Print Thread
Hop To
M
mpwolf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My buddy and I both married lefties. I'm trying to figure out what our options are for replacement stocks for 700 based rifles that shift on the port side. Obviously McMilan can do it, but are there other cheaper options? A TI takeoff sort of deal would be great. Maybe even a CDL takeoff?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B&C make some lefties.

Stockade also makes lefties.

Brown Precision.

Lone Wolf.

I think all these make them for 700's

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take off BDL stocks are offered on gunbroker a lot, lately you will sometimes see a take off CDL. Prices range from about $50 up to $150 depending on the condition and the seller.

Bell and Carlson makes their Carbelite stock in LH for long and short actions. Never used one so couldn't say how they are.

Brown Precision and Bansner both make very lightweight stocks for LH Model 700's, both long and short actions. Brown will sell you a pre-finished stock ready for bedding, forget if Bansner will. Both require glass bedding. Wait time is a few weeks for either.

Have had Browns and Bansners, both have very open grips but are good stocks.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Along with McMillen, Boyd's make some lefties
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mpwolf
My buddy and I both married lefties. I'm trying to figure out what our options are for replacement stocks for 700 based rifles that shift on the port side. Obviously McMilan can do it, but are there other cheaper options? A TI takeoff sort of deal would be great. Maybe even a CDL takeoff?

I will have a CDL LH s/a takeoff in 4-5 months if you can hold out....!!

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
You guys are making me envious. I priced a McMilan stock here for my Rem 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag to be told cost would be $1000 $Aus (about $900US). Didn't order it. Then I tried to order a stock direct from the US but as it is a firearm part there are all sorts of horrible export/import dramas. Guess I'll just keep using it the way it is.
That green stock that jbmi has works for me.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by wantok
You guys are making me envious. I priced a McMilan stock here for my Rem 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag to be told cost would be $1000 $Aus (about $900US). Didn't order it. Then I tried to order a stock direct from the US but as it is a firearm part there are all sorts of horrible export/import dramas. Guess I'll just keep using it the way it is.
That green stock that jbmi has works for me.

Don't fret mate. Just order a McMillan from the Campfire Outfitter's Gear Shop link above and choose the "Ship to Australia" option. McMillan will happily ship to Australia and there are no permits required. I just received my third one (thanks Rick!). Mine are Remington Hunter's Edge style, but on a 7mm RM I would go for the standard fibreglass option - probably in a Classic or Compact.

And now to get back to the OP's question - I would save up for the McMillan. The quality is worth the expense.

I have a brand new CDL timber take off here (along with a used BDL, a custom M7 style timber and a SPS-Varmint) which I am looking to sell, but shipping it to the US probably wouldn't make it worthwhile.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Jason
What action length is your CDL stock?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
All 4 are short action LH R700's. PM me if you are interested.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Out of my area here, but here goes. I am left-eyed, right handed. Recently bought a Stevens .270. Purchased a right bolt, left handed thumbhole from Stocky's stock. It is not a perfect fit yet, but is not a bad stock for the money.
Not my full time hunting rifle, but will be handed down to my right handed, left-eyed daughter some day for our stand hunting for whitetails.
Before anyone criticizes me for shooting a righty bolt, let me say we are right-handed. And we both have lefty bolts also.
Right bolt seems natural to me after 45 years anyway.

stumpy

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I got tired of the nice RH Synthetics and have converted them to LH. Find one without a cheekpiece or practice on a RH Tupperware. Not hard just takes time and Marine Tex!

Bought 3 RH Rimrock blanks all have RH cheekpiece converted them to LH. Called Borden and asked about removing cheekpiece
he said dont, so I left them on. The $69 Rem RH Ti take offs would have been good canidates for a nice LH stock.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 49 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.