Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 270 grain interlock heavy mags from hornady? I bought two boxes but haven't fired them yet. How is the accuracy, and recoil of these? Does the "special powder" actually burn cooler/operate at lower pressure?

Last edited by Dinosaur; 03/23/10.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heck you gotta get rid of that H&H and get a 375 Ruger. Then you will have to support Hornady's BS.

Insofar as your question goes: Heavy mag is no longer made, we now have Super Performance that claims 2800 fps with a 270. that's ONLY 300 fps faster than anything on the Hodgdon website. Magic powder made by a secret company that knows more than all those other powder companies. Uh Huh.

I think Hornady is morphing into Herter's of old....or maybe it's a smoothbore.

I'll stick with my 270 TSXs, 76.0 of IMR 4350 @2500 and 46,700 CUP. I'd hate to even guess the CUP on a 2800 fps load.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
As far as switching to the ruger it's out of the question..... I haven't seen anything on the heavies being discontinued??? Hornady says they use cooler burning powders.... The reason I was wondering, I liked the fact that they were spire points, and offered pretty flat trajectory. I don't handload so a good factory load is what i was trying to achieve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's the word on heavy magnum:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Light-magnum-heavy-magnum/

Don't know what you plan to hunt, so hard to suggest a factory load. North America and Africa may demand different ammo.

For Moose, Elk and all Bears but the biggest Brown the 270s you bought will do great. Last thing I shot with my Sauer 90 Lux 375 H&H was a nice buck Antelope at 275 yards with an old 210 gr Barnes X moving out at 3000 fps. (shoots as flat as a 180 30-06)
Needless to say, dead in his footprints.

The 375 H&H is a very easy cartridge to reload, in fact a great one to start with. The flexibity in bullet choices is huge and it is also a very accurate and "fun" cast bullet gun when loaded to 375 Winchester levels. (great on whitetails!)

Just busting on you about the 375 Ruger Hawkeye, it's a POS that will be obsolete long before the last 375 H&H has been hung up. My latest is an older Ruger Mk II RSM in 375 H&H.

Good hunting!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oldman it really looks like elkhuntingguide got it right when he said you were a storehouse of outdated and incorrect information.
First of all both the older 270gr Heavy Mag and the new 270gr Superformance ammo claim a MV of 2870fps and not the 2800 you wrote. Secondly, do you, for even a second in the litigious society we live in, believe that Hornady would market loads that exceeded SAAMI pressure specs? You're nuts if you do.

Finally, very few people care to see every rifle you claim to own so do me and those with dialup a favor and quit posting pics of targets and guns unless someone asks you to.

Jeez, and to think I felt bad for you at one time here and even went so far as to defend you.

To the OP, although I haven't used the .375H&H HM ammo, all the other LM or HM that I've used lived up to the velocity claims and if not the most accurate factory loads they have all been acceptably accurate.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well Oldman!!!......I see that you`re bashing the 375 Ruger,,,again!!! Seems like old fodder with you, and of course your foolish comments based on your opinions, which are based strictly on ,,,EMOTION,,,have little merit as always.

Mine and others "POS" and of course "ugly" 375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskans, will "DO" anything on ANY game, at ANY range, and is just as accurate and just as reliable if not more so than ANY 375 H&H (British made rifle or otherwise) in your inventory!!!!

You keep stating and hoping of course, that somehow the 375 Ruger cartridge will be virtually obsolete someday. You keep right on thinking that. The more you think and then transfer your thoughts to a keyboard, the dumber you become.

It is amazing how arrogant, knee jerk and opinionated you are with things that you have absolutely no experience with.

Have you chrony`d any 375 Ruger Superformance factory loads yet???? But you don`t own a 375 Ruger do you??? Why of course not!!!

Were you ever actively engaged in the development of any Superformance ammo within the Hornady labs??

Are you privy to world-wide 375 Ruger rifle sales figures??? You must have sat in on some sales and marketing meetings at Ruger and at Hornady too?? Maybe have access to inside marketing info??

I know the answer to all of the above!!!!..HELL NO!

A conclusion of BS abouit something, would certainly have far better credibility "IF" one came to that conclusion based on actual experience. But no, not you!!! Why of course not!!!!!!

I have not used any 375 Ruger Superformance as of yet. However with near max doses of H-4350 (no pressure signs), I have chrony`d 2808 fps from my "way inferior POS" 20" tubed 375 Ruger Alaskan using 270 grain Hornady SPs! That same published load which I can reference btw, gave 2875 fps from a 23" 375 Ruger African test rifle. But what the hell, that author must be lying,,,,right??? OH! BUT YOU WERE THERE??? So therefore YOU have some experience,,,,right???

Next year, the year after that, and the year after that and with many more years to follow, you will always wish till the day you croak, that the 375 Ruger will simply go away!!!

Well!!!............GOOD LUCK!!!!!

