Print Thread
Hop To
#3914287 03/20/10
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have some friends who own private planes. I got this idea to maybe build a dirt strip on my ranch so they could fly in. I know absolutely nothing about flying and not much about General Aviation.

The property is at 4,000 ft and I have maybe 8-10 acres of flat land on the south end of the ranch. Is this practical or should I file it and forget it?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You would need to ask them how long of a strip they would require. Some flat land clear of debris, and a few wind socks, and you should be set. Your pilot friends will know the rules and regulations.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How long a length do you have available? Can it be placed so aircraft can takeoff and land into prevailing wind? Obstacles to clear at each end and how high? Width available? Surface? Types of planes that will be using airstrip?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do a little research here.
http://www.shortfield.com/

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Thanks. I'm going to investigate further.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most light Single engine airplanes can live with 1500 to 2000 feet of runway just fine. It depends on obstructions on both ends of the runway. Also you will have to determine the Wind direction most of the time so you can orientate the runway to the wind direction. Its always best to land in to the wind. This way you don't end up with a cross wind most of the time. You should talk to the AOPA. They can help you with all the regulations and zoning issues that may come up.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Unless that 8-10 acres is long and skinny, and oriented in the right direction, I'm thinking it's not going to be too feasible.

I could be wrong...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Heres an obstruction that would suck

If you blow by this.....

[Linked Image]

then someone is getting wet

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My stepbrother had the bright idea of having a landing strip on his place, but those pesky electric lines on one end, and those pesky oak trees on the other end, sorta dashed his hopes and dreams in that regard. Now he has to use it for a food plot, to keep all those deer nearby. Deer are another "runway hazard" at his place, should he decide he wants to groundloop his 172.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the 80s, a client of mine built a two runway grass strip over in Mississippi, along with a hangar with an apartment above, and a shell parking lot. I rode with him looking for locations in his Stearman.....that was what he wanted the strip for, so he and his Stearman buddies could do fly-ins and spend the weekend.

I think that place was about 80 acres....no powerlines or other airports anywhere nearby.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Don't fail to investigate how much the liability insurance on your dirt strip would be. If one of your buddies clobbers in, you can rest assured his widow's lawyer will be all over you like a cheap suit.

Also check with the zoning commissioner to make sure it's within zoning guidelines; no point building it, only to be shut down by some officious pr**k with a zoning rule book in h is hand.

It may be that strictly private airstrips can evade zoning regs, but I doubt you'll get off so easily from your insurance company. Pls keep us posted on your progress. It's a great idea; I just hope it isn't shot down by a bureaucrat or an insurance man.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
lots of mountain strips in BRITISH cOLUMBIA were 1500 feet 70 or more wide,but on a benchthat fell off on both ends so trees were not a factor ..prevailing winds usually followed canyon direction ,lots of fun,

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i dont know about the laws in calif. but here in texas building a air strip can be a lot of hassel,we built one on our ranch about 10 years ago, and paved it 110ft wide and 6000 ft long, then we had to high fence it to keep the wildlife off the strip, we can land anything thats not over 55thousand pounds, and doesnt need more strip to get off the ground loaded with fuel, then we put in refueling jet a, and avgas, then a weather station- awas, lights and so on, you can spend a lot of money on an airport. getting FAA's blessing takes about 2 years, we had to move a 5 stand sporting clay range to get approval, to close to air port.but i must say after 10 years it has been a real time saver and a blessing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be better off clearing the land but not calling it an airstrip. If folks in light planes want to land on it, fine, but if you call it an airstrip and register it with all the various government agencies, then you're taking on a fair amount of liability.

Put a berm at one end of it and call it a shooting range instead.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer completly shaved. :>)

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.