Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Anyone got them? Any advice?

The old Craftsman lawn tractor (which I only use for cutting grass) is almost on it's last legs. I have a ton of bushes, trees and irregular shapes to mow around. all of our lawn is close to being level ground too. From what I've read so far, "zero turn" mowers are just the ticket. But - nothing beats talking to an actual owner or user.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I ran a lot of them while working landscaping through high school and college (and a bit thereafter).

Toro makes a very good one.

And, yeah, they are slicker'n snot on a doorknob.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SCAG makes one of the best.

http://www.scag.com/index.html

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yep, SCAG is excellent as well.

Trying to remember the others that I ran, and SCAG was one of them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used one at work a bit and really like them. I am considering one for myself but can't decide if it is really worth the extra money over a traditional tractor type mower.

Just looking at Home Depot the other day I noticed 2 mowers, both had the same motor, same 42" cut. But the Zero turn was $2,500, the tracor, $1,500.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the Cub Cadet 50" with 22hp twin cylinder Kawasaki liquid cooled engine. My only complaint is the seat, which could be more comfortable, other than that, I think it's the best value in its class.

I went from 2.5 hours of mowing to 1 hour and 10 minutes. I love this thing!!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

If you can afford it, Walker mowers are considered among the best with landscapers/lawn maintenance folks.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 62" ExMark, what used to take me about 6 hours, I now get done in less then an hour. Best investment I have made for the house.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use a Kubota ZD21. It is a 21hp diesel with a 60" deck. That thing will flat mow some grass. It is not the smoothest thing to drive, all the suspension is in the tires and seat. There are others out there that have suspension .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't see where a zero turn would help me much. We have a lot of edges etc also.

I had an Sears and now J Deere 125 auto. I can't see enjoying the spinning around.

Save your money.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had the same Cub Cadet 50" Zero Turn w/ 22hp Kawasaki for nearly 3 years now and its the only way to go imo. Mowing 1.5 acres in about 30 mins and spending time doing things with my family instead of riding a tractor mower 3x as long.

Standard maintenance at regular intervals like oil/filter changes, checking fluids, blade sharpening, deck washing, etc. has resulted in no necessary repairs to date.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The zero turns may not be the best for mowing uneven ground, but otherwise they are the way to go. My current mower is too good to abandon, but when it is time for a new mower it will be zero turn.

There are really three levels of zero turn mowers. First is the very expensive professional quality-like Scag. Then you have estate mowers that have many commercial features, but are much cheaper (smaller and narrower decks) but still high quality. Finally, there are the homeowner models like the Toro and Cub Cadet. They are much cheaper and are a good deal for average size yards. They have much simpler hydraulics and usually have stamped decks instead of fabricated.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SCAG is recommended highly by a friend of mine in Wichita who mows lawns commercially. This guy isn't a college dropout or something. He's got a PhD in Entomology and runs tree trimming, pesticide, mowing/trimming and snow removal services.

http://www.galttech.com/research/household-DIY-tools/best-zero-turn-radius-lawn-mowers.php

I've got a Swisher trimmer but not a ZTR. (I've got a John Deere.) Swisher is made near here and a good company, IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know I havent seen all the zero-turn mowers on the market today, but the Bunton is the best I have ever seen. Built like a tank, you can stand on one side of the mower deck and it doesnt sag! Ours has a Kawasaki motor and runs great. They are pricey!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
got a cub cadet enforcer. half the time on both lawns i mow. would buy another. no repairs on first years use. does burn gas for all that speed . am able to do quite a hilly lawn even when not recommended, just have to get used to how to mow a side hill. I love mine and the time savings. 4 1/2 hours to under 2.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a grasshopper and have used it for 5 years. I mow 1.75 acres with hills. If I could do it over, I probably would buy a larger tractor style mower. A few observations:

I like the mower, but it will tear up the yard if it is wet.

There is no hitch pin on mine, so you have nothing to tow, thatch and pick up limbs with. I use my 4-wheeler

You sit very upright and on uneven ground or even bending around tree limbs can be tough on a back.

The ZT mowers in the big retail outlets only have 1 transmission and only turn 1 tire. Make sure you test drive both for teh difference.

Repairs are very expensive.

With 5 years and close to 300 hours on the nower, there is little sign of wear.

I do like the cut

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned a Bunton and sold it so I could buy a Kubota Diesel. The Bunton is a great mower but I have off road diesel for the tractor so I wanted a Kubota. No other reason.

I had a finish mower for the tractor. The zero turn mower cuts grass at least half the time of the tractor. I would not go any other route, personally.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dixie Chopper. Best one in this area of the US.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John deere commercial 7 iron F680. Great mower, my wife does all our mowing and loves this thing. Plenty of power and a good bagging system.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've owned two. Best thing since sliced bread and canned beer.Choose a brand you can get service and parts for near you. Choose your deck width wisely as bigger is not always better...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 43 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,345
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.