Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
hope this is not to much to ask but has anyone built an oven for cerakote baking if so could you post up a pic and a brief how-to.thanks.

Last edited by bocephus; 02/27/10.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a local HVAC dealer make me a sheet metal box 12x12x40, as well as a baffle 4" tall to place in the bottom.
I then put two electric charcoal starters in it wired up to a ceiling light dimmer switch. Drilled a hole in the middle of the box cover and put a candy thermometer in the hole.

To adjust temp, just turn the dimmer switch up or down till it reaches desired temp. Then mark the switch.

You could build the box out of 1x12's or 1x6's and line it with foil faced fiberglass insulation.

Sorry, no pics of it on hand and it's fouteen miles to town where my box is at.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"You could build the box out of 1x12's or 1x6's and line it with foil faced fiberglass insulation."

exactly what I just did....

going to use a heat gun(HF $10) and regulate the temp by opening and closing holes in the box covered with duck tape....

simple turkey frying thermometer will do...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Doesn't it take 350 degrees for an hour?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I read somewhere about building one out of a garbage can with a heater in the bottom.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I was thinking of making one out duct pipe with an adjustable hot plate in the bottom.also I've never blasted anything in my life,how much media does it take to do a rifle or shotgun?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
250 for 2 hours

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here is the one I built a few years ago. The chip board was $7/sheet, the coil was $8 (rest of the stuff I had on hand). The heat is adjusted by a simple dimmer switch. When I first tested it, I took it past the thermometer - until the wood around the screw eyes inside started to smoke smile. Two changes I would make: use rigid aluminum to line it, and use high temp silicone around the posts.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had thought of making one that would hold a barreled action, but I never made it.

What I was thinking about was using a piece of heating duct from Home Depot, metal pipe about 8" in diameter, with a hot plate in the bottom. Or a charcoal starter, as mentioned. I hadn't thought of the light dimmer switch, but that is an idea, too.

A heat lamp bulb might get it hot enough.

I thought of using it vertical and just hanging the barreled action inside, and a cap on the top to keep the heat in.

If the heating duct pipe lost heat too fast, then I thought about wrapping it with fiber glass insulation.

But, I never did do it. Just throwing the idea out to see if anyone wants to try it this way.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
how much alum/oxide does it take to blast a barreled action,I have no clue i've never blasted anything before.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It all depends on the size, and style of your blast box.
Small box, 15-20 lbs..
Box long enough for barrel and action,, 40-50 lbs

Aluminum oxide is like flour, it is fine, but heavy. In fact, a fifty pound bag is around the size of a 25lb flour bag.. ...
And make sure you have no air leaks, this stuff will fly right out of the box� Oh, and it is not cheap�..
Those that want to do one item, might want to just send it to someone like Edie or myself.. We have a lot invested into our equipment, and licenses, and could use the extra work..
Just a thought...

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
15 years ago I tried Brownell's lacquer bake on process in the kitchen oven.
I still have brain damage from the fumes.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I wanted something nicer. I went with an aluminum truck tool box with a single lid. I've just ordered some engine bay insulation from whitney to wrap it in. I have a small house trailer oven for the heating concerned parts. Overkill, sure, but will it work, for sure.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bocephus, here is a cheap easy oven that'll work great for ceracoating barreled actions.

Buy a piece of 8" double walled vent pipe. Next, buy some pipe insulation, a BBQ grill thermostate, an "eye" bolt and a paint can lid. All these items you can buy at Lowes.
Next you need a hotplate and you're in business.

It'll look like this and it'll work great.

The bottom of the 48" vent pipe sits open on top of a hot plate. The thermostate on top tells the tempreture and is adjusted by the heat setting on the hotplate.
[Linked Image]

Top, paint can lid with thermostat and eye bolt installed.
[Linked Image]
inside, action is hung from eye bolt and hangs in the heated tube.
[Linked Image]

Terry

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Excellent Terry

lot's less work than I went to

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mine is similar to Terrys', but I used 8 and 10 inch duct and put the insulation in between. Also, since I break the barrel/action down, I just made it 30 inches tall.

One thing though, when I put the BBQ thermometer in the cap and it read 300, I found that at the bottom of the duct it would be closer to 400 degrees. I ended up experimenting with a temp probe on a wire and finding what it took to get a happy medium.

Also, for the small parts (shroud, bolt stop, extractor, trigger, screws, etc.) a second hand toaster oven from a yard sale works great. Just have to be creative on hanging the parts.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Take a look at this as well: Building a heater oven.

smile Stuart

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Dang, you guys have a lot of good ideas--lot simpler than the oven I built years ago..........

Gonna bookmark this thread.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
250 degrees for 2 hrs = 50 degrees for 10 hrs. Can I do this in a cool basement?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If you deep freeze it, it undoes the work.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, Aero, 13 invisible), 1,318 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.