Hop To
#3890561 03/13/10
S
Shikar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm off after a buff in a few months with a bit of plains game chucked in too.

My question is if anyone can think of any cons to just using this cartridge on everything. I know I should get a .375, but just fancy sometghing a but bigger and thumpier for the buffalo...

Looks reasonably flat in the modern loadings?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Go! you'll be fine.

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.404 Jeffery will be just fine..... you really don't need a 375 as well.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
The Chadwick Ram was taken with a .404 Jeffrey. If it is a good sheep rifle, it is a good plains game rifle.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Shikar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks chaps, rather as I thought!

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You might want to work on two different loads that shoot to the same point of impact, as you don't want to use a heavy, maybe solid, bullet made for Buffalo on an Impala, or something really small.

Something else to remember, if you're going to Africa, or a lot of the European countries, those folks don't know what a wash cloth is, or use them, and you will also want to take your own soap. If going for 2 weeks, I'd take two bars of what YOU like. Most of the folks setting these hunts up say bring toiletries, but let it to you to decide what that is. I took shaving gear and toothpaste and a toothbrush,and shampoo, but not soap or a wash rag. There was soap "provided" but like you might get at a motel..also, and it doesn't take up much room or weight in your suit case, take a couple rolls of your toilet paper. While it wasn't really bad, no splinters or anything, toilet paper in some of these places can leave something to be desired too.. Also of course, take your own shampoo.. and stuff for sore muscles, etc. as you might not find it in stores over there.

If I were going back, I'd take somethink like a 308 or such along, as the 404 a bit big for the small stuff (an Impala small as a small white tail, etc). You can have too much gun, as the bullets won't open on the small stuff, and though it'll kill them, eventually, for deer sized animals, and even Kudu, a 308, etc., a far better choice. But, again, if you reload ad use an expanding bullet, will probably do okay.

BTW: The Chadwick ram was shot with a 404 Huffman magnum, not the Jeffrey.

Last edited by ghost; 03/13/10.

Ghost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot two blesbok with my .404 on a little culling episode for my PH, after everything was done and we were basically dinking around. I used 400 gr Woodleighs; both shots were around 125 yards and each one dropped instantly.

Seemed to work well...

[Linked Image]

I think it would be pretty easy to hunt everything with one rifle, but I'd have to knock about two pounds or so off my CZ 550 to carry it all the time.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have used the 404 Jefferys for years. It is a grand 40 caliber and all anyone would need on Safari..I have used it on all the plainsgame and DG except Leopard and Lion as best I recall. It is for the handloader and Nostalgia buff which I am guilty of on both counts, thus my extended use of the 404 over the years...

As to praticality, I prefer the .416 Rem as its easier to come by ammo and components in the worlds most isolated places, its cheaper to purchase a rifel and to reload..It is the balistic clone of the 404 from a practical stand point of the accepted 400 gr. 40 caliber bullet at 2400 FPS, and I believe those specs to be more than valid...

The 404 can however be handloaded about 250 FPS faster than a .416 Rem if that means anything..About all that showed me was a massive amount of recoil production and no improvement in killing effect on the big stuff..

I also would require certain things on a 404 such as a Mod. 20 mag. action of one of its clones as I personally belive it a better round in a big box as to feed and function. I would want a drop box in a 404, but not in a .416 Rem or Ruger. I would have to have all the bells and whistles on a 404 including a real nice chunk of Russian Circasian walnut..It would be worth a bundle...I can build a .416 full blown custom for at least $3500 less money..

I customized one CZ in a 404, but the action was just too bulky to satisfy me. Lot of folks liked it and I sold it..

Last edited by atkinson; 03/13/10.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Need to apologize. Just re-read the story of the Chadwick ram, and it says he was using a 404 Magnum, made by Frank Huffman of Cleveland. So, might have been a 404 Jeffrey..

