Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
A lot of shooters comment on the old 39s but there is very little on the new 39s as far as accuracy, comments on the cross bolt safety and durability and customer satisfaction. any comments?

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I bought a new one in 09 and have no problems with it. Shot it this weekend and everytime I take it out it makes me smile. Mine has some of the best Fit and Finish of any of my Marlins. Told a buddy last night...I just got lucky. Accuracy is great... actually its better than I am a shooter. The best $$ I have spent on a rifle is while, and did I say it just makes me smile?

Nothin Clever Here
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Marlin Bill..

What year was your rifle actually made in? What are the first two digits of the serial number? that will tell you.

I ask becuase reports on the M39s made in the last 10 years or so have been mixed. Some folks have had lots of problems, functioning and accuracy and then some have had wonderful experiences with them like you.

So, I was just wondering exactly when yours was made..

Last edited by jim62; 03/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a new 39A just over a year ago and have not had a single problem at all. No fail to fire, fail to feed or fail to eject and I've used several different brands of ammo. And the gun is very accurate. I have heard of some people having problems with new ones (minority I'm sure) but I have not had a single one. I bought a 308MX at the same time and haven't had a lick of trouble with that either.

Bob

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Bought mine NIB in 09. I have had some marlins that have been a pain, but they are all easy to fix. Many great sites, but I usually stay on Marlin Owners....amazing folks all willing to help.

Double checked and it was made in 2008, bought it in early March of 2009.

Nothin Clever Here
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
MB and all,

Thanks for the feedback on he newer guns..

Good to know that since Remington bought Marlin they are keeping the quality up as well as the prices..LOL

Come to think of it, most of the griping I heard about the m39s was just after 2000 or so.Rough actions, inaccuracy, etc etc.

I have not heard much bad about them lately.

As far as the action smoothenss goes, it's pretty unfair to compare a new out of the box fully machined rifle to an older gun with a lot of use.

All things being equal the older gun is going to feel"slicker" just from having been broken in..

Last edited by jim62; 03/18/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an example of a new barrel. I had my '63 vintage 39A rebarreled due to less than stellar accuracy due to all the rounds I had put through it over the years. It took just a little break-in with the new barrel, but it now shoots as well as it ever did.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Tom, that's good to hear!

I am glad they got your older M -39 back up to speed..

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jim62
Tom, that's good to hear!

I am glad they got your older M -39 back up to speed..

It was my first gun. As a teenager I put so many rounds through it that the barrel eventually went off. I also refinished the stock. With the new barrel and refinished stock I am sure it now has no collector value, but I like it anyway.

When I got it, my question to myself was: 39A or 39M? I got the 39A but never gave up on getting a 39M. I found a very nice one ('69 vintage) a few years ago and grabbed it. It shot much better than the older one, which pushed my to getting the 39A rebarreled. Since I have been shooting CAS with a straight gripped Marlin, I now find I actually prefer the 39M to the 39A.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (1_deuce, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.