Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have never shot a cast bullet so I do not know.

I might wonder if they are holding the velocity to <1000 fps to avoid leading the barrel with nonjacketed bullets.

Do they recommend higher velocities with the same bullet and other powders?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Are there better grips made for the Tracker ?

I use the Uncle Mike's grips on my Tauruses. Mine didn't come with the Ribber, but Taurus told me the grips are interchangeable. I like the Uncle Mike's better than Pachmayr and Hogue. They are less abrasive than the Pachmayr and shaped better (for me) than the Hogue.

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
curdog: I carry the Federal 250 grain Castcore loads in my Ti Taurus. The factory ribber grips pounded my index finger. For my hand, I needed more filler behind the trigger guard like the old grip adapter. I replaced the ribber grips with the Hogue grip with finger grooves and the closed backstrap. I never understood the open backstrap grips because that is what pounds you the most in a double action because the recoil force is more straight back instead of rolling like a single action.
If you download a 41 mag you might as well carry a 40 Short&Weak semi-auto and eliminate the cylinder bulge and the extra practice required to be proficient with a double action. Do not let anyone tell you the 40 S&W is the equivilent of the 41 magnum. Just compare the case capacities - 10.6 vs. 20.8
You can use 303 British stripper clips as a poorman's strip loader or buy plastic speed strips from Tuff strip in New York. speedloaders.com sells a 5 shot speed loader for 41 mag.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Hogues made a huge difference for me. I do not like the Ribbers.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I sent an E MAIL to Hogue yesterday to either order or get the name of a stocking dealer . Then this am I got to fooling with the Tracker and reasoned that I didn't need recoil protection on the front of the grip and the ribs were pushing my finger up tight against the trigger guard .

I took a boxcutter knife [ yes , Ahab , they have uses other than plane hi-jacking ] and cut the ribs off enough to make room for my finger . I took it to the pasture with me and it made a world of difference . The 210 gr loads are still not fun , but the 170 gr loads are OK . I even got the chance to crank off a cylinder full in DA mode at a running armadillo . My hand and the armadillo both came out of the affair in good shape !

One problem I discovered was that I had mixed some of the different bullet weight loads and havn't been shooting anything but the 210's !

I'm still gonna get different grips and some of the Universal Clays powder and work up a load with the Speers for carrying .The 170's - even loaded with 10 grains Unique are about like shooting 357 mag 's in my 686 which is to say that a little less sting would be more fun .

Thanks again to all .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by curdog4570
It hurts ! I had a dealer order a Tracker in 41 Mag as soon as I saw them advertised . I had a 41 BH and liked the cartridge . I liked the Tracker OK but it was too heavy for carry and hard to shoot accurately with the short sight radius .

I reasoned that one in titantium would make a good CC piece so I bought one and gave the SS one to a friend . The recoil with 240 gr. handloads is murder , even with a two hand hold .

I got some 170 gr Sierras and they are not as bad , but snap shooting at javalinas with one hand makes for a one shot affair with my hand being too numb for a follow up .

I shoot my 44 mag Bisley gripped BH with no issues , even with stout handloads .

Are there better grips made for the Tracker ? The ribbed ones that came on it look and feel great ------------ until the trigger is pulled !

I have the S&W light M-357PD in 41 mag. I have no experience with the Tarus, but I fine the S&W very shootable and controlable. If fact I can shoot it just as fast as I can my 1911 45 ACP accurately. That is when I a m useing full pwoer 210 grain in the 41 mag

Last edited by jwp475; 03/15/10.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.