Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
As you can see I am fairly new to this blog but certainly old to this world. I have several BDC scopes and need another. I decided to try something other than more Leupolds and Huskemaws although they work great and exactly as I had been told. They are a bit bulky. Has anyone used a Shepherd (they have been around for decades but I have only seen one on a rifle in the field) or one of the new Bushnell 6400s? I want a relatively light weight scope of medium magnification to complement a rather light weight 7 Rem Mag. Your opinions will be valued.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Shepherd and Huskemaw would be the last turds I'd put on any of my rifles.

Stick with Leupold, or if you have to branch out, Nikon, IOR, Zeiss, or Sightron are a considerable step up from the chinese garbage rebadged as Huskemaw and the never-the-right answer Shepherd.

Haven't looked through the 6400s, but NOT a fan of Bushnell's track record.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
It is my opinion that I can write off the comments in the preceeding reply as the guy obviously has little or no experience with these various scopes. I see errors in two of his three sentences. By the way I have quite a few Leupolds but there is a problem with their B & C models insofar as my use on long shots. Nikons often exhibit focusing problems on the high end, I gave up on them when they moved from Japan to Taiwan years ago. I won't deal with the paralax shortcomings in Sightrons. Zeiss is good, not great, but to heavy for this particular application. I have not owned a Bushnell since I was a kid due to the same track record VAnimrod mentioned. However people who are open minded enough to try this series have nothing but excellent things to say. By the way Huskemaws are made in Japan, much like an oriental Nightforce but not quite U.S. Optics.

Last edited by ishawooa338; 03/01/10.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ishawooa338
Zeiss is good, not great,

Well, I know I can write you off, no question at all in my mind. The Zeiss Victory series and Hensoldt are among the best, if not the best, scopes one can use.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Please read my notation that the Zeiss is to heavy for this particular application. Weigh one and compare to similiar American or oriental models. Also check the length and bulk. Again I am interested in a high quality BDC, medium in weight and reasonable regarding bulk scope for a rifle capable of one shot kills on elk at 500 yards or more. My options appear to stick with my Leupolds (limited top end power with ranging capability unless you have them reworked), Huskemaws (a little heavy and bulky but good), Zeiss (it has failed me twice and been to sent in twice, sometimes it is a little rough in the Rockies, its hell when its well), S & B (typical European, great glass but big), and Nightforce (again large and bulky but otherwise no complaints). I was simply hoping someone might have a better idea, indeed you do have ideas, just not better. Good night pards.

Last edited by ishawooa338; 03/02/10.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Find a Leupold you like and order a custom reticle for it.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ishawooa,considering where you live and hunt,your needs to go beyond 500 yards,and age (yours and mine grin......I would blow the farm,dump the lesser stuff,and get a Schmidt Bender Precision Hunter,which at 20 oz's may or may not be too heavy....

But it seems to me if a guy is serious about going past 500 yards it is tough to have a mountain-weight rifle/scope combo and light weight as well; a bit of additional weight may not be bad if the horse is carrying it....

If you can get by without the ballistic reticles and turrets and want something a bit lighter and not too bulky,look at the Summit.I thought this thing was "big" when I got it,but it barely upsets the balance of a light 270 for me....I would put it on a big 7 in a heartbeat.I can't think of any elk country I've been in that I would be concerned about using it.

I shot mine at 600 yards yesterday....it is the first scope I have owned that was as good at 600 yards as my 10X binoculars....

My experience with these scopes is limited to an example of "one",and I may be going way out on a limb here.....but I've been shooting other brands for years; in the past few weeks with the Summit.......I've seen enough.

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/03/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
JustSayMoe, thanks for the idea but I have several in my safe, I just happened to choose rather large models with high magnification. Overall for the money and warranty they can't be beat. BobinNH, the horse indeed hauls the rifle most of the time for the past 30 years or so but as I get older it becomes tougher taking the 26 inch barrel long case magnums with huge scopes on up the ridge. I also have a S&B but not the model you mentioned, really like it. I had not considered the Summit but certainly will check it out as perhaps that is what I have been looking for. I appreciate both your replies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up one of the new Leicas. Fantastic scope and 17 ozs in the 3.5-14 model I ordered. They have a BDC type reticule available (I didn't get it)and they also have a Turret system coming out that will retrofit it. Not cheap but no more than NF, S&B, or USO. The Vortex Viper PST series come in about 23 ozs which may be an option as well. I have not looked through one. The Minox may also be an option with Conquest level glass and BDC type reticule. I think it weighs 14 ozs in the 3.5-14 model with BDC. Clak98ut on here just reviewed one in 2-10x40 and was impressed.
Lee

Last edited by Ebby; 03/04/10.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Let me get this right. You want a BDC dial for your load ? What magnification range will make you happy ? Do I understand that a "long range" reticle is not what you want ? E

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Find a used Kahles or Swarovski with the TDS reticle. Can't for the life of me figure out why these two companies discontinued that reticle. Best thing going for a 7mm mag out to 600 yards. Be on the lookout for a Kahles AH 3.5x10x50 w/TDS. That was an incredible value in a 13.5oz scope.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I consider 500-750 yards mid to long range. I use BDC and turret adjustable scopes. I have rifles for timber and also 1000 yard rifles all of which are proven many times over. The Leica seems very appealing given the excellent luck and use I have had from their range finders and binoculars. I have a NIB Kahles Helia, I think, 3x-12x MZ x 56 mm, I suppose I could put on the little 7 mag if the Leica or Summit does not work out. Actually I have never done more than read the instructions for the Kahles when a friend gave it to me a few years ago. Seemed a bit complicated but then so are a few of the others we have discussed. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 63 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,441
Posts18,507,734
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.