Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Plastic triggerguard & barrelband, painted receiver......

Ruger heads need to roll.......

MtnHtr

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yeah they need to do something. I got a Ruger sporter two years ago witht he SS 22'' barrel and would stock no band. Now the same model is all painted and looks like crap. The 10/22 needs to stay a classic not become a crappic.

Last edited by RugerM77270; 04/25/09.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
The receiver is soaking in paint stripper right now, pretty site watching the paint bubble up.

Ought to bill Ruger for this!

MtnHtr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When did they start doing that??? I have three, all about 5-6 years old. Don't recall a painted receiver ... hafta look. Yeah they do have plastic barrel bands (well the only onle that is still stock.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm not 100% but I read in 2008.

I sent a bill to Ruger for $100, may have to turn them over to collections! grin

MtnHtr

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The receivers were anodized before, but with the advent of the Charger "pistol" they did the deed and started painting them, and they didn't do a good job of that, either. A buddy bought a Charger for conversion to .17HM2 and there were paint flecks coming off the inside of the receiver, he had it stripped and Duracoated (or similar finish).
It turned out pretty nice, but he also had to swap out the trigger group for all metal parts as well (amongst other things).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just saw some in the store the other day ... $230, didn't notice their receivers .... did the price drop on these painted ones? Price went up and quality went down? I've bought three of these one I paid $150 and the others were $130 new .... I like the 10/22, but not for $230. But then again what other game is in town in that market? Marlin? or the 597

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger and the 10/22 is not alone. I picked up a new CZ 452 FS (Full Stock) last week. Pretty little thing and function and accuracy what I expected. However the receiver/barrel finish is a dull matte unlike the 453 American I got a few years ago. But, the worst part was the forend cap wich appears to be plastic. On a classic format like the full stock that is just unforgivable IMO.

The love of money,(profit), is the root of all plastic, (evil).

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mtn Hunter,

Thanks for the post. I didn't know anything about that.

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bearstalker,

You're welcome! Plastic trigger too!

MtnHtr

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Plastic triggerguard & barrelband, painted receiver......

Ruger heads need to roll.......

MtnHtr

Oh I don't know. Do you know anyone that leaves them stock? Most of them I have seen, or owned, were customized in some way or another pretty quickly after purchase. smile

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had a pretty old 10-22, old enough to have a walnut stock on it. Needed room in the safe though, so I gave it to a grandson.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
recently bough another 10/22. QA is getting bad. The firing pin wouldn't strike the round half the time. Had to get a replacement bolt. Paint flakes off, lots of plastic.

It's cost cutting to keep the price point. Given all the mods you need to do now to have a decent rifle, I think my next 10/22 will be a Volquartsen.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I checked one of the new ones out last nite .... pathetic .... a plastic trigger ... really??

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mannlicher: I currently own 3 (three) Ruger 10/22's that I use for small game and Varmint Hunting.
All three of them are "Deluxe" Model 10/22's with the fancy wood and checkering.
Two of them are bone stock and shoot quite well as is.
The third has been customized many years ago - this Rifle has a long, heavy, stainless, match chambered, Lilja barrel on it!
For the cost of that barrel back then, I could have bought two more Deluxe Model Ruger 10/22's!
I also added a recoil dampener and a trigger part over the years to this Rifle.
And I probably should have invested my money in more Deluxe 10/22's instead of the match chambered barrel - as it has more than its share of stove pipe type jams (due I am sure to the "tight" chamber and the constant flow of cheap ammo through it).
Around these parts I would say at least half of the Ruger 10/22's are left stock in their many and varied styles of factory offerings.

As far as the "dumbing down of the Ruger 10/22" or the cheapening (?) of it - I also am distraught over this situation myself!
Come on Ruger "painted actions"???
How much did that save the company?
A buck a copy?
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have two of these little rifles. Both are old but in good shape. My Squirrel killer is Mannlicher stocked, and as it came from the factory.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dat is a cool looking lil toy ... not too many of those floating around!

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here are some pics of the receiver and the plastic triggerguard housing. I should have taken some pictures before stripping the paint off the receiver. There is still some remaining paint which is being stripped as of now. I also drilled a cleaning rod access hole at the rear of the receiver, seems a sensible mod.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/MtnHtr/IMGP0470.jpg[/img]

This weekend the receiver, scope base and rings will be blasted and receive a coat of Cerakote or GunKote and baked.
(note - this is a friend's rifle - not mine)

Volquartsen tube and parts await...........

MtnHtr

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The 10 22 rugers now are pretty well priced, I tossed the pine ridge mine came with and put my old simmons that was gathering dust on it. I cleaned the "plaint flakes" that had gathered in the reciever, for around 100$ I replaced the plastic trigger, trigger gaurd, and barrel band. Gun's all steel, and it's a real shooter. There are replacement steel parts out there for those who don't like the plastic, for everyone else the gun is more affordable than ever.....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Looking at MOST new guns about makes me want to hurl. I was at Gouger Mountain the other day and just happen to be looking at .22's. Things were SO bad that one of the better looking guns was the hideous Winchester imported Wildcat or whatever they call it. Not that I'd buy that POS. What a horrific experience just being in that store! If and when the day comes that this crap is all I can get, then I�ll only need one round of ammo � for myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,677
Posts18,513,328
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.