Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
our local Kroger (and Ingles on occasion), and maybe others sometimes offers lamb cuts.

sometimes they are roasts, maybe sliced pieces. also some lamb shanks (lower legs, i guess?).

we never ate lamb growing up, and have only had it a few times. it looks pricey, from my view, but what do i know?

how are some ways to fix it? and how does one decide on whether to go with beef or lamb? is it an acquired taste. lot's of cooking shows address recipes from time to time. i'd like to know more, but don't want to spend money on something that is not so good? looking for general cooking ideas, if anyone would care to share.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We had lamb stew last night, as it happens.

I love lamb. The only thing better is kid goat, IMO. You can do either one over a slow fire (mesquite is best) with slivers of garlic pushed into the meat. Fabulous.

Mutton is a lot stronger, which is perhaps why you can't buy mutton anywhere.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All day.

I eat leftovers for breakfast if there are any....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm the odd man out I guess. Have ordered it a few times at various Greek restaurants and can't stand it. Reminded me of a poorly prepared deer.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
We had lamb stew last night, as it happens.

I love lamb. The only thing better is kid goat, IMO. You can do either one over a slow fire (mesquite is best) with slivers of garlic pushed into the meat. Fabulous.

Mutton is a lot stronger, which is perhaps why you can't buy mutton anywhere.

so, everything we procure at the Publix, etc, is probably young sheep, if it is labeled as lamb? i'm thinking it is.

Originally Posted by RWE
All day.

I eat leftovers for breakfast if there are any....

sounds good. i've eaten a bit of West Texas Young Goat, but it's bit strong, in my perspective. the Lamb my wife and i have dealt with has been good, but in our local stores, a bit pricy compared to beef. i don't know. i'd like to learn more about it. we've eaten Venison nearly forever, fresh-harvested, and the sphagetti is wonderful as well as healthy.

if one has a taste for Lamb, in our local stores, it appears it'll sell for a premium over poultry, pork, and even beef. Not to say it isn't good, but the "right" way to cook it might be the most important part? thanks for all the comments. maybe i can learn something from this thread?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
CHEESY - "I'm the odd man out I guess. Have ordered it a few times at various Greek restaurants and can't stand it. Reminded me of a poorly prepared deer."

I used to know an old rancher in the foothills of the Sierra in California who told me once, "The only reason to ever eat sheep meat is to eat 'em all up off the face of the earth so there's more room for cattle!"

He didn't much care for sheep. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My lamb comes fresh from my buddy's farm just up the road....by the cut/wrapped/frozen box full.

Just stowed a box of it last week in the freezer.

Chops, burger, roasts....it's ALL good eatin'.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

He didn't much care for sheep. smile

L.W.

Eating "sheep" isn't quite the same as eating Lamb......

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I'm the odd man out I guess. Have ordered it a few times at various Greek restaurants and can't stand it. Reminded me of a poorly prepared deer.

You weren't getting Lamb, you were getting Hogget or Mutton, possibly sold as "lamb".

First year "Sheep" are Lamb, older is Hogget, then OLD ASS is Mutton.

We only eat Lamb.......

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Besides, Cheesy likes well done steaks so his taste is suspect anyway. laugh

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have a Basque friend who throws an "invitation only" lamb roast every Spring. He jokes that "if it has suckled twice, it's too old to be lamb!"

But I'll tell you what - if you died the moment you finished your plate, you'd go happy. God, that man can cook lamb ...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
look up a recipe for ossa bucco and do it with lamb shanks....I don't think you will mistake it for tough venison.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ME ME ME!!!!!!

We had it all the time as kids. DELICIOUS!!!

Mama'd get a rack of lamb ribs and grill em with some salt, pepper and some crushed mint. Serve medium rare with mint jelly. Oh I'm drooling. Its been about 15 yrs since I've had any...

Last edited by SnowHunter; 03/11/10.

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We eat it fairly regularly. It's actually fairly popular as one of our catering menu items. When it's prepared correctly it's divine. Otherwise, not so much.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Braised lamb shank is to die for.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ate alot of Aussie Mutton over in Vietnam, our cooks would make goulash and stews out of it, I got to looking forward to it. Still enjoy lamb alot.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crying Leg of Lamb
5-6 lb leg of lamb
6 cloves garlic
rosemary and thyme, minced
olive oil
salt and pepper
3 lb potatoes peeled & thinly sliced
butter

Rub meat with oil. Make small, deep slashes in lamb and poke 2 cloves of garlic cut into slivers in the pockets. Dust with herbs and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place potatoes in layers in a buttered baking pan larger than the length of the lamb with salt, pepper, minced garlic and a bit of butter. Set dish on bottom rack in the oven. Place lamb above the potatoes directly on the oven rack so drippings will fall on the potatoes. This is how the recipe received its name. Roast in a 425 oven for 90 min. Stir up potatoes once or twice during cooking. Slice meat and arrange on top of potatoes. Nice red wine and a green veggie and you're good to go. Ask me how I know...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
We have a Basque friend who throws an "invitation only" lamb roast every Spring. He jokes that "if it has suckled twice, it's too old to be lamb!"

But I'll tell you what - if you died the moment you finished your plate, you'd go happy. God, that man can cook lamb ...

California had quite a few basque sheepherders tending flock. Never fully appreciated lamb until I moved to Texas. Barbadoe sheep are low maintenance and good eating. I started using the meat in my green curry recently in place of pork.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rkamp; 03/12/10.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me. Leg of Lamb, roasted in tomato base, with onions, potatoes, and carrots. It was always family favorite at Easter dinner.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (2ndwind, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 160user, 22250rem, 264mag, 57 invisible), 5,855 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,822
Posts18,536,900
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.