Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
There I am, concentrating on holding and squeezing, and I peek a look at the group. Next shot is a flyer, in this case the last one. blush

Of course you guys NEVER do that! wink

I was testing a new LBT "authentic" Keith .44 bullet cast from wheelweights. Federal brass, Remington primers and 8.5 grains Unique. It appears to be the load.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These days I do it more often than I don't. I just ain't as good as I used to be...but I cheat real good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice handles on the Mountain Gun.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What I rarely do is put all my bullets in the same hole or close to it. I don't know why you would want to do that. I usually have mine spread around the paper so they are easier to count. But, to each his own.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Nice handles on the Mountain Gun.

Agreed! Very nice looking piece.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I tend to shoot "patterns" these days instead of groups. So I will not be the one tossing the first rock.

Great looking mountain gun BTW.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There is what I have observed in both my own shooting (if I don't concentrate) and others what I call "Last Shot Syndrome". It is basically failing to follow through the exact same as the previous number of shots. This happens a lot with shooters who count their shots as they are firing. If you have a revolver and always know when the sixth shot is going to go off, that will usually be the one that you don't follow through correctly on. This will cause that last shot to fall outside the group.

Then there is the case like Ky's when you see you have a great group going and just so "want" to get that last one in there that you "will" the bullet out of the group. I try and not look at my group as I am shooting and stay focused on the front sight...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
What I rarely do is put all my bullets in the same hole or close to it. I don't know why you would want to do that. I usually have mine spread around the paper so they are easier to count. But, to each his own.

You can always fire one shot and call it a ten shot group! cool

Those are my new Herrets Jordan Trooper stocks. They really do make lightweight .44s easier to shoot. I have better photos of them which I will submit.

Last edited by KyWindageII; 03/27/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KyWindageII

Now you are talking like Oldmaam. lol

Is that Mountain Gun a special run or did the finish come like that?

Last edited by ColeYounger; 03/27/10.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Got a pic of that bullet?

I assume he used a round grease groove?

Nice shooting! grin

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
[/quote]

Is that Mountain Gun a special run or did the finish come like that? [/quote]

That Smith & Wesson is a 629-2, the original Mountain Revolver of 1989. That is the original finish. I purchased it new in 1990. It had Pachmayr Gripper Grips on it and was terrible to shoot with full loads. I replaced them with Hogues which were a little better, but the recently purchased Jordan Troopers allow me to shoot it at least 50 rounds with full loads.

While it is a weaker gun than the later MGs, I think I like it a bit better.

Last edited by KyWindageII; 03/27/10. Reason: Comment Added
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]
Is that Mountain Gun a special run or did the finish come like that? [/quote]
That is a "Mountain Revolver", a model 629-2, that came with the sandblasted finish, chamfered cyl and rollmarked barrel instead of laser engraved, which came out on the "Mountain Gun" in about 1990 with the 629-3 version. If memory serves, only 2,532 of that particular version (629-2) was made.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by HawkI
Got a pic of that bullet?

I assume he used a round grease groove?

Nice shooting! grin

HawkI, no photos of the bullet at present but I will take some plus one of the mould blocks. Veral Smith of LBT claims to have copied an original Keith bullet with square grease groove and equal width driving bands. Cast from Wheelweights it weighs 252 grains.

It certainly is accurate!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by KyWindageII

Those are my new Herrets Jordan Trooper stocks. They really do make lightweight .44s easier to shoot. I have better photos of them which I will submit.

Hey that sounds like a great idea. Truth be told I wish I could shoot that well.

How are the Jordan Trooper stock for taming recoil?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Why do you call it a Mountain Gun?

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
Why do you call it a Mountain Gun?

That's its name. That's the nickname Smith and Wesson came out with themselves for their run of 629's with light barrels (leftover from the 624 .44 Spec., IIRC), beveled cylinders, round butt and maybe some other stuff. They proved fairly popular and have since been made in other calibers such as 45 Colt, 41 Mag., and 45 ACP, probably about in that order of units produced. Basically they are a gun made for much carrying and not a lot of shooting. They are very nice with cowboy action type loads and can have some nasty recoil with the heavy stuff, but are very effective for carrying in thick stuff and defending oneself against toothy and clawwy type critters that take exception to one being on their turf. Some have adopted them for LE and CCW use too, though they are pretty big if you truly need one concealed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Hogues better than Pachmayers on Smiths too.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 03/27/10.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I too have a Mountain Gun in .44 mag, and my favorite "all around" load for it is a 240 gr hardcast SWC, Keith Style that I buy commercially made. I load it with 8.5 gr of Unique as well and have found it to put a hole in most anything I shoot it at! It is also an accurate load for me.

I took the original grips off, and tried Hogues, but they didn't feel right when shooting stiff loads. I'm now using a pair of Ahrends fingered combat grips on it and like them a lot!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've tried probably a half dozen or more grips for my old Smith 29 since I bought it "67". At present, I find the Pacmeyer "decelerator" style grips, the ones with the layer of rubber over the rear of the grip to be the most recoil tolerant. Not quite the best for fast hip shooting, but still usable for that as well.
The funny thing is they don't feel quite right. Don't seem to give that feeling that the gun is an extension of your arm quite as much as the others I've tried. But shooting some on other guy's Smith convinced me to try them. They work ! If you insist on shooting full power ammo in your Smith 29, that is the way to go. E

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
when i'm out with my friends sighting in guns.I won't tell them where they hit in between shots as to try to make them aim at same point every shot.I've discovered if the shooter knows where the last one hit he tries to compensate and it makes it alot harder to adjust sights or scope if not at same aimpoint

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,871
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.