I just purchased a new Remington model 597 in .22LR at the gun show this past weekend. It has the heavy target barrel and laminated stock. It is very well put together and came with scope mounts but no sights. I installed a 3x9 scope on it for testing and shot it Sunday. I did not get a chance to really wring it out but I did sight it in and shoot about 50 rounds of Federal HP's through it. I was really impressed with the accuracy. It produced one ragged hole at 50 yards with 10 shots. I spent the rest of the time shooting pop bottle tops at 50 yards. I do wish the trigger was lighter but dont we all on factory guns. I didn't notice any creep or overtravel. The trigger was very crisp. Has anyone had any experience with this rifle? I wonder if the trigger can be lightened up by a competent smith? I plan on using this rifle as a squirrel gun since we have an overpopulation of them and they have now given us a spring season also. I gave $200 for it new and in the box with paper work / warranty etc..Was this a good deal? HOSS