-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I swapped for one in 40 s&w.it shoots good and I like it fine.It appears the only safety is the little lever on the trigger.I've got a carry vest,but it seems like any carry method would be unsafe with a round in the chamber.<p>Am I overlooking something?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes. You are over looking something. The Glock has been dropped tested from 3rd story windows safely-the only pistol I know of that can be treated that way. Even the famous 1911 Colt-my favorite-can't claim that.
It's as safe as any thing is with a loaded chamber. E

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think I would think more like Gene on this one. The divise is shock proof but thats falling not geting pushed and poked like when someone is carrieing it.

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My concern is how do you draw the pistol without taking a chance on depressing the little lever?I thought maybe a belt holster would work.I was hoping maybe someone on here had experience carrying one.I know some LEO's carry Glocks but dont know if it's a different model.Anyhow,thanks for the input.gene

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gene,
I carry a G-17 at work and a G-30 off duty concealed.
Think of the Glock family as semi-auto revolvers.
There is only really one safety that works,and it's 'tween the ears,not on the pistol.
When drawing the Glock keep the trigger finger straight.That's it!Same thing with a revolver.
Carry with an empty chamber,negates any advantage of carry.It feels goofy trusting the little dingus on the trigger at first,but after a bit you get used to the idea.
If you get a chance,take a look at an exploded view of the Glock trigger system and you will see why it is that the Glock is safe untill the trigger is pulled.
Literally,the striker has no stored energy untill the trigger is pulled,and it is not in a position to strike the primer untill it is pulled.
If your G-22 makes you uncomfortable because of the light trigger,look into a New York 1 or 2 trigger.They both take a concentrated effort to discharge,just like an old S&W M10 in double action mode.
The Glock,because of no other external safety for folks to falsely rely on,s probably the safest pistol ever designed.
There is only one rule.If you don't wish to put a hole in something,keep your finger off of the trigger!From there it's just a bit of training and practice,like with everything else.
For Carry,I like the excellent Sidearmour holsters.Kydex is the greatest thing since sliced cheese for IWB carry!
I have a Galco Concealable and a Old world belt slide as well,but the IWB Sidearmor is the most comfy to me.
I just ordered a Waldon Sidewinder on reccomendation of a friend,for OWB carry.It sits high,with the muzzle almost flush with the bottom of a 1-3/4" belt.
High quality fit,and not too steep a price either!
www.waldonholsters.com
www.miltsparks.com
www.sidearmor.net
There are others.
For more help,check out www.glocktalk.com
Lotsa good folks there,just like here.
One other thing ya might consider is called
"A-Grip" for your G-22.Its this synthetic velvet stuff made of neoprene fuzz that comes in a sheet fitted to your Glock.It literally grabs your hand,and grips better when wet!!!
The inventor is a moderator over on GT,and came up with the idea from Kyaking and using the stuff on his paddles.
Be good ta have ya over there!
Take care!
E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gene, I carry a glock for work. As mentioned think of it as a double action revolver. The weapon is designed to have a round in the chamber. Get training if you feel uncomfortable carrying the firearm loaded. The gun is worthless without a round in a chamber. Next use a quality holster that covers the entire trigger. Another option that was stated is to get the trigger upgraded to a stiffer trigger. Practice with the firearm unloaded on drawing the firearm and placing it in the holster with your finger away from the trigger. Slow is Smooth and Smooth is FAST. Practice and Practice. Overall training is the most important thing and to follow proper gun handling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a little levity here, don't anyone get cranked.<p>My first thought was, "In the Trunk". If I owned one I wouldn't want anyone to see how ugly it was. This from a BHP lover.<p>Come on... It's a kind of a Chevy/Ford thing. Or a Winchester/Remington, Ruger/ Smith, etc.<p>2D

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm very much obliged to y'all.E4E told me what I wanted to hear.I dont have a problem carrying a revolver,just didn't think of the Glock that way.<p>I tried getting to a Glock website and saw glocktalk but dont know if I got there.Anyhow,I'll for sure check it out as soon as deer season is over.<p>I'm in a part of the country where I can wear a vest made for carry without getting a second glance from anyone.The ugly glock dont get seen.In the words of Darrel Royal;Ol' Ugly is better than ol'nuthin! I tried a S&W 9mm,then a Taurus 9,then a 38 smith in titantium,then a Taurus Tracker in 41[ still got it].I like the Glock best of all.Gotta get me some of them grips and one of them belt holsters.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I work with E4E and I use the same setup. G-17 duty gun and a G-30 off duty in a sidearmor holster. It's very comfortable and with practice it is very fast. The combat tupperware may be ugly, but it is the most reliable semiauto that I know of. You wont go wrong with it.
Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I had a glock 27 for a while but didn't like it that much and sold it. I am on the local search and rescue team and affiliated with the Sheriff Dept. They pack 1911s in 45acp and I shoot with them . When shooting the 45 in training we are taught to take up the trigger slack as we accire target. With the Glock there is no slack. I just wasn't comfortable with the Glock or should I say my finger on the trigger. If it was your primary firearm I am sure it would be a great choice. My conceal carry is either a 1991-A1 or one of my revolvers.Hiking I usually pack a S&W 629 mtn. gun (44 mag ) in a high ride.

