Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm planning on thinning my herd of guns down to three single shots and letting go of my two bolt actions I have left. I can't figure out what caliber to go with but I'm thinking something with a little more beef than what I have just in case I get to Alaska or Africa. I currently have two Ruger #1's. An S in 45-70 and a RSI in 30-06. I love both of them and they easily cover most all N A hunting. The 30-06 will do everything from vermin to moose with proper loads. The 45-70 is just plain fun and will do the same tasks just a little closer. It wears irons and is quickly becoming my favorite rifle for walking. I'm thinking of a 375 or 9.3 but I have not shot anything of large magnum configuration in a #1. I have been digging up info on both calibers and have found that the 375 is actually cheaper to feed but the 9.3 has more unique points going for it. But the 375 can be loaded down effectively and ammo is everywhere for it not to mention it's been a steady number offered in the #1 for years. How well does the 375 behave in the Tropical v the 9.3 in the medium sporter? Help!!!!!!

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I regularly shoot my .375 Tropical prone, sitting and standing at 12" gongs at 300 yards. It does real well and doesn't beat me up. Much. A good Pachmayer recoil pad added by a previous owner is likely one reason - but the rifle really doesn't smack me around much at all. I like it!

Regards, Guy

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't beat up your shoulder with a big cartridge just on the chance you might someday go to AK or Africa. Get the best 3rd one for the hunting you do now. If you can afford a trip someday, a proper rifle is a small part of the cost.

I would make the 3rd one something like a #1A 6.5x55 or 257 Roberts. Then start putting some money away for your trip.

Bruce

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bcp

I would make the 3rd one something like a #1A 6.5x55 or 257 Roberts. Then start putting some money away for your trip.

have to agree on that one...you need a light recoil, pleasant & efficient deer caliber in that mix too. either the 6.5swede or .257bob would work great.

============================================================

The 45-70 is a great cal and you have to ask yourself why you need an African style rifle. If you already have 2 rifles that will, between them, knock down the nastiest game in Nth America then why spend that money get a 375 H&H or a 9.3x74R.
Don't get me wrong. The H&H is VERY popular in Africa but it still isn't an ideal rifle nor is it the minimum for dangerous game in some countries. Moreover in the USA it won't provide anything more than you already have and it will cost more to feed.
And the 9.3x74R is less flexible than the H&H. Cases are expensive as are pills and while it can be loaded hotter in the No1 it isn't necessarily ideal to do so. To be honest I'd more recommend selling the 45-70 and buying a 416 Rigby if your heart is set on Africa.
Alternatively you can just buy a 375 H&H for the trip, be it a No1 or a bolt gun, and sell it afterward in the same way many people buy double rifles for their African trips.
Long term a predator rifle like the 22-250 may serve you better to cover all things.

Cheers & God Bless
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like you handload so either will work for you. A few hundred (~200) would last you a life time. Either will do fine,use light for Caliber bullets and start working up until you find your personnel comfort level. A lightly loaded 9.3 or 375 wiil do for all your North American game. I have a few buddies that shoot 235 gr (Barnes i believe) bullets for moose,black bear etc.out of their 375's.with no problem. I sure would like a #1 in 375 for my collection that is for sure.
Then if you get to go to Africa,load up some appropriate bullets for the game.At least you will be familiar with the rifle if you used it at home for a few years.

Last edited by 257STEW; 03/02/10.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can only answer about the 9,3/medium -
from a benchrest, dozens of shots at a sitting point,
with 250 grain bullets it's fairly pleasant to shoot to me. Hot 286's it gets a bit unpleasant.
No more than two or three shots at a time standing, it's a pussycat - again, to me.

I believe the 375 is a pound and a half or more
heavier, if I planned on shooting a lot of heavy loads I might
favor it. I want one of those too, don't have your restraint.
Only reason I don't have one of every caliber they make is I'd
have to construct a house out of the empty boxes after my wife
got through with me wink

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
For Africa or Alaska, I'd get a 450-400.

