Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have narrowed my search down to the following sleeping bags to compliment and or replace my Big Agnes Farwell. I am 5' 8" at 175lbs and a pretty warm sleeper. I will be using this bag on bivvy style hunts from September through November in the backcountry.

Feathered Friends Lark
Feathered Friends Snowbunting
Montbell UL Spiral Hugger #0
Montbell UL Spiral Hugger #1
Valandre Mirage 3/4
Valandre Bloody Mary
Western Mountaineering Antelope MF

What experiences bad, good or otherwise can you provide on the selection above?

Thanks, in advance!

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out of all those you chose I would be looking real hard at the Valandre Mirage 3/4 and the Western Mountaineering Antelope MF.

Both are really nice bags and I went back and forth between the mirage and a western versalite for a while. I settled on the versalite for the added warmth but what really sold me was getting inside. It is the most comfortable bag I have ever slept in. The craftsmanship of western bags is amazing. Every detail is perfect and it just surrounds you with all of its down goodness.

That's a pretty darn good list of bags and I think which ever you choose your going to be happy with.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a Feathered Friends Winter Wren that I'm quite pleased with.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WindedBowhunter
I have narrowed my search down to the following sleeping bags to compliment and or replace my Big Agnes Farwell. I am 5' 8" at 175lbs and a pretty warm sleeper. I will be using this bag on bivvy style hunts from September through November in the backcountry.

Feathered Friends Lark
Feathered Friends Snowbunting
Montbell UL Spiral Hugger #0
Montbell UL Spiral Hugger #1
Valandre Mirage 3/4
Valandre Bloody Mary
Western Mountaineering Antelope MF

What experiences bad, good or otherwise can you provide on the selection above?

Thanks, in advance!

I doubt you could go wrong with any of the bags listed.

However, I've had a nearly 20 year love affair with the USA made Western Mountaineering bags and have had the Antelope you mention... it's a fantastic bag. I've found WM bags a bit "loftier" than comparable Feathered Friends bags (also USA made).

Of those listed, my second choice would be the Valandre Bloody Mary.

Not one you listed, but I'd recommend the WM Versalite... my wife and I each have one and love it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Brad (or anyone else), have you got the chance to test drive the Bloody Mary? I find the design and concept extremely intriguing and would love to know if it works as advertised.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The I think the other bags you listed are all a cut above the MB Spiral Stretches. I got in one the other day and looked them all over and I think they might be a step in the wrong direction from the Super Stretch Line for Montbell. They are lighter, but I've been told it'd due to the use of pseudo baffles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FritoBandito
Brad (or anyone else), have you got the chance to test drive the Bloody Mary? I find the design and concept extremely intriguing and would love to know if it works as advertised.

Frito, no experience here other than the guys I know and trust say they're absolutely impeccably made and as lofty (or more so) as any bag on the market.

Personally I have no use for a 3/4 length zipper so I'd bypass the 3/4 mirage, but other than that I can't see why the Valandre wouldn't be a great choice.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
The I think the other bags you listed are all a cut above the MB Spiral Stretches. I got in one the other day and looked them all over and I think they might be a step in the wrong direction from the Super Stretch Line for Montbell. They are lighter, but I've been told it'd due to the use of pseudo baffles.

I agree. I love the Super Stretch but don't care for the Spiral. From what I understand, the Super Stretch and Spiral will be have their good features combined in the new bags that should be coming out this spring.

Ed T

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by FritoBandito

I haven't tested a Bloody Mary but did have a Shocking Blue for several months last winter. It was the finest made bag I have ever used and I have tried a lot of them. That said, I think there are other bags that are excellent for a lot less money. The Valandre' bags are like the top of the alpha euro optics, the best of the best, but for quite a bit less money you can get something that is real close. I also am like Brad, in that I have no use for 3/4 length zippers, but if they work for you its a way to save a bit of weight.

Ed T

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ed_T
I agree. I love the Super Stretch but don't care for the Spiral. From what I understand, the Super Stretch and Spiral will be have their good features combined in the new bags that should be coming out this spring.

Those would be the new Super Spirals, and we received some last week. First impression is that they aren't as good as the Super Stretch line, but I should really spend some time with one to check it out anyway.

Carl

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for all of the useful information! Carl, we would like some more feedback on the the Super Stretch line.

Rudy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you want a super stretch move fast, they are no longer in production. There are still a few around. Of the two MB temp ranges you were looking at I think Prolite still has the #0 on sale. SS Down Hugger #0
Not sure if you've been in them or not, but they have a different feel. I like it but I know not everyone does. As per the name, they do gently hug your body, but stretch a TON when you move.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
If you want a super stretch move fast, they are no longer in production. There are still a few around.

+1

I grabbed a SS Down hugger #0 for almost half off on clearance sale a few weeks ago. Backcountrygear.com had them cheap. I just looked now and they're all gone.

You might try ebay or the classifieds.

They're great bags though. Comfy, stretchy and WARM.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've the WM Antelope and really like it- especially for late fall and winter use.
The bag compresses nicely, is very warm, and seems to be quite water resistant, though I have to admit I live in a pretty dry climate.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
This is some good info, at least it seems that I was looking in the right direction.

Ed, I would be interested in knowing what you would compare to the Valandre BM for less money but close to or equal in quality

Kenaiking, what temps have you used your WM Antelope bag in? Did you use a shelter? What kind? What did you wear for insulation in the colder temps?

In addition, I think that I need to do test fit into some of the bags that I listed. This may thin the choices down, if I can't wear some additional layers, in case it gets cold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WB,

I don't have the antelope I have a versalite. I have had the versalite down to 20 degrees and been nice and warm with just long underwear on.

I think Brad has has lots of experience with the antelope.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had my WM Antelope down to 10*F, and it was still toasty.
I want to see how it does in subzero temps, maybe this next winter?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a WM Antelope MF and love it. No experience with the others listed.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
kenaiking, where were you able to slip into the WM bag? Was this a store?

340boy, what was your insulation clothing at 10*?

Here, back East, nobody carries these bags....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried mine on at northern lights trading post.

You might want to check out hermits hut. They have free shipping, free overfill and a free pillow. About the best place to get western bags. That way if it doesn't work out your only out shipping one way.

http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=hhut&query=western&vwcatalog=hhut&.autodone=http://www.hermitshut.com/prandco.html

SH08
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,121
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.