Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Cheesy

My thoughts are the small SUV's/trucks don't gain you but a couple mpg and you lose too much in space for the cost. Would rather have a quality car for driving around and mileage and keep a truck for hunting. Personally Ill pay at the pump for the added comfort and size that a fullsize truck gives me.

So true--I about had a cow when I saw how lousy the mpg of V-6 small trucks........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mako25
My new CRV is struggling to make 20mpg frown

I'm told it will improve with time.

Geezuz--and you're at sea level.........hate to see what happens at 8000 ft.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As others have said, you'll be doing good to get 25 mpg in a true 4x4. I have a 2000 Chevy S10 extended cab 4x4 PU with a shell and if the wind is behind me I can get 23 mpg on the highway (4.3L V-6 auto). Wife drives a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 and can manage 23 or 24 mpg on the highway (4.3L inline-6 auto). 20 mpg is a more reasonable goal for a 4x4.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've been driving an 85 subaru for the last 3 and a half years. It has high and low range. I have stuck it once. High centered in snow. I've actually taken it off road once. Drove it up through the trees to get to a different road. Not counting regular upkeep and tires I got less than 1000.00 in it. Still getting 28mpg. If your just taking it on logging roads it'll do just fine. You can even go some places the big 4x4 trucks can't.

I came up on a 4x4 dodge stopped at a windfall tree. They couldn't get around it. I drove down into the ditch and got under it though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Personally Ill pay at the pump for the added comfort and size that a fullsize truck gives me.

And added safety.
I don't like driving small vehicles.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geezuz--and you're at sea level.........

Actually I'm pretty tall - 6'4". grin

The CRV was my middle finger to Government Motors, I don't know if I regret it yet or not. It's neat to drive, scoots around like it's posessed, but the fuel economy hasn't been all that great - yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't like driving small vehicles.

Thirty-some years ago, if it didn't have a fullsized backseat - I wouldn't own it. Now I want a console shift.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Don't know of any true (hi/low range) 4x4 vehicles with gas engines that will get 35mpg.

Maybe one of the small, all-wheel drive sedans/suvs might do it.

Last Spring I bought a used 2003 Chevrolet Tracker (Suzuki), auto. trans., 4dr., 4cyl. 4x4 w/hi-low range transfer case that, so far, has been averaging 24-27mpg. town/highway driving.

I've read of some owners of the little 2 dr 4 cyl. std. trans., 4x4 Trackers claiming to get 30mpg on the highway from theirs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My truck gets 15mpg is that close enough? Lol. Actually it got 19mpg highway when new till I leveled up the front end, took the air dam off, hang a couple hundred pound grille guard and then a winch on the front, and added larger tires.

For whatever reason that kinda killed my mileage lol. Picking up the front end dropped the most mileage off, which is why I guess all new 4wd trucks come so nose down.

Oh it gets 99mpg according to the instant mileage computer - if you can find a way to drive down a pretty steep hill 100% of the time you'll have it made.

Last edited by NathanL; 03/22/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Ringman
My wife is not going for the older truck restored. So, can anyone tell me what is a great gas mileage 4X4 like a Rav 4 or Subaru that gets maybe 35 mile per gallon?

Subarus are great little 4x4's, and they've had it perfected for decades. Getting one to do over 30mpg is a stretch, for any model. None of the mini crossovers will come close except for the Ford hybrid.
Do you absolutely need a 4x4? The new Jetta TDI SportsWagon has a lot of room in it and will get over 40 mpg's. It's front wheel drive, and they go like crazy in the snow, especially if you equip them with a set of Blizzak tires for the winter. I drove one for years 150 miles round trip to work, in and out of Chicago, and there were days that I swore I would have needed a 4x4 to get there and back. The VW took me in and out no problem on those days. I also drove it up to our place in northeast Ontario in the winter several times to do some ice fishing, and a few of those trips had horrible weather. It did just fine.
They also have one of the best safety ratings available on any car you can buy; more airbags than you count. The VW wagons are still built in Wulfsburg, and the quality is outstanding for the price. Just throwing out an option.....
Jim

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I had a 2003 F250 Diesel 2 X 4 that averaged 20 mpg broke down constantly. I now have a 2006 F350 long crew cab 4 X 4 it averages 16.5 mpg I guess I did not learn my lesson on the first one.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The Subaru would make a pretty decent "Momma's car" and get decent mileage.

