Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Hi all:

I have a Springfield sporter 30-06 that looks an awful lot like a Sedgley Springfield, but doesn't have the little "S" in a circle that I've been told all Sedgleys have. So I'm selling it for half of what I've seen real Sedgleys go for: $650.

It's apparent that the work has been done by someone who really knows what they're doing...at least that is what my gunsmith says. The wood is done in the typical Sedgley pattern and has really beautiful grain but is well spotted with small nicks and dents. The metal work is of similar high quality but has several wear spots in the bluing and a number of small nicks/scratches.

The scope is a Lyman All-Weather 2 1/2 with fine crosshairs and dots. Optics are clear and sharp but there are spots of worn bluing on the metal and several small scratches. Mount is a Pachmayr swing-over mount. Rear sight is a Marbles adjustable.

Pics:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

With a reblue and a little attention to the stock, it would be an outstanding sporter.

Note that I'm open to trades, particularly in the 25-06 and 20-ga categories.

Czech1022

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A classic lookin 30-06,this needs to be hunted with...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!

Why can I never find a deal like that up here?!
I have lusted after a Springfield/Sedgely sporter for OVER 30 years. The last one I had a chance at, turned out to be stocked beautifully----for a southpaw frown

Nice chunk of wood on that, czech! You are right, cleaned up, she sure would be pretty. Hope whoever picks her up takes good care of her.

Later....

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the kind words.

Look at it this way: the Lyman All-Weather Alaskan is selling used for $300-500, depending on condition. Even if you figure this one is at the bottom end (and I don't know if I'd go that far), you could sell it and the mount for enough to buy a new Pac-Nor barrel in your choice of '06 compatible calibers.

A little work steaming out the dents on that beautifully figured and checkered stock, add a bottle of tung oil and a modern $30 recoil pad and you've got a dream custom rifle for under $700.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is it a "high number" Springfield, i.e., serial number over 800,000? Thanks.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That sure as hell LOOKS like my old Sedgley. As far as I know -- there may be exceptions -- all the Sedgleys were made with low numbered Springfild actions. They were re-heat treated and then proofed with a greased armour piercing round (Brophy.) Wouldn't surprise me at all to have one out of the shop without the "S" in the circle you mentioned. There were a lot of variations. That stock really does look like the one I had, complete with the schnabel forend. Somebody with a brain will make you an offer -- Sedgley or not. A cool classic rifle.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
model70man:

I haven't removed the stock, but there are no serial numbers that are visible.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
SN should be on front , top receiver Russ

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Nope, sorry, the top of the receiver ring is smooth.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
TTT

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Weekend price drop: $575 plus shipping.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
TTT

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
PM sent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM sent for a FTF deal in Reno.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Still available, but will meet with possible buyer on Saturday. If he were more positive about the purchase, I would hold it for him, but he specifically says to go ahead and sell it if I get an offer before then.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The more I look at that picture the more I think it really is a Sedgley. It just looks right.......

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
S
S
If it's not too late, I'll take it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good for you. Nice rifle. Hope you get it.Willing to bet a beer that this came out of the Sedgley shop. Even if it is only patterned after a Sedgly it's a good deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Story...
I think you got one heck of a deal there! Had I been 'merican, or the sale been in Kanuckistan, she'd have been sold in less than 2hrs!!

I'm with meddy on this. I'm no Sedgely expert, but.......

Congrats!

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
SOLD pending funds.

Thanks, Story!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,348
Posts18,526,992
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.