-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my very first elk hunt in I-dee-ho I hunted on foot right behind camp on opening day. I walked in about a mile off the road to "get away" from people and ATVs. An hour into the hunt an ATV rode right past me on what I considered a foot path. This trail was only a couple hundred yards down the road from our camp, so it was obvious that anybody going down the trail would be hunting right behind my camp. The rider never saw me standing in the brush next to the trail. So I wandered farther back from the road to get farther away. An hour later here comes the rider walking through the woods right toward me.

I saw this schmo and his friend a couple days later sitting in their camp playing cards and drinking beer. I told him I was the guy he walked up on opening day. He said he didn't think anybody was hunting there because there wasn't a "rig" parked at the entrance to the trail, so he continued on down the trail. I refrained from telling him what I thought of him and his !@#$ ATV.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
We use a 700 grizzly and 450 rhino for hunting mule deer and elk, HOWEVER! We only use them once we have taken an animal to bring them back, otherwise they stay dormant at the camp. We also swap in silencers on them, which work well to the point of you can pretty much only hear the tire-ground noise from a distance. We don't want to scare other hunters game away.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The "hunting" partner of the guy I posted about previously "hunted" by riding his ATV on the trails with his rifle perched on the handlebars, loaded and not in a case. Where I'm from if he was caught like that he would lose the rifle, the ATV, get a hefty fine, and possibly spend some time in jail and lose his "hunting" priviledges for a few years.

By the time we left camp we pretty-much figured out where the elk were hiding. There is no way in he!! those buttheads were going to get their ATVs in to where those elk were.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Since I no where you were at and where the Elk used to stay around there,your right..No ATV could ever get down into that hole and most hunters wouldn't either.That's why there, there, or were.

Without a handicapped permit,it is unlawful in Idaho to do what you said they were but with a permit,it is within the law for the handicapped.They fine pretty heavy for a rifle loaded on an ATV but it happens all the time,I'm sure.

Also,like others have said,the Elk get used to ATV's/Trucks/Logging trucks and equipment and even shooting ranges and sometime hang real close to these area's and live long lives.

ATV's are a part of hunting now whether people like it or not as were the old Tote Goat/Honda 90 and Yamaha 80's of old.If used properly,there not a threat to anyone's hunting but like anything else,if abused,they hurt everyone.

Jayco

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Big redhead, I understand your grief, however you fail to mention if the trail was open or closed to atv's. If closed, then yes those guys need their butts chewed. If open, I always figure they have as much right there as the next guy. It also doesnt matter that the trail was only a couple hundred yards behind your camp, everyone has the right to hunt there.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if the trail was open to ATV traffic or not. It was a narrow, grown-over two track off the main road, and it lead right behind our tent camp.

Yeah, I know they have the "right" to be there, but there is such a thing as common courtesy. If I go into a public place where I have the "right" to hunt, and I encounter another hunter or his camp, I leave that place and go somewhere else. He got there before me, so it is 'his' spot on that day.

Logcutter and others have posted the truth. It's not the ATV, but the person controlling it, and his/her sense of courtesy and willingness to abide by the law. I guess common courtesy is not so common any more.

One day we went down the road to where the stream emptied out of that hole mentioned by logcutter and flowed under a bridge. We talked to a fellow hunter there and he had the same complaint (he also had a beautiful Dakota 76 rifle smile ). He walked up a trail that lead to a high place where he had hunted elk successfully in the past. The trail was blocked and a sign stated 'no motorized vehicles.' When he got near the top he heard an ATV coming up from the rear. The ATV whizzed past him closely and continued up the restricted trail like he had the 'right' to be there. The guy on the ATV has no regard for the sport, the law, the game animals, or other people.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
"ATV Elk Hunting Ethics".. what a perfect oxymoron.

In Montana, I've never seen any public land that provides any remote level of a quality elk hunting experience where ATVs are allowed at all. However, for selfish reasons, I'm glad so many elk hunters like to use them where they can.

And yes, I own one.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
I don't know if the trail was open to ATV traffic or not. It was a narrow, grown-over two track off the main road, and it lead right behind our tent camp.

