Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by yeselk
Since I was too stupid to get a job working for the state or federal govt, I suppose I'll be working till I fall over.

:>(

Yeah, its good to be the gumment

I didn't understand a word you said, but whatever it was I'm right there with you.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by arffdog875
I agree with steelhead, be self suffcient on a small acreage and live off the grid!

I already do. Not easy but nice being self-sufficient
Have chickens and a garden when the deer are not destroying it.
Wife works out of home and is going to nursing school
Looking forward to more travel already have worked in many different countries

www.1nwwd.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I retired as an LEO after 31 years. I worked in Afghanistan for 5 months and had to leave becuase of a blood clot. I am now looking for some part time work as we are barely making it on my retirement salary. I would love to live off the grid but my wife will not. I'm back in college working on a degree to start my second career at age 56. I don't see being retired as there are too many bills and too many taxes. The liberal left is stealing way too much from us, the dam dirty apes. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I made a "life decision" long ago. Men in my family are short lived, I had a heart attack at 31...managed to do well in the market and decided to retire at 37...paid everything off and decided to spend a few years doing what I wanted in the middle of my life, instead of at the end of it.

Mere words cannot come close to describing how thankful I am that I did that instead of waiting for I knew not what...

Ingwe

+1

My dad died at 58.
I'm 48 now, I've lived hard for many years.
I can retire in three years unless the US melts down completely.
My home & vehicles are paid for, I try to avoid credit.

I have a bunch of pins & plates in my left leg that slow me down a little now & am not real excited about another surgery to remove them but suppose I'll do that.
I just want to hunt & fish with my son as much as I can before he gets too busy to be with the old man.

So many folks make plans of a grandiose retirement only to find they don't have the health to pull it off, some never get there.

Proud NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
At the rate everything is going, I will work for the rest of my life.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by amax155
At the rate everything is going, I will work for the rest of my life.

Yep, me too. But this ain't new news. I've figured on same for about the past 5 years, and had it confirmed when my 401K turned into a 101K 18 months ago.

For reasons I don't care to get into here, I'm going to need to continue to generate my current level of income for a minimum of 15 more years, which means I can't even think of retiring until I'm 71. But my projections show the only way I can continue this level of earning is to either take my medical skills outside the CONUS & Canada (i.e., to "attractive" and more or less stable 3rd world countries, catering to the rich & elite), or taking up criminal activities of one type or another here in the USA, within 5 years or so.

At that point I might start fishing a little more. I guess we'll have to see how it turns out.

But retire as in totally retire... nope. Never gonna happen.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good topic and got me thinking.

I've decided to run for Congress and then ride the gravy train the rest of my life.

My platform will be based on a mandatory 4 day weekend and all kinds of free stuff for lots and lots of different sub-groups of citizens, or non-citizens, it don't matter. Figure to capture about 80% of the vote with that one. My first act as a duly elected official will be to raise my pay.

Can I count on y'all's votes?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd like to get a couple of chicks to double up on me when I retire.... and shooting, hunting, fishing and also having everyone leave me the [bleep] alone too.

Doveryai no Proveryai

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Build a cabin.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (257Bob, 163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 54 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.