But real SUV's, like the guys said, you are going to be lucky to hit the high twenties for mpg and then only if you stay away from the V-6 engines.

A buddy had a Toyota V-6, 5 spd, 4X4 pickup. He sold it because it used just as much fuel as his 02 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 with the 6.0 V-8. And my 96 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 with a 5.7 Vortech uses less fuel than my Toyota 4 Runner V-6 with a brand new engine and tune up.

My cousin has one of the GMC Canyon mid size pickups with the inline five cylinder. It gets pretty decent mpg and has power up the wazoo. Her's is the double cab with four doors and does not make a bad family vehicle, although the four and a half foot box on the back is fairly useless.

I have been looking at the HP and torque ratings, tow capacities, and mpg of the Canyon with the new larger I-4. I would definitely consider one to haul the grandkids and my little Lund boat down to the local fishing hole.

I would only have to make sure the truck was built before 09, before Obama bought the company.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Chevy Equinox/ GMC Terrain is supposed to have the best Hwy mileage of any compact SUV. You'll have to go hybrid if you want good city mileage.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Equinox/

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/GMC_Terrain/

Edit: PS I have a Tribute/Escape and would not buy another one. 17MPG average and struts gone at 40K.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our AWD rav 4 has gotten 29 mpg highway in the past.But you cant fit a rifle in the back without folding up the rear seats.
No low range,in fact,no way to shift the AWD system at all.
My new Tacoma access cab 2wd gets over 25mpg highway with the 4 cylinder auto.The regular cab /manual 2wd I had got 27 mpg on the highway

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by NathanL
My truck gets 15mpg is that close enough? Lol. Actually it got 19mpg highway when new till I leveled up the front end, took the air dam off, hang a couple hundred pound grille guard and then a winch on the front, and added larger tires.

For whatever reason that kinda killed my mileage lol. Picking up the front end dropped the most mileage off, which is why I guess all new 4wd trucks come so nose down.

[Linked Image]
Same here. Add a 3/16ths bumper and full underbody plates, bigger tires and a lift and if I drive like Ganny I'll get 17 on the road.
Hitting a deer and turning it into instant sausage, priceless.
about 280hp w/ low range. Punch it and it goes. I'm happy

Last edited by wildbill59; 03/22/10.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Y'all need bigger gallons of gas and your mileage will improve. Go back to the imperial gallon, and your mileage will increase automatically by 25%. laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my 1988 4Runner gives me 20 mpg around town, 27 on the road, and as near as I can figure, about 12 when in the woods, and using the 4X4 option in mud and sand.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think 30+ mpg in a 4wd (Hi/Lo transfer case) is probably not doable. My Nissan pickup with the king cab, V-6, 5speed, and a camper shell gets around 20 mpg for general driving and about 22-23 mpg on the interstate.

My dad has a Chevy (Suzuki) Tracker that gets about 28 MPG but its awfully small especially if you are a big fellow like me.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had a Suzuki Samuri that got 32. You couldn't pull a nightcrawler out of it's hole with it though.....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by brinky72
I have heard nothing but good about the Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner platform. My dad owns an Escape and can manage 26mpg if behaving. They now have a 240 hp v6 and maintain the same fuel economy. Not bad considering that the late 80's early 90's Ford Bronco squeaked out 185 hp out of a 302 v8 and got maybe 16mpg. So far only thing with better mileage was a home made Jeep Wrangler with a VW turbo diesel four cylinder in it that a buddy of mine built. 40 mpg with Jeep gears. Good luck finding a VW turbo diesel four cylinder though.......

Wish I could say the same about my 5.4

It sucks gas like a Camel - but only when dragging somethin behind me.My airboat weighs more than my camper - but I get better mpg when I pull the airboat than the camper ..have not figured that one out yet..

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (204guy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,766
Posts18,515,376
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.