Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Fang Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Ditto on the Staggerwing and the P-51. With all the hunters and fishermen on this forum, I'm surprised no one's admitted to lusting for a Maule M-7; and for you round engine types, how about the "new" Waco Y-7s now being beautifully built in Lansing MI? Not criticizing here, just surprised.

As long as we're fantasizing here, mine would be a flawlessly remanufactured and modernized North American F-86F Sabre, and/or a perfect MiG-17 and -21 (!), and a Dassault Mirage-C like the Israelis kicked butt with back in '67. That's pretty much it. Yeowww!!

I hasten to add that I'm qualified to fly precisely NONE of those aircraft, but as long as we're fantasizing........

Sigh.........

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are these yours? smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

F
Fang Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Oh man, you're pushin' my buttons! Actually I don't think that that particular -86 is an F model, but it sure looks tasty! Slobberslobberdrool.......

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The F86D is the only different F86 model I recognize by sight.

I think the middle 51 is an H model--taller fin & rudder.

Bruce

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Saw a MiG-15 and a F-86 fly at Willow Grove several years back. Elegance in motion.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My favorite is that sexy aircraft called "whistling death" by the Japanese. The F4U Corsair.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could always go for a turbine augmented Waco. I've seen this guy and he does about a 10 foot rollout and then straight up.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather have an Extra. I flew in an Extra 300 at Fighter Combat International in Phoenix as part of their aerobatic demonstration deals. Loved it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 03/15/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Saw a MiG-15 and a F-86 fly at Willow Grove several years back. Elegance in motion.

The boys at Pride Aircraft at nearby Rockford airport have imported a bunch of Migs and Su's (later models) for restoration/sale. They have been heavily into L-39 Albatrosses for the last 15-20 years. One of those large Russian transports dropped off a bunch of Migs in several different flights the last couple of years and they're beginning to show up in the flight patterns here on the weekends and VFR days. Another toy for the wealthy to attempt Darwinism.

F
Fang Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I'm getting airsick just LOOKING at that "Extra"! I'll bet that thing will roll like a window shade! PUKE!! Never in my life would it occur to me to strap a turbine to a Waco! Good grief! One mistake, one little slip, and that crate's a fireball! I wonder how much they had to bribe the FAA inspector to get that thing approved? And I wonder what that did to their insurance? Shudder........

My wife says that wingwalker looks like he weighs about 90 lbs; she says she wants to make him a sammich and feed it to him. She's weird....... I mean, I love her, but.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not fantasy, I'm in the crew of this one. LZ Litts just North of Phu Cat, April '67, hauling for the 1st Cav.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Last edited by derby_dude; 03/15/10.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have to say I agree with the F-86 and Corsair. Spitfire would also be on my 'must have' list. Was on the flight deck when we launched a couple of Corsairs, a Wildcat and a few B-25s off the deck of the Vinson just off Wikiki. Very cool to hear those radials rumble off the deck.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Would have to be one of these.
Love the P-38's

Wonder if anyone might re-create a modernized one some day?

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hard not to like the P51

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieLad
Would have to be one of these.
Love the P-38's

Wonder if anyone might re-create a modernized one some day?

For a while there was a company marketing an updated 80% scale P38. I'm not sure how much success it had.

Otto is my co-pilot.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
since this is an outdoor site, have a fantasy about something to take you into the boonies to go hunting or fishing.
Beaver, Otter, Widgeon, Goose, or this Norseman......not cheap to play here- aircraft that are 50+ years in age and over 10,000 hours of flight time can still command $450K or better.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fang
Oh man, you're pushin' my buttons! Actually I don't think that that particular -86 is an F model, but it sure looks tasty! Slobberslobberdrool.......

those aren't the F 86 H model...

those are F 86 Es or Fs... those had 6ea 50 Calibers for armament..
the H model had 4 twenty mm cannons..

the F 86 D and K models ( known as Sabre Dogs) had the radio dome above the air intake.. sort of looked like a dog nose...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bcp
The F86D is the only different F86 model I recognize by sight.

I think the middle 51 is an H model--taller fin & rudder.

Bruce

yeah the lower and upper Mustangs are D' or K models..

the Middle one is a P51 H..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
AussieLad

Go to the Aviation section of the Accurate Reloading forums site and there is a P38 there hand built by some guy in Texas(?)

One used to come up the Rio Grande valley from Socorro to ABQ and you could hear him coming.

Saw him low leveling the St Augustins also a few times also.. In fact I doubt I ever saw him above 500 ft, but that was MANY years ago.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Guys, the "Crazy Horse" P-51 in the picture above is actually a TF-51 built by Cavalier well after WW2. It has the taller tail and deeper bubble canopy along with a set of dual controls. These are dead giveaways. A guy her in Savannah has one just like it named "Diamondback".

The P-51K is just like a P-51D except for the lightweight (hollow blade) propeller it sported. Someone also referenced a P-51H. The P-51H had a shallower bubble canopy toward the rear and the rear belly of the fuselage behind the intake scoop was more angular as it went towards the tail.

Mark in GA

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.