Marc
I have a No1H in 450/400 NE 3" and I can thoroughly recommend it for both of those regions.
I only hesitated from doing so in my earlier comments because Brinky is so in love with his 45-70.
More to the point the 45-70 is a more flexible cartridge even though it doesn't really have the legs for dangerous game when shooting 480gr and 500gr pills.
You want to be flinging the heaviest bullet possible at between 2000 and 2150fps for that sort of hunting and all the 45-70 data I can find rates a maximum loads for a 500gr pill at least 200fps under those velocities, even in the Ruger No1.
In that sense the 450/400 is a better proposition as it'll fling its 400gr RNSN or Solid at around 2100fps.
However for deer and moose and black bear and even grizzly I can only imagine the wider range of bullets in 45 cal (i.e. 300gr, 325gr, 350gr, 400gr, 500gr, etc) gives the American hunter more options, especially with the new Hornady LEVERevolution stuff.
Of course, if you get sneaky and ream it to 450 Alaskan it immediately becomes much more flexible and powerful, certainly Africa capable.
And Starline actually makes cases for 450 Alaskan now.
Maybe a ream out to 450 Alaskan is an option for that 45-70, Brinky?

Cheers & God Bless
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was faced with the exact same situation. I thinned the heard a while back and not counting my bolts, I ended up with two #1s. One in 30/06 and one in 7x57. Then I went looking for a third to round things out.

Those that recommend a Roberts or 6.5x55 make a lot of sense (good luck finding one though), and I agree with their comments. Having said that, I went with the .375 H&H.

The effectiveness of the old '06 and even the 7x57 cannot be denied, but when I used to have a .338 Win Mag in the safe loaded with heavy Partitions, it was a nice feeling knowing that I was pretty much set for anything I was going to hunt - anytime, anywhere. A friend talked me out of the rifle which is ok since I really didn't care for the 1B forend, but I got this empty feeling inside. Here recently I found this #1H in .375 H&H and now that empty feeling is gone. Will I ever need the power? Don't know. Will I take it after elk and deer? Sure, why not? And mine...well it will group with any .257 or .264" bullet out there.

A rig that shoots like a varmint rifle that will drop anything that walks...there's that good feeling I was talking about!

IC B3

I think that a 375H&H added to your '06 and 7mm Mauser is a perfect combination and would set you up in any continent.
The 375H&H is not perfect for elephant or hippo in the way 416 Rigby, 458 Lott or 470 NE are.
However, it's tons more flexible and loaded correctly can very effectively stop those big animals.
I hate to quote the "Bell used a 7x57 for elephant" as I think it's a dumb argument for the effectiveness of the 7mm.
What it does emphasise, though, is that since the 375H&H is MUCH more gun it's a good choice.

Cheers & God Bless
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hmmmm, now you got me thinking. Maybe I will get something a little smaller and just get a used big bore bolt gun later IF I need to. Thanks for a dose of common sense.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lipseys are doing a 1A in .35 Whelen but that may be too close to the .45-70 you have already. Maybe a smaller calibre like the .257 or .264 as already mentioed......if you can find one.

Last edited by Elvis; 03/06/10.
Originally Posted by brinky72
Hmmmm, now you got me thinking. Maybe I will get something a little smaller and just get a used big bore bolt gun later IF I need to. Thanks for a dose of common sense.
Anytime, mate. wink
As for the 35 Whelen, if all you want it for is Nth America sure thing.
If you intend to drag it to Africa save your money.
It's a poor choice for an African rifle, at least for dangerous game.
Plus it's below minimum cartridge.
I should ask, brinky, what exactly do you intend to hunt if you get to Africa.....mainly plains game or are you going to try for elephant, rhino, hippo, buffalo or lion?
That decision really affects you calibre choice.

Cheers & God Bless
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

If common sense had anything to do with it would any of us be asking about, "...one more"? I personally would have been done a 30/06 ago. Don't you just hate it when logic gets in the way...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Since I have the Medium Sporter in .45-70 and can reload anything from light to hard hitting loads, I would go with Ruger's Light Sporter in the classic .270 Win caliber.

I don't like shooting a friends new gun for fear I'll want to buy one!
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kombi1976
Anytime, mate. wink
As for the 35 Whelen, if all you want it for is Nth America sure thing.
If you intend to drag it to Africa save your money.
It's a poor choice for an African rifle, at least for dangerous game.
Plus it's below minimum cartridge.
I should ask, brinky, what exactly do you intend to hunt if you get to Africa.....mainly plains game or are you going to try for elephant, rhino, hippo, buffalo or lion?
That decision really affects you calibre choice.

I would have to say definitely buff, but a big cat would be cool to have. I guess the real question would be how much meat does one take back home if any. What is practical to bring home or ship home? That would be something I would have to consider before putting in for tags. Elephant does nothing form me, no offense. They just scare the hell out of me. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 38 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,581
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.