IC B3

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gene,
<br>If ya need anything holler!
<br>I might be a day or two,but will get back with ya man.
<br>Keeb is another Glock sicko,and most likely will help you any way he can as well.
<br>Get ahold of Sidearmor and take a look see for a holster.
<br>If you do order,tell Patricia I sent ya!
<br>She hangs out on Glock talk on the concealed carry issues page.
<br>I'm wearing the Mark Waldon Sidewinder right now,on one of his EXCELLENT belts.If you are tired of looking for good Leather,and seeing over priced crap...give him a holler.He will make anything you need,and wont kill the bank account.
<br>Another resource is www.glockmeister.com for Glock goodies.
<br>Awww heck.Looking forward to seeing ya on Glock talk,all the good info is over there.Just bang around a bit and say hello to the gang over on the concealed carry board.Good crowd.
<br>Cheers!
<br>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't give up on me ECHO.I'll make it over to glocktalk.I haven't bought the holster and grips yet,but I haven't bought substitutes either.I paid all my plastic off at years end and cancelled card.{got mad at 'em} will email them and send money order or get another card or something.Hard to order stuff without one !!!!!!

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gene,
<br>One thing I have learned on the boards is that folks is folks,and not to give up!
<br>Stop in and say hello over on Glock talk,it dosn't cost a dime.There you can toss around ideas,and have folks that carry the things,hit you with informed opinions.
<br>Patricia and her Hubby Jeff(Who makes the Side armor holsters one at a time) are a main stay...kinda like JJ. is here.Lotsa folks choose other rigs,but no one can trash Side armor.Same goes for Brooks Spier,the guy that makes the A-grip,and Moderator under the handle "Taz 10'm"
<br>This site has folks from the hunting angle of things that are future Icons,and current Icons of the hunting side.
<br>GT has several folks that are at the forefront of the defensive world.I have it on good accord that Evan Marshall(Of one shot stops fame),John Farnum,and a couple of others post under assumed handles there.
<br>Evan for one is a friend,and admits to being a GT junkie.
<br>Don't just take my and Keebs word for it.Ask over there,and make a good solid informed decision that works for you and your personal situation.
<br>I hate a balance on the plastic,and I know what you are saying.....Life is too short to live it,owing someone you never would sahre a beer with!
<br>If ya need my E-mail holler!
<br>Be glad to crack a cold one with ya!
<br>Cheers!
<br>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hello, I also own a G22, it is a fine pistol. Mine is in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster with mag pouch, also have the curved belt from M.S. This rig has been with me for 4yrs now and is very comfortable. I do like the GLOCKS for their easy of operations, and reliablity. Mine shoots about 3" at 25yrds with the 155's. Some of the Favorite loads for defensive ammo include the 135gr. bullets from Cor-Bon, and the 155's from Fed, and Rem. Two of my favorite pistols are the GLOCKS and SIG's...Another favorite rig, I like is the Kramer holsters. Either way you can't go wrong...Take Care MVGS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let me tell y'all what I finally done. I wear these suspenders that my bootmaker makes for me.They have harness snaps that hook in the belt loops of my levis or wranglers.One snap in back on a strong elastic band and two in the front most loops with these straps being adjustable.You can buy these in stores now,but the elastic is too weak so I have 'em made.
<br>
<br>Anyhow ,I got to looking at my suspenders and I added a second adjustable strap on the left hand side thatruns from the side loop up to the other front strap right under my left armpit.Then I ran a horizontal strap between the two.That gives me something like a second belt midway up my ribcage.I've been alternating between carrying the Tracker 41 mag and the Glock in regular belt holsters hooked on this strap.
<br>
<br>There is no comparison between my rig and a regular shoulder harness. I literally forget the glock is there,it is supported so well and the weight is distributed so evenly.The Tracker weighs enough to remind me it's there but it is plenty comfortable.I got a Don Hume holster for the Glock.I know I told E4E I was going to buy one that he recommended,but I needed one to try my idea out on and the only holster my reloading supply store had was the Hume.It's made for a 45 cal Glock but my 40 fits in it real good.
<br>
<br>Since I wear a vest year round,this works good for me.I've only shown it to a couple of pistol nuts and they alreadyu want one.I may have to go in business!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,080
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.