Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mjc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Probably typical libertard blather, but, still, interesting.

Can a Company Run for Congress?

If corporation have the same rights as humans, which was given by the Supreme Court when they ruled that both can fund political campaigns, how about a company's run for Congress? Bob Schieffer with a unique story.
Stories
High Court Eases Campaign Spending Limits
Obama Hammers Supreme Court in Speech
(CBS) When the Supreme Court decided that free speech meant corporations have the same rights as humans to fund political campaigns, the folks at a little Maryland Company called Murray Hill Incorporated saw an opening.

If corporations have the same rights as humans, they reasoned, why fool around with the middle men in politics - the politicians? Instead of trying to buy off them off, why not just run the company itself for a seat in congress? They've even got a slick new campaign ad:

"As much as corporate interests gave to politicians, we could never be absolutely shire they would do our bidding. But today, thanks to an enlightened Supreme Court, corporations have all the rights the founding fathers meant for us. It's our democracy. We bought it. We paid for it. And we're going to keep it. That's why Murray Hill, Inc., is taking democracy's next step: running for Congress."

Alas, though it may never happen, the Washington Post reports the company has already run afoul of the Constitution which says you must be 25 to serve in Congress, and the little company just isn't old enough.

That's too bad. I was looking forward to a spirited debate on when corporate life begins: when it is just a gleam in the eye of the start-up guy? Or is it when ...

Well, that's probably another one for the Supreme Court to decide.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/14/ftn/main6297744.shtml?tag=exclsv

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Corporations can be citizens of the state under whose laws they have incorporated, they cannot be "persons." The Constitution, Article I, section 2, clause 2 states that to be qualified for election as a representative a "person" must attain the age of 25. The Constitution does not use the terms "person" and "citizen" interchangeably and they had distinct legal meanings at the Founding.

You're correct, that article was liberal blather.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just wait for the upcoming elections. If you didn't think you were voting for a corporation in the past, future elections, and their contributors will leave no doubt as to what Corporation you are voting for.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Corporations can be citizens of the state under whose laws they have incorporated, they cannot be "persons." The Constitution, Article I, section 2, clause 2 states that to be qualified for election as a representative a "person" must attain the age of 25. The Constitution does not use the terms "person" and "citizen" interchangeably and they had distinct legal meanings at the Founding.

You're correct, that article was liberal blather.

Pegged, squarely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think people are going to be suprised how little it changes. Already corporations can give to PAC's. Would you rather give to a PAC that you know the money is going to candidate XX and just about no one will know unless they go digging...or would you rather give to an individual campaign where your company names has to go on the bottom of the ad?

I know if I was CEO I would rather push money out the back door to get stuff done and not have it plastered everywhere (even tho you can look it up) rather than have it on the bottom of every ad so every person can call up and complain that I'm donating to XX candidate.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BS from the get go. If you don't want to take corp money then don't, people in business have ever right to free speech as anyone else. And its political speech, in the form of support or against is what the court decided. After all Unions get to throw there weigh around when ever they see fit. Why can't a business do the same? Seems to me that they like free speech in only if you your card punched right. In other words just do what we say and give us what ever we demand of you and shut up. A long time ago an Empire tried that with some colonies they had, they didn't get the penny tax, the gotten a war instead. And it was never about the penny tax. Same issue here, the Court just leveled the field a little again.

Last edited by gmsemel; 03/14/10.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1941USMC, 22250rem, 62 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,801
Posts18,536,599
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.