Posted this on another board as well as here, it is an interesting result of taking 458 Lott's advice in the "Taylor throating" thread, which was matched by the advice of others.<P><BR>I read too much. A revolver just won�t shoot straight unless the bullets fit the chamber throats just so and the bore is exactly .001� under bullet diameter, the forcing cone is just so and it has an 11 degree crown.. Knowing exactly what it takes to make an accurate revolver I just had to mess around with the last three or four Blackhawks I�ve owned (or is it 5 or 6 now?). I mean, 7 years ago I firelapped a .41 Mag. Bhawk and polished out the throats and made it supremely accurate. Puts my 220 grain LBT WFNGC�s right on top of each other. Been searching for a .44 or .45 that will do the same thing, hence the messing around with the �last three or four�. <P>When I go to look for a new revolver I carry a couple of jacketed bullets that I have miked, a feeler gauge and a magnifying glass. Check for good crowns, throat tightness, B/C gap, everything I can. I looked at seven different Ruger .45�s one day and got the best of the bunch. Then had a gunsmith hone the throats to a perfect .452, adjust the timing, recrown it, trigger job, the works. Then I firelapped it so a slug passed through the barrel easily. <P>That thing wouldn�t shoot worth crap! Sold it for a big loss. I have another out of the box .45 Bhawk that I�ve started to firelap and it shows promise, but still shoots 25 yard groups in the 3� range, maybe 2 ��. <P>A couple of weeks ago I chanced upon one of the new Ruger stainless 5 �� Bisley .45�s with adjustable sights. Snapped it up with about two seconds thought. The throats are very tight, a slug passed through the bore that mikes .451� can just barely be pushed through them. I looked into Taylor throating and honing the throats and all of the accuracy stuff that can be done. As part of this research I read Jim Taylor�s admonition at sixgunner.com to �just shoot it first and don�t worry about the measurements.� <P>So I did. <P>Straight out of the box, plain old Oregon Trail 255 SWC�s over 8.0 gr. 231, or heavier loads of 296 will group right at an inch or inch and a quarter for about 5 of 6 shots at 25 yards. Hornady 250 grain XTP�s under a full charge of 296 going about 1250-1300 fps will also cut one big raggedy hole about an inch and a half across. Put four out of five of that load into �� on one group! Not every load is so accurate, it does not seem to like 2400 so far, is picky about the charge weight of IMR 4227 and does not get along with 300 grain XTP�s so far. Also, I have to be very careful as I tend to get flinchy shooting 50 or 60 of these full power loads in one sitting, so sometimes I throw a flyer but that�s user error, not the gun. <P>Anyway, all of the shooting so far is with 11 and 12 times fired cases of varying length. I trimmed and prepped some new cases yesterday and will be getting a Redding competition seating die today or tomorrow so we�ll see what happens when I feed it really good ammo. <P>Maybe I got a really good gun. Maybe I should have tried more extensive load development with the others before messing with their dimensions. <P>Just goes to show ya, if you�re going to shoot, shoot. Don�t measure.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!