PS!....Is 2500 fps with a 270 grainer is the best you can do from your longer barreled 375 H&H "BRITISH" rifle????

C`mon Oldman! Afterall, your superior and longer barreled British rifle should do better than that!! Maybe too much recoil for ya if you load `er up????.....Grow some!!!!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the input guys, seems like a war going on here! shocked I personally think the .375 ruger is a dandy! I already have the h&h though (however much I would love to have both) so that's why the ruger is out of the question haha. I have always used hornady, but never their Light/heavy stuff so the input helps! I don't often get to head out and shoot :'( The first game this gun will take is whitetail, but it's going out to wyoming for mulies & elk, after that it will head to alaska for the big bears. If africa is ever in the future it will be what I take! I bought the heavy 270s because I wanted a flat round for longer shots in wyoming! I have some prvi partizan 300 grainers I will be using for the big stuff

Last edited by Dinosaur; 03/24/10.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dinosaur
Thanks for the input guys, seems like a war going on here! shocked I personally think the .375 ruger is a dandy! I already have the h&h though (however much I would love to have both) so that's why the ruger is out of the question haha. I have always used hornady, but never their Light/heavy stuff so the input helps! I don't often get to head out and shoot :'( The first game this gun will take is whitetail, but it's going out to wyoming for mulies & elk, after that it will head to alaska for the big bears. If africa is ever in the future it will be what I take! I bought the heavy 270s because I wanted a flat round for longer shots in wyoming! I have some prvi partizan 300 grainers I will be using for the big stuff
..............Every thread on here where "Oldman1942" has participated, there always is a war of some kind of varying degrees.

The 375 Ruger will be around long after the day of his eulogy!!!!.. laugh grin...And mine too!... grin

He`s just peeeeed off because there`s a newer kid on the block that is very successful, is more modern, and is somewhat ballistically superior. That interferes with his precious H&H territory.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BS, what an appropriate moniker. Let me see 375 Ruger gun made by one company ammo made by one company yup a recipe for a long life.... 30 Remington, 5mm Remington, all the Newtons.

The only "war" is in the minds of the control freaks aka the brat pack who MUST control or they fail (as they are).

You enjoy your 375 Ruger, I'll enjoy my 7x61 S&H (GRIN)

BTW the load I quoted is MAX off the Hodgden website but I know you have a better lab facility than they do....uh huh.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oldman1942
BS, what an appropriate moniker. Let me see 375 Ruger gun made by one company ammo made by one company yup a recipe for a long life.... 30 Remington, 5mm Remington, all the Newtons.

The only "war" is in the minds of the control freaks aka the brat pack who MUST control or they fail (as they are).

You enjoy your 375 Ruger, I'll enjoy my 7x61 S&H (GRIN)

BTW the load I quoted is MAX off the Hodgden website but I know you have a better lab facility than they do....uh huh.
...................You are quite the moron. Who cares whether or not a gun or ammo is made by just one company or not. And what would that have to do with how long anything lasts? You are quite the marketing genius. Besides that Mr. Intelligencia, I reload. So I have no need to buy factory ammo. Plenty of 375 Ruger brass out there.

Go to "legacysports.com" and see Howa offering the 375 Ruger. I have a pic of a CZ rifle on the front cover of my `08 Hodgdon manual. The cartridge? A 375 Ruger! Perhaps you should contact the top brass at Legacy Sports and ask them why in the world they would consider chambering a cartridge that won`t last???!!!

Control freak Oldman??? Look who`s the control freak. Afterall, you sir are the "hunting policeman" or as I more appropriately call you,,,"Deputy Dog",,,where you tell everyone what bullets to use, at what ranges we should shoot our game and what our hunting ethics should be. When it comes to the term "control freak", you should really look in the mirror!

And as usual, your above opinion reveals your ignorance when it comes to the .375 Ruger. In all of your hype on every thread when it comes to this round, ALL you have EVER presented, are just your knee jerk opinions based only on your opinions, which have no substantiation in marketing or sales facts to back up your claims that,,,,the 375 Ruger will become obsolete and fade away. Other than your ridiculous opinions, where`s your factual evidence of future obsolesense?????

Because one company (Ruger) is the only maker that produces the 375 Ruger rifles and factory ammo (FOR NOW), is by no means a "moniker" as you say which determines the life of a cartridge. I can tell that you are "such" a WELL educated marketing and sales genius!!

On the day of your funeral (assuming you are placed in a casket), I hope someone places a few 375 Ruger shells
in your coffin. I certainly would if given the oppty!!!!

PS! From a proud member of the "brat pack!"

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You enjoy your world of OZ. I'll stick with the proven record or the 375 H&H & 300 H&H. You keep getting sucked in by the latest buzz toys that do nothing the classics won't and in most cases not as well.

