Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
In preparation for my 2011 safari, I just picked up a .375 Model 70 to complement my .458.

Here's what the all around .375 softpoint has to do:

1. Weigh 300 grains. I'll take a few North Fork softpoints and want the softs to shoot to the same POI. I'll load them to 2500+ fps and, at about 3" high at 100 yards, they will be dead on at 200. Special sight-in for leopard, I suspect.

2. Kill a lion. Lions only weigh about 400 pounds but sometimes it's tough to penetrate them, I am told.

3. Kill a leopard. Leopards don't weigh much but you need accuracy for the first shot. You want to kill them DRT if possible (expansion).

3. Kill a buffalo if we chance upon one while hunting plains game.

4. Plains game for bait, etc.

So what are the choices?

1. Nosler partition, which I have used with good results in other calibers.

2. Nosler AccuBond. What's the difference between its performance and the Partition? Some recommend this one instead.

3. TSX: I have successfully used these in my .458. Are they too tough for use on leopard.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My choice of the ones mentioned--hands down would be the 270gr TSX pushed as fast as you can get it. Second choice 300r TSX. And they are NOT too tough for leopard use. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
JJS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My choice of the ones mentioned--hands down would be the 270gr TSX pushed as fast as you can get it. Second choice 300r TSX. And they are NOT too tough for leopard use. jorge

I agree with jorge.

I have used the 270 grain TSX, at nomial 2700 fps, from PG to Buff and it would be my first choice out of a 375....accuracy has been great as well. Second choice would be North Forks or the 300 grain TSX but I have not used either, as the 270 grain TSXs have worked great and see no reason to change.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have you considered the Swift A-Frame?

I have used them on leopard and buffalo, as well as plains game. They flat work.

Talking to a bunch of PHs, the only bullets that no one has had a bad word to say about were the A-Frames.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Hi IndyCA,

No, I haven't been to Africa... But, I do get obsessive-compulsive about playing with different bullets and loads. Others here can give you more experienced advice, but the really big thing I've learned is how different make bullets of the same weight,, and how the same make bullets of different weights, but same speeds, can have quite different POI, left and right. It has to do with what part of the bullet is touching the lands last... which has to do with bullet shape. There's also plenty to do with seating depth and how the front end greets the lands... much like hand placement on a football. Test and re-test!

I really like North Forks and if you're traveling all that way for a grand adventure, then a few bucks more should be worthy insurance. Here's what I posted on another Africa bullet forum:

The North Forks are a bit spendy,, but nothing compared to what one of my wooden arrows cost. These bullets aren't for everyday target shooting,, but I figure that for going all the way to have an incredible life experience/hunt, the cost of a pizza is all that we're really talking 'bout, and the payoff of bullet integrity and mass-shape retention is well worth it.

I went up to Philomath, here in Oregon, to pick up a box of .308's and got to learn about the metallurgy that goes into these bullets. Very impressive quality of materials and actual processing/heating-cooling, to produce a bullet that won't peel back, or come apart.

These bullets open at low impact velocities and maintain a relatively constant diameter and mass,, and hold together at higher velocities, where other bullets separate, or peel back.

Good shooting!... Ken

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI

+1..

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Often overlooked, the Speer 285gr Grand Slam has done well for many years.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As an Oregonian am I genetically programmed to respond "Nosler Partition." In this instance, as with beautiful women, genetic programming and common sense are in perfect agreement grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by McCray
Have you considered the Swift A-Frame?

I have used them on leopard and buffalo, as well as plains game. They flat work.

Talking to a bunch of PHs, the only bullets that no one has had a bad word to say about were the A-Frames.

I've used the A Frame on buffalo, both with the 375 & 416. Superb bullet as well. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is a great bullet for buffalo...VERY tough!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If I had to choose one for everything, it would be the 300 A-Frame...sooo...+1! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here are three recovered from Zebra(125yd) Eland (175) & Wildebeest (65). The last one is a 180 gr Hornady recovered from an impala at 80 yards,weight 78gr. There's a lesson in there somewhere....jorge

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jorge if you look closely at the bump on this Sable's shoulder, it is a 300 gr. Swift A-Frame that looked exactly like yours...weighed out at 96%... grin

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BUT, it did not exit. Me likey exit wounds so I still say 270TSX.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i would go with the tsx .iam no expert but been there twice and used them on a ton of stuff there .tough as hell!! kudu,gemsbok,blue wildbeast,impala,eland,lioness,zebra,blesbok all taken with 375 h&h tsx 235 gn at 2900 fps a little light for buff though? good luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TSX.

As for Leopard - shoot far enough north.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Indy,

I have had great success with 300gr Trophy Bonded softs as loaded in the Federal standard velocity factory load. Vey, very accurate in my rifle. So accutate that after trying them I gave up reloading softs for the 375H&H and only load my own solids.

The Trohy Bonded works very well for all sizes of game. I have talen impala and bushbuck up through eland with them, and they have worked equally well at each end of the spectrum and everywhere in between.

I have recovered three, iirc, one from and eland that I spined, one from under the skin on the offside shoulder of a wildebeast and one from a waterbuck. The rest exited, again iirc, and that would be a whole lot that exited. The three recovered bullets all look like they belong in a mgazine add, perfectly mushroomed, with four petals and lead intact.

I would highlt recomend the 300gr Trophy Bonded softs.

Another bullet you ought to consider is the North Fork soft. I haven't tried them but those who have used them report excellent accuracy and phenominal performance on all game.

The one advantage to the Federal factory 300gr Trophy Bonded load is that they are available fairly widely in Zimbabwe in gunshops and amoungst PH's should you find yourself needing additional or replacement ammunition. I have, on two occations, "borrowed" a box when, on extended trips. I was running low. 11lbs of ammo just isn't always enough, even when it makes the trip and doesn't go missing enroute.

Solids are a good idea too. I have used 300gr Woodleighs, but if your rifle will feed the NF's that would be my choice. I shot the Woodleighs into a dead elephant skull to check penetration, and it was sufficient, but you know I like the NF's. I used a Woodleigh as first choice on a grysbok to avoid blowing the little critter to pieces, and when running low on softs I have used them on impala for cat bait. While not prefferred, they will do the job should you need them.

JPK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to beat the Nosler Partition or Swift A Frame. I have used both with great success. I just can't get the TSX to shoot out of my .375. Wish I could!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
Jorge if you look closely at the bump on this Sable's shoulder, it is a 300 gr. Swift A-Frame that looked exactly like yours...weighed out at 96%... grin

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

What rifle/scope combination is that? Thanks.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Check out the North Fork site and see how the bullet of your caliber choice performs at different velocities. These bullets are essentially a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. You'll notice that they have a good, wide metplat at all velocities and retain a long, massive shank, which keeps them plowing through, straight.

http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,343
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.