-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone had a revolver �Taylor Throated�? This is where about a 1 or 2 caliber freebore is put into the forcing cone. What were your experiences? Good, bad, not worth the trouble? I�ve read some good things on it. But I was wondering why, if it causes such a great accuracy improvement, it is not mentioned more often.<P>Also, has anyone had any dealings with Alpha Precision? <A HREF="http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com" TARGET=_blank>www.alphaprecisioninc.com</A> <BR>They offer the Taylor throating and cylinder throat sizing for a fairly reasonable price. At least I think it is reasonable, there doesn�t seem to be many other companies offering this service.<P>I have a new Ruger Bisley with tight throats and the usual constriction where the barrel meets the frame. I�ve fire lapped about 6 Ruger revolvers with LBT lapping compound and sanded the throats out with varying results. Some great, some indifferent, and I ruined a nice .357 when I was first trying this. So, I figured instead of applying my usual shade tree gunsmithing to this nice Bisley I might send it off to a professional, but wanted to check around before spending my hard earned cash.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim,<P>I did my own taylor throat on my sbh, but I can't be positive of the results, as I'd developed a flinch that was the cause of my inacuracy. It certainly didn't seem to hurt, and I was able to push 320's 1250 fps from a 4 5/8" barrel. <P>As far as Alpha Precision, I haven't heard anything bad about their work, certainly appears that they know what they are doing.<P>Now the burning question, have you shot the new bisley yet, or just measured it? I wished I shot more and measured less, as many guns that measure less then ideal, shoot like a house a fire. As far as tight throats, unless they are at or over bore dia, they shouldn't be a problem. I was a bit dejected to measure the throats on my 480 and find them .4785", but even with bullets that come out as cast .4765", it'll group them right in there.<P>There was a good discussion of throating on the sixgunner campfire, go back a few pages, I started it last week.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
��have you shot the new bisley yet, or just measured it?�<P>I had to smile at that, guilty as charged, at least in the past. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>This time I am shooting it first. Have gotten mixed results, some groups scatter, some are showing great promise. Had a couple where it put 5 all touching but the sixth was two inches away so I tested to see if one chamber is off. Doesn�t appear to be, seems like it was just user error. I have a 4 5/8� Bhawk .45 that handles great but two chambers consistently throw their bullets out of the group. Can get four touching or right close together, then invariably two out a ways at 5 o�clock to the main group. Arrgghhh!!!<P>Anyway, will put about 200-300 jacketed slugs through the bore to smooth things out before doing anything else, then try different sized cast bullets, different styles, etc.<P>Ya know, now that I think about it, maybe I�ll send that 4 5/8� gun to Alpha to try Taylor throating it and see what happens. If it doesn�t work, no problemo as I was going to sell it anyway. <P>P.S. I found the discussion you were talking about (I think) at sixgunner.com, but it is really hard to follow the threads the way they are arranged.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,386
Posts18,527,640
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.