-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
La. governor has asked the AG to join in the lawsuits, waiting to see what happens.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hopefully here in Oklahoma, the democratic AG, Drew Edmondson, will follow the other states and file suit or join.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Oldmanms2003
La. governor has asked the AG to join in the lawsuits, waiting to see what happens.

They filed with and in FL this morning.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by isaac
For Virginia, and perhaps more states to follow, the real question will be what will the Feds attempt to do as more states nullify the law.

You're putting the attention in the wrong direction.

Any federal action in response to this, or as a decision to this, will be met with some response by and from the states.

The question is what will the states do, and how far will they go.

===========

It's where my attention has been for 3 weeks following Va's General Assembly passage of our law.Now you're following me! Have we been saying the same thing from opposite directions? You seem to be agreeing with the Supremacy Clause position above as the rule and your comments of yesterday seemed opposite,as well.

Last edited by isaac; 03/23/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
For Virginia, and perhaps more states to follow, the real question will be what will the Feds attempt to do as more states nullify the law.

You're putting the attention in the wrong direction.

Any federal action in response to this, or as a decision to this, will be met with some response by and from the states.

The question is what will the states do, and how far will they go.

===========

It's where my attention has been for 3 weeks following Va's general Assembly passage of our law.Now you're following me! Have we been saying the same thing from opposite directions? You seem to be agreeing with the Supremacy Clause position above as the rule.

Not necessarily.

What I'm asking, is what happens if/when:

1) court(s) say "fed law trumps" under supremacy; and/or,
2) feds retaliate via purse-strings, rewrite, etc., should the court(s) side with the states.

What will the states do then, and how far will they go?

THAT is the question that I am asking, and really, the only one that I think matters.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
No state, including VA or TX where I live where 11 out of 10 people are Republicans, gets to decide that a federal law does not apply to their citizens. I am not mistaken about this. VA residents will soon be affected by this legislation, just like everyone else in every other state.

If states could do whatever they wanted, then the PRK would have outlawed ALL typeS of firearms long ago. Alabama and Mississippi would not allow black people to vote per their governors of the day. Little Rock tried to keep black people out of a high school.

Texas wants to secede now, will they be allowed to do this...no.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by june6th1944

Texas wants to secede now, will they be allowed to do this...no.

Actually, that is one option that has never been litigated.

I stand by the position that states still retain that right, as no contract is irrevocable or unbreakable by any party to it.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I think the answer may lie in the strength of the numbers. 2 states or 30.

Remember, as I know you do, there has been much SC dicta from the conservative 5 on the SC bench addressing the will of the people and/or public opinion. Today, we have 13 suits already filed with several solo filings occurring today as well. There are more to follow.

If the SC bucks the majority rule of the people and the filings of 35 or more states, then some states will continue to lead the charge...such as Virginia. Where you still have a home,you know!!

PS...there will be absolutely no war over this, if that's where you're going. That's chatter of the silly,IMO.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
VA residents will soon be affected by this legislation, just like everyone else in every other state.

How so?

William Arthur Ward

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
13 attorneys general sue over health care overhaul
By BRENDAN FARRINGTON, Associated Press Writer Brendan Farrington, Associated Press Writer � 4 mins ago

No Republicans in the U.S. House or Senate voted for the bill.

Didn't one Repungent vote for this? CAO ?

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don't think Texas secession has been litigated, and I do not know the specifics. Some still believe TX can secede if it wanted (i.e. the governor).

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
No state, including VA or TX where I live where 11 out of 10 people are Republicans, gets to decide that a federal law does not apply to their citizens. I am not mistaken about this.
===============

Don't make a bet on it. Va already has done just that.

William Arthur Ward

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I just wish it were that easy to get rid of Texas.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by wildbill59
13 attorneys general sue over health care overhaul
By BRENDAN FARRINGTON, Associated Press Writer Brendan Farrington, Associated Press Writer � 4 mins ago

No Republicans in the U.S. House or Senate voted for the bill.

Didn't one Repungent vote for this? CAO ?

No. He voted "yes" last fall, but "no" this time.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
No Bill...he caved and voted no.

William Arthur Ward

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

If the SC bucks the majority rule of the people and the filings of 35 or more states, then some states will continue to lead the charge...such as Virginia. Where you still have a home,you know!!

I'm only asking to what extent will they "lead that charge"; to what end.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Must be rhetorical, bro, because no one here can answer for everyone else....

It's all fun and games till someone may get their eye put out....

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by RWE

Must be rhetorical, bro, because no one here can answer for everyone else....

Yep.

And, to me, that's the only answer left that matters; how far are we and the states willing to go to say "no"?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by june6th1944
No state, including VA or TX where I live where 11 out of 10 people are Republicans, gets to decide that a federal law does not apply to their citizens. I am not mistaken about this. VA residents will soon be affected by this legislation, just like everyone else in every other state.

Read the 10th. There hasn't been a reason for a state to exercise its rights, nor for the individual to demand its state to do so in relation to a bill such as this one. This one, hopefully, will come down to a simple interpretation of big government overstepping its Constitutional limitations. Big government might make some threats against a few states, but if 30 come along, the story will be quite different, I think.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
The strongest initial charge and attack should happen in November. Who knows what will happen if the SC rules it constitutional down the road.

The Feds can't buck the the aggregate will of 35 or more states who declare the law invalid as to it's citizens. It could likely be the Feds attempt to aggressively pursue enforcement against the mass majority of defiant states that raises the discourse a notch.

William Arthur Ward

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.