Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
When using a barrel vise, such as the Davidson, is it advisable to use either brass or lead 'shim stock' between the barrel and vise jaws to provide an extra measure of protection to the barrel finish? Other suggestions?

Davidson Barrel Vise

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just use oak wood blocks and rosin and a 1 in breaker bar.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the Brownell Barrel Vise and use the fitted Aluminum Bushing with rosin. With the Davidson you can use brass with rosin .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
plus 1 on using rosin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
+ 1

ROSIN !

......on the Mill vise, and Lathe chuck jaws, tool posts, and many other day to day applications ,.....as well.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use powdered sugar instead of rosin. Grocery store's carry it, grips better than rosin, won't mar the finest finish and washes off under a hot water tap.

[Linked Image]

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I may try the sugar when i run out of rosin

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Malm
I use powdered sugar instead of rosin. Grocery store's carry it, grips better than rosin, won't mar the finest finish and washes off under a hot water tap.
I did not know that... Learned something new today.. smile

Thanks Malm..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shim stock and rosin, or just rosin (or powdered sugar)?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I use lead blocks with a round channel cast into them, and some rosin. Powdered sugar sounds like a sweet idea, (pun intended).

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
I did not know that... Learned something new today.. smile

Thanks Malm..

Sorry for going off topic here, but this is just so damned refreshing! Here's a guy (Redneck) who we all know has vast gunsmithing knowledge, and he ADMITS to learning something new! A fool can be very a very intelligent person, yet he is unteachable because he THINKS he knows it all. Consequently, due to his arrogance, the fool remains a fool. Conversely, a wise man is aware of his own ignorance, and he therefore continues to learn even after attaining a high-level of knowledge. Like I said, sorry for going off-topic, it's just that I've got some know-it-alls rubbing me the wrong way today.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hell, I've been doing gunsmith work for more than 35 years and I had never thought of powdered sugar instead of rosin. Makes sense when you think about it.....but never occured to me.

Just inforces the idea I always say at work.....even the greenest hand or idiot will sometimes come up with an idea that makes you think, "Why didn't I ever see that".

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're not really calling Malm an idiot are you? smile

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The aluminum vise that was pictured is not really intended for factory barrel removals; really is a light duty vise. These are tossed in the shooting/loading box and used with switch barreled guns where the torque required for install or removal is not very heavy; just line up the index marks. A very nice vise for that duty. The benchresters use this type of vise on their switch barreled rifles, all they do is to install a card around the barrel to protect those mirror finishes; almost all use a rear entry wrench as well.

If one wants an all around type barrel vise, but not necessarily to take to the shooting line rear area(weight), the basic style in the Brownell's catalog is used a lot. Heavy steel and the use of bushings; aluminum, steel, or aluminum with acragel castings, works great. It will stand the high torque sometimes needed to remove a factory barrel without slippage.

Lots of ways to protect the facory barrel to be removed. Some tape the barrel breech area with some masking tape(1 turn) and use the dry rosin; one might make sure to wipe down the surfaces of the inserts and barrel with acetone to remove any previous oils prior to rosin. Lead shims and babbet can be used with certain applications as well.

Lots of methods to remove barrels, just one way of looking at such efforts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sugar, well I'll be

I Love this place,...thanks for that tech-tip, Malm !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're welcome!

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJD
You're not really calling Malm an idiot are you? smile

I was wondering that myself.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

[Linked Image]

I learned that very same trick off another Utah gunsmith...
must have been one of those P.O. Ackley tricks that he handed down and a lot of gunsmiths picked it up.. or maybe it just is a good example of Mormom ingenuity and trift...

sure works like a charm!

another spiffy trick I learned off a Utah gunsmith buddy, was when a head is stripped out on a screw, put wet baking soda on there, with the screw driver head down in the slot, let it dry a little.. it will give the grip needed to get the screw out in most cases..

Last edited by Seafire; 03/09/10.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Anybody ever use newspaper? A gunsmith I knew used that all the time and it worked well.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire

I learned that very same trick off another Utah gunsmith...
must have been one of those P.O. Ackley tricks that he handed down and a lot of gunsmiths picked it up.. or maybe it just is a good example of Mormom ingenuity and trift...

It was a toss up between Green Jello Salad, Funeral Potatoes or powdered sugar. grin

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 56 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,622
Posts18,512,002
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.