Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been looking for a 404 Jeffery and now have possibly identified 4 - will need to do some checking. They are 2 Mauser Werke Obendorfs on Type A single square bridge action (c. 1930 & 1926), a Dale Goens built on an Interarms Whitworth Mauser action, and a W. J. Jeffery also on a standard Mauser action. Any preferences or ranking on most desirable one for a rifle to be used for DG?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the Goens....not because I have any experience with 404's ,but I do have experience with Goens rifles. I'm sure that it is well made,and that Mark X Mauser has been slicked up nicely....seen pics of the rifle.

Bet Caswell will send it out for you to look at.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do you want to use a scope or not? The Type A's sound nice, any photos? Are these the ones on Champlins site? In which case you wouldn't scope them!

Photos please! Cheers, Chris

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of the above will make a fine DGR. So long as the one you get fits you and will reliably feed the ammo you use you are looking at three terrific options.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm an old 404 buff, hunted with it extensively, used many differnt makes and models..My choice would be the Jefferys hands down as they had the specs right and it will function 110%..The other two Mausers are excellent choices I would think, but would have to inspect them first..

I would not opt for the Goens in a 404...It is a tricky round to make feed..Goens was a heck of a stock maker and a good smith, but I am not sure I would trust the gun without a lot of trying it out..I have seen so many custom 404 that worked 95% of the time.

Bottom line is be real careful when you buy a 404 on a standard action, to start with they just work better on a mag Mauser mod. 20 action or one of its clones. Jefferys disigned their Mauser around the 404 with a time and a lot of effort. Harold Wolfe has the original Jefferys spects and makes his own magazines for them so his guns in that caliber are the best of them all, and the most expensive of them all.

Thats my take on the subject, and based on owning and studying a lot on the 404 Jefferys, my favorite African caliber.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you kidding? Original Mauser Oberndorf sporters? I wouldn't look any farther. Are they magnums?

"To the contrary, we hunt not to kill. We kill to have hunted." Thanks Jose & JB
"I wouldn't venture out there fellas. This snipers got talent."
" I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
J
JJS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A 404 Jeffery in a Type A Mauser is about as cool as it gets, however, I think those two on Champlin's site were sold awhile back....I heard the same day he listed them. Unfortunately, Type As are collectors items these days and to scope them...that would not be good for value purposes.

If you are looking at spending that kind of money, you may want to explore the possibility of having one custom built to your specs...just a thought.

There was a very nice Hoffman 404 Jeffery on Hallowell's site, not sure if it is still there...

Last edited by JJS; 03/24/10.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Unfortunately sold while we were discussing it.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Have one built on a Mod 20 Mauser magnum action or one of its high dollar knockoffs at about $8000...Harold Wolfe can build you one for $12,000. and it will be the very best of the best.

If you want an inexpensive 404 then I suggest you find a Winchester mod. 70 CFR in one of the RUM calibers, its a big action built around the 404 case and is easily converted to the Jeffery's..Have it custom stocked or whatever you wish..Its a good route to take.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Ray, I have one of those M70 CRF RUMs put away for that reason but thought I could find a classic rifle instead. But it looks like I might have to go the build route after all.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want a classic, you'll never be truly happy with a modern one.

If I could find a classic Mauser actionned 416 Rigby that I wouldn't have to trade my kid for I'd be rid of my Ruger RSM in a heartbeat.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,174
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.