Ghost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the 404 Huffman Magnum?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
See my note above. Huffman was the gunsmith, story just said 404. Might have been a 404 Jeffrey, just built by Huffman. Hunt was in 1936. Didn't specify in the story just what 404 it was. I just read the account of that hunt in the B&C book and all it says is it was a 404 caliber rifle of the Magnum Mauser type, so quite probably a 404 Jeffrey. Was using the 350gr bullet. Sheep actually finished with an 06, by the guide.

Ghost
J
JJS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ghost
Need to apologize. Just re-read the story of the Chadwick ram, and it says he was using a 404 Magnum, made by Frank Huffman of Cleveland. So, might have been a 404 Jeffrey..

I think the Chadwick ram was taken with a 404 Jeffery and the rifle was made by Hoffman Arms. Hoffman Arms built rifles in the 1920-1930s and were consider by some to be best quality rifles. I have a Hoffman 375 H&H made on a Mag. Mauser action that is just a beautiful rifle....Hoffman rifles and shotguns are considered collectors items today...

I been wanting a 404 Jeffery for years and finally have one it the works. It is being built by Ralph Martini on a Standard Mag. Granite Mountain Arms action, etc...I should have it by August and then off to Tanzania to test it out....I am deciding if I should take a Browning Safari 458 win. mag. or 375 H&H as a back up rifle.

Last edited by JJS; 03/14/10.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd thought Hoffman also, but story I was reading from said Frank Huffman of Cleveland. The B&C story, about 1 paragraph long just said it was a 404 magnum, on a Magnum Mauser action.

I just called a custom gun maker I know and he said Hoffman was in Cleveland, so the name in the book I read it in, might have been a typo. If Hoffman, was almost certainly the 404 Jeffrey.

Last edited by ghost; 03/14/10.

Ghost
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
JJS is correct....It was a 404 Jefferys caliber and a wonderful Cleveland Hoffman Arms Rifle. Hoffman also built guns in Lubbock Texas at one point..

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Amarillo; at least according to this: http://hoffmanarms.com/HoffmanHistory.html

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
JJS,

I usually take two rifles to Africa, so I would do the .404 Jeff & .375 combination. Heck one time I took two .375 H&H rifles. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Shikar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks very much chaps. Have to say most of the old hands over here are fairly supportive of the 'one rifle' notion, so I think it'll have just to be a mix of solids and softs, factory. By the way I came accross an ad over there for .404 loaded by Federal, anyone any experience wuith this one? Didnt realise they loaded it...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is the beauty of the mediums, say .366 to .425, they are big enough for the Big Boys, and shoot flat enough for the rest of the shooting.

I have always planned on taking two 416's to Africa.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Shikar,

I think it was 2006 they introduced that, but I don't see it listed on their website now. I talked to Kynamco about .404 Jeff ammo several years ago and they reported a steady demand of 5,000 rounds a year for their ammo.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 404 is still loaded by Hornady, but IMO its a rather meek load duplicating the touted original load of about 2150 FPS, that btw was never all that popular in African society and on demand RWS or Kynoch as I recall uploaded it to 2300 FPS. and it became more popular... What made it popular was it was not a propriatary cartridge and some of the Game Depts such as Tanzania and others adopted it, and it became available in less expensive rifles and that made it popular..Tanzania still uses it to some degree. Many of the Game Scouts still have an old FN in a 404 and some even have a couple of loaded rounds for their gun....BTW, if you hunt with a 404 don't give the "poor ole game scout" some ammo for his gun! He will poach elephants with it if you do..The road to hell is paved with good intentions in other words...

Today in a good strong Mauser or M-70 for instance you can load 95 grs. of IMR-4831 and get 2653 FPS in a 27 inch barrel..I have used that load in Africa, but in all honesty 90 to 93 grs. at 2400 plus, depending on barrel length, and easy to get in a 24 inch barrel works as well and is much nicer on the recoil issue..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,828
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.