Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dip and trickle is my method for dispensing powder. I don't see any virtue to using a powder measure as I will trickle into the scale pan anyway. You can adjust the volume of a dipper (shims or other method) to get close to the desired charge and then finish it off with the trickler.

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The only differences among ANY of the methods discussed are convenience, preference and speed. Given practice and good technique, all are precise enough for all but near-maximum charges.

Measures or dippers used without weighing (after an initial check) are fastest.

Digital dispenser/scales may be fastest at trickling every charge to a precise weight. Mechanical dispenser and scale would be close or a bit faster, but are more "hands-on" intensive.

And I'm sure that somewhere out there is a guy using certified laboratory scales who trims the last powder kernel to weight under a microscope. He loads one round per hour.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bcraig
Hi, just bought some reloading supplies to load a 8mm Mauser(js) and bought some of the new Lee dippers . Wondering whether these are going to work well. I do have a scale and can weigh each charge if need be but curious as to peoples experience with the dippers and if they will be good enough to use for developing and loading rounds for hunting . I will be using H4895. Thanks,Craig

so I am another one of the idiots that uses the lee scoop to put in the pan of the scale and then weights each charge.... crazy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a general rule I dip 'n' trickle if I'm reloading 50 cartridges or less at a sitting. If I'm doing a larger volume, I set up my powder measure and then weigh about every 5th charge. If my load is near what I consider maximum I will weigh each charge out of the powder measure. I know, I know... I'm not a very speedy reloader.

ttpoz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My technique is get a close dipper and then go after a second scoop of powder and trickle a bit in out of the dipper to get where i want. I use the little Lee drum type measure for my 223 though. Just don't feel comfy unless I weigh all my hunting loads. Used a Dillon 550 for a while and was very disappointed with the powder measure. Sold the Dillon and now weigh every charge.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I use them have for years, but I use them to get my charge close and then I always trickle the rest. I've seen too much variation to them to ever just use the dipper without checking the weight via a scale!

Dober

Yep, that's the way I've been doing it for a looong time.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too am a dip and trickle guy. Will get a powder thrower when I get a good bench set up.

WAR EAGLE!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use them and the work just fine.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IMO, if I was just starting out, I buy a good quality balance beam scale and maybe a case tumbler long before I'd start looking at powder measures. I used a bowl of powder and a teaspoon for quite a while before I bought my powder measure.

Aim for the exit hole.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another dip and trickle guy here.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Another one using dip & trickle, mainly because I am a low volume reloader. Now, if I ever get into anything remotely resembling high volume reloading, I will get a powder measure for rifle reloading and maybe something like a Dillon for pistol reloading.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can testify that after reloading for 25+ years that you can absolutely load very accurate ammo. using Lee dippers. If you want to dip & trickle to get to a max. charge that's ok but developing a method for dipping which is consistent is very easy and it is just as accurate as throwing charges from a powder measure. Any of the Lee Loaders you buy will have a dipper and all you need is a mallet and cheap little funnel and you can make some very accurate hunting ammo. on your kitchen table. The dippers always dip a little less that advertised for safety reasons. I also know that my most accurate ammo. is usually at less than a maximum charge. I still use my set of dippers for screw around target loads with my pistols and they work fine and are very fast. They don't require any adjustment and very little brain power. That works for my little brain! I know all this to be the truth becasue that's the way I started many years ago when I was young, broke and stupid! Just my 4 cents. BT

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi ,I am curious about variance in powder charges/ I tried the Lee dippers and using a dipper from the pack of measures I found that using H4895 and dipping out of a short drinking glass filled half full of powder that I was throwing charges within 3 tenths of a grain (using a lee perfect powder scale as a reference) every time and after about 50 practice scoops(actually using a back drag on the scoop and allowing the dipper to fill and then scraping a credit card across the top )I found that I could stay within 2 tenths. I am thinking that this will be good enough for hunting loads out of the Mauser 8mm with 150gr Sierras and 46.7 grains(which is the closest dipper for the charge I want(bout 47 grains).This is not even close to a max load(almost 51 grains and same bullet) so I am not worried about the variance causing an overload but what I am curious about is will 2 or 3 tenths of a grain variance in powder charge materially affect group size as compared to weighing and getting EXACTLY the same powder charge ?? Thanks,Craig

Last edited by bcraig; 03/18/10.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd say that 2 tenths is good for whatever kind of shooting you're doing.
Whether you're using a measure, a dipper, or a tablespoon, consistancy of effort is what counts. smile

Aim for the exit hole.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
bcr..,

I have had a set for 20 plus years and only three or four are even broken off the mold tree. the charges they throw have never been close to what I need. recently a friend tried to use his and they were off by a mile. I sugest you get a good balance beam scale to verify the charges. DO NOT go by the suggested charges that come with the dippers or you could wind up in deep kimshee.

O

Too old to suffer fools
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I did use the Lee Perfect powder scale(which is a balance beam scale)to not only initially check the dipper for verification of the powder charge but also to check for variances in dipped weights.The dipper was spot on for the powder(H4895) I was using.And the dipper(the dipper marked 3.4 cc gives almost the exact charge I was looking for which was 47 grains/the dipper gives me 46.7 grains . Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
bcr..,

Congrats on your luck. I never had any luck with the Lyman 55 either. I do have an RCBS Uni Flo powder measure that throws consistnt charges every time (verified by a scale first). It's very fast and I wouldn't trade it for a farm in Georgia.
O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought the Lee dippers and an electronic scale. I tested the weight of the charge against what the slide chart said each cup should hold and those cups were very close to being exactly what the chart said. They are good enough to load up some rounds without having to weigh each charge I'd think unless you are close to max charge. Most of them hold just a fraction of a grain less than what is listed on the slide chart.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,034
Posts18,481,933
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.