Enjoy trying to find ammo for them in Nairobi.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll stick with my 270 TSXs, 76.0 of IMR 4350 @2500 and 46,700 CUP. I'd hate to even guess the CUP on a 2800 fps load.
.................`Oldman................Your above IMR4350 loading is the max loading (you say) for a 375 H&H using a 270 grain bullet according to Hodgdon??? I`m so amazed by your factual research, because you have so clearly demonstrated that in the past and on this thread too.

I read in my two (`08 and `10) Hodgdon manuals, that 78.5 gr of IMR 4350 @ 53,000 CUP, with a velocity of 2710 fps from 24" and 25" barrels respectively, is the max loading. The Hodgdon manuals also duplicate what is listed on the their web site. You`re missing out there `ol buddy!.... laugh

But! What the hey! Your pretty "British" rifle may not be able to be loaded that high????..... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know where oldman gets his loading data but I suspect it just comes straight from his addled mind.
In 2 different threads last night his advice about loads has been proven to be just plain false. He'll never admit he was wrong though because to do so would be to lessen the already miniscule stature of his egotistical and domineering mind.
Delusions are unhealthful oldman you need to shed some.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If i may voice my opinion on the subject, I would say look at the .204 ruger! It was once like the .375 ruger, only being chambered in rugers own rifles with limited ammo. But folks realized what a good round it is, it is now chambered in a lot of rifles with ammo ready. And it still doesn't make rounds like .223 remington, or .17 hmr go extinct although they share very similar purposes in the hunting world! I think the h&h and ruger are both awesome rounds, both have their strong points and I imagine both will be around for a very long time smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You enjoy your world of OZ. I'll stick with the proven record or the 375 H&H & 300 H&H. You keep getting sucked in by the latest buzz toys that do nothing the classics won't and in most cases not as well.

Enjoy trying to find ammo for them in Nairobi.
...........Not as well uh??? You are so full of crapola your eyeballs are turning dark brown!!!! All that needs to be proven is consistent accuracy and bullet speed. You don`t need a track record of nearly 100 years in order to prove a cartridge, especially when shooting the same bullets. A few months of R&D and field testing is all that`s needed. Maybe in your idiotic thinking though a round that`s nearly 100 years old, is WELL proven!

I won`t be in Africa soon anyway so that`s not an issue. BTW! I hear that a few African PHs are ordering and buying 375 Ruger rifles. But I digress!!!

I`ll be more than happy to join Ruger and Hornady in their,,,"world of OZ",,,as they certainly have far more credibility than your biased and un-factual knee jerk opinions. Their world of "OZ" is far better, with much better merit than are your biased and knee jerk rants.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What part of 270 TSX did you miss? Or do you have a double secret website Dean Wormer?

mine says 75 gr compressed gives 2465 @ 42.8K CUP.

the Hodgdon manuals are generic and not bullet specific.

think it's time for you to add one to the ignore list AMF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I don't know where oldman gets his loading data but I suspect it just comes straight from his addled mind.
In 2 different threads last night his advice about loads has been proven to be just plain false. He'll never admit he was wrong though because to do so would be to lessen the already miniscule stature of his egotistical and domineering mind.
Delusions are unhealthful oldman you need to shed some.
..............Oldman`s 30 and 375 caliber world, revolves ONLY around the 300 H&H and the 375 H&H and the British rifles chambered for them....PERIOD!!!

Any other competative alternatives to him,,,,is either "OZ" or "fantasy land!" And he will always use the "proven track record" horsecrap and other ridiculous biased reasons to always try and prove his points.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What part of 270 TSX did you miss? Or do you have a double secret website Dean Wormer?

mine says 75 gr compressed gives 2465 @ 42.8K CUP.

the Hodgdon manuals are generic and not bullet specific.

think it's time for you to add one to the ignore list AMF
.......I will be "so honored" to be added or included on your ignore list!

You`re right! Hodgdon does list a max loading of 76 gr IMR 4350 @ the mid 2460 fps range for velocity using the 270 gr TSX out of a 24" barrel!

Gee `Ol Man!!! Time to maybe "upgrade" to a 375 Ruger??? I`m LMAO!!! Let`s see now! For the 375 Ruger in the Hodgdon manual, I read a max IMR 4350 loading of 83.0 gr (57,200 PSI) at a velocity of 2758 fps using a 270 gr Horn SP with a 24" barrel.

Interesting isn`t it, that in one of your posts above, you stated (I`m paraphrasing), that the H&H can do better than the 375 Ruger.....Hail to the British uh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What`s you`re next joke????!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
See you in Nairobi trying to buy ammo (LAFFIN)

done with this thread....too many adults with the ability to converse above the GED level.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See you in Nairobi trying to buy ammo (LAFFIN)

done with this thread....too many adults with the ability to converse above the GED level.

The previous post was sponsored in part by... douchebaggery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (1Longbow, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 29 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,654
Posts18,512,764
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.