Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wrote this to my Warden this morning. Good people I word for and with

On 3-10-10 at around 0100 hrs Lt. A**** somehow became aware that I was in an increasingly agitated and disoriented state. I imagine my radio traffic was a little course. He contacted me in A-Building and inquired as to what the problem was. I told him I was having problems relating to my diabetes, and I needed to eat.

Within minutes Officer B***** was dispatched to A Building and relieved me. She found me slightly agitated and mildly disoriented. I told her I thought my blood sugar was crashing. I had a small amount of money on me, but not enough to buy what I needed to buy enough food to deal with the situation. She gave me some money and I went and bought some food. I did not need nursing attention because, as a long time diabetic, I knew exactly what was going on and what I needed to fix it. This kind of event is exceedingly rare for me.

Officer B***** stayed with me while I ate, and until I felt better. She spoke to me during this time and I believe would not have left unless she knew I had returned to normal. Of course, as my blood sugar rose and stabilized, my mood changed to my normal state.

I would like to thank Lt. A**** for his attention and prompt action. I would like to thank Officer B***** for her concern and assistance. I would hope for a small word recognizing them for taking care of their own.

Sincerely
C/O (Crosshair)

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
diabetes can be a difficult road to be on.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad you are OK and kudo's for your co-workers understanding & help.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fluffy
diabetes can be a difficult road to be on.

I'm a type two boardering a type one, usually I have no problems really, I watch it pretty good. But sometimes it can get out of hand. I had planed to get a Subway on my way to work, but it was closed for some reason. I didn't have time to go anywhere else. I took a chance and lost.

By the way, Officer B is a diabetic herself

Last edited by crosshair; 03/10/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Lost a good buddy during 'yesterday year', when we were young.

Doing a Wood Duck census in the Spring. He just peeled over the side of the boat before anyone could grab him. His mood would come on very quick. He had to regulate his food intake and diet, by anticipating what the day would bring activity wise. And that was very difficult for him to do.

Amazed me the people who could not grasp the situation of the mood thing. Always made me wish I had a magic word to make those kind diabetic for a day or two.

Thank goodness 'treatment' and knowledge is more advanced than back in yesterday year!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's good that your co-workers are aware of your diabetes. I have a friend that is diabetic, and for whatever he reason choose not to inform anyone in our office.

We found him in his office one day sitting in front of his computer staring straight ahead and as stiff as a board. When we spoke to him he would look in our direction, but was otherwise unresponsive. We dialed 911, and while we were waiting on the ambulance our boss found his insulin and needles in his briefcase. It turns out that he had switched to another type of insulin and had not worked out the new dosage correctly.

I don't know if he was embarrassed or just figured it was no one else's business. But letting the people around know about medical conditions like diabetes can mean the difference between life and death.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T LEE
What he said, in spades..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am always amused when some tells me I just need to eat less sugar.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Less over all, sure. The thing about sugar is that it's like climbing a hill, with a cliff on the other side. You get up high, but you fall and crash really fast. I've been offered candy at those times, and that's ok to some extent, but I better get some complex carbs and some protien and fat in or I will head for the bottom but quick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, Penny and I have our favorites among the COs too.

Years ago (before cell phones) I left a prison after a program, then came back into the A building looking for a phone to call somebody because I'd locked my keys in my car.

The CO said don't bother, and got on the horn with somebody further inside the prison. Fifteen minutes later out came another CO with a white-jumpsuited prisoner in tow sporting handcuffs and ankle shackles. He shuffled him out to my car, where he proceeded to pop the door open in less than a minute.

I thanked him profusely and said I wished there was something I could do for him. The CO scowled at me, said, "There's nothing you can do for him!" and shuffled him back to the A building.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I always carry a piece of hard candy in case of an emergency. I never know when My sugar is going to drop. but I can feel it coming in time to eat the candy which holds me long enough to find food.. it's a bitch .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crosshair

Less over all, sure. The thing about sugar is that it's like climbing a hill, with a cliff on the other side. You get up high, but you fall and crash really fast. I've been offered candy at those times, and that's ok to some extent, but I better get some complex carbs and some protien and fat in or I will head for the bottom but quick.

My point being,they think having high blood sugar means you eat to much sugar.I used to try to explain the insulin part ,but usually dont anymore.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rick, back in the day, being diabetic was not really something you wanted everyone to know. And heaven forbid if you were to take your shot in public, it was just something you did NOT do. As of last month, I have been Type 1 for 46 years, diagnosed when I was 3. That was back in the days of glass syringes.

Anymore, I really dont mind who knows. I carry an ice chest in the back of my pickup with me all the time. In it is my Diet Mt Dew and there is always a 1/2 gallon of milk. For me the milk acts faster than eating a candy bar.

I will agree on the trying to adjust insulin intake vs. what you are going to be doing that day. It is a Full Time JOB, but the rewards are a long normal life if you take care of yourself.

A1C's of 5.3 - 5.7 for the past 11 years, checked every 3 months.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Crosshair
Many thanks to your co workers. A good group of people. Say thanks to them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My son, 44 yo, type 1 for 40 years is on an infusion pump & is well regulated. Blood tests himself regularly. & adjusts insulin accordingly. His Dr. says he wishes all his patients were as healthy as he is. Never has had a cavity, works long hours & is in good shape.

Dave
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was on a pump back in the 80's. I got it while I was working as a parts person in a John Deere dealership. Things were great. I then went to work for a farmer and job was running center pivot sprinklers. I would be out working on them and get to sweating a little bit and the dang needle would come unstuck and fall out. I finally gave it up and went back to shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE

Same here!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.