

Now you really got me on 'pins and needles!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by remseven
"The Court would have to develop some really bizarre oppositional theories ............"

Now you really got me on 'pins and needles!

Oh, CRAP! I was feeling pretty good till you said THAT!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 340boy
I figured that by now Ginsburg would be in the state of doing a capt Pike routine from Star trek, you know, green light for yes, red light for no?
grin
grin Only a handful here know what you're talking about.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I

-------------

Thanks Denton. I was quite impressed with Gura who did a superb job of arguing the longshot route of incorporation. Gura argued it articulately, persuasively and stuck to his guns even with the barrage of questions from the Justices unwilling to step in that pile.

I'll bet a whole dollar it's incorporated via Due Process with some minor suggestion in the Opinion of reasonable restrictions being permissible and then we dilly-dally in the states for a year or so till some piece of that dilly-dally finds it's way back the the SC for the scrutiny determination.

My gut....it ends up all being the way it is now in most gun friendly states and the usual prohibited persons will remain the same and folks won't be able to walk the streets with IEDs and grease guns. Some version of THAT anyways, without any more cities or states being able to continue standing in the way of THAT. A long, long way to reasonable but that's where I'm drawing my craps line as to how it all plays out!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do members of the majority ruling get a little bent when an attorney tries to re-argue a case?

Originally Posted by CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS
That sounds an awful lot to me like the argument we heard in Heller on the losing side.

Just wondering as a non-attorney. wink

Carpe' Scrotum
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I think both the Justices and Feldman knew the awkward predicament Feldman found himself in today. He was mere window dressing for a untenable position and all arguing today had a fair clue as to where the majority would be leaning. Sometimes lawyers find themseleves in that predicament but you still have an advocacy role and a task at hand.

Those 30 minutes in that chamber,if you're thoroughly prepared,win or lose, has got to be one of the ultimates in mind blowing experiences for an attorney. I wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes today but I'd rather have been in his shoes today than mine,if you understand my point.

Last edited by isaac; 03/02/10.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fully understand.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (17CalFan, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,698
Posts18,475,238
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.