Yeah, I know they have the "right" to be there, but there is such a thing as common courtesy. If I go into a public place where I have the "right" to hunt, and I encounter another hunter or his camp, I leave that place and go somewhere else. He got there before me, so it is 'his' spot on that day.

Logcutter and others have posted the truth. It's not the ATV, but the person controlling it, and his/her sense of courtesy and willingness to abide by the law. I guess common courtesy is not so common any more.

One day we went down the road to where the stream emptied out of that hole mentioned by logcutter and flowed under a bridge. We talked to a fellow hunter there and he had the same complaint (he also had a beautiful Dakota 76 rifle smile ). He walked up a trail that lead to a high place where he had hunted elk successfully in the past. The trail was blocked and a sign stated 'no motorized vehicles.' When he got near the top he heard an ATV coming up from the rear. The ATV whizzed past him closely and continued up the restricted trail like he had the 'right' to be there. The guy on the ATV has no regard for the sport, the law, the game animals, or other people.

The other thing that comes up here... we camp at the end of a road where it turns to wilderness. I wouldn't and don't expect that since my tent is there before others, that no one else can walk into the wilderness to hunt....

And if we camped further down the road(more a rough trail really) as we have before then I certainly expect folks to drive by our camp as we've set the tent 50 feet from the road.

Using a camp to block off a trail to reserve it for your hunting area, IMHO, is not a considerate thing to do.

And I'm not saying thats what you did, I'm just commenting.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own an ATV. It's my means of transportation to get to where I start hunting. My hunt doesn't start until I stop, turn off the ATV, grab my gear and start walking. I keep my gun in a hard case mouted on the rear and not on the handlebars. I want to earn the animal that I choose to shoot. Two years ago in the area we hunted in I put more miles on my boots than I did the ATV. The area we hunted was only 1 1/2 miles from camp and everyone else road hunting buzzed right past a prime area that held a lot of mule deer bucks. They actually pushed them into our area.

fish head

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
The guy who went past the no motorized vehicle sign was an exception, and not the law. My self and many others I know love to use our atv's to hunt. Not to hunt off of, but to get to where we hunt. If a trail or road is closed to us, we don't use it. But to blame all atv's or all atv riders is just as wrong as the people doing the stupid things.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
""The guy who went past the no motorized vehicle sign was an exception""

That sure isn't the case here in CO.If the ATVers can navigate it they go in.Legal or not. Precisely the reason so many trails are being closed to them.

Some guys state that they park the ATV and thier hunting begins there,which is great,but too many think thier hunting begins two or three miles further in than where that particular guy parked his

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One other thing, I'm not sure I've ever seen an ATV parked anywhere other than someone's camp. Nevers seen one on a trail head, side of a road or whatever. I think they become crutches for too many guys who refuse to leave them behind and really hunt.
More power to the guys who stay on them and out of where I hunt, but we know dang well may of them are used inappropriately. I don't know what percentage, but obviously enough to rile us all up.
Also, I know which trails are open to motorized vehicles and stay well away from them.
Sometimes I am a little jealous and would like be able to take those trails without working up much of sweat when scouting, but I know dang well that the elk and deer won't want to be anywhere near those spots come hunting season.
And for those who are handicapped and would like to be able to hunt the wilderness. Tough [bleep]. We aren't taking opportunities away from you, you are taking wilderness away from us by taking a vehicle in there. Take a horse, or have a sherpa carry you if you really want to go there. But you have other options, stick to those places where ATVs are allowed on the trails.
Nature doesn't make accomadations for the handicapped, overweight, hungover or lazy. The federal government does make provisions for handicapped, and the Forest Service has areas where you are able to recreate legally, but by insisting that you should be allowed in a wilderness area with an ATV is to rob others of a quality experience. I hunt wilderness in order to escape those areas and to hunt less pressured animals. It's not for everyone, never was meant to be.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by exbiologist
And for those who are handicapped and would like to be able to hunt the wilderness. Tough [bleep]. We aren't taking opportunities away from you, you are taking wilderness away from us by taking a vehicle in there. Take a horse, or have a sherpa carry you if you really want to go there. But you have other options, stick to those places where ATVs are allowed on the trails.
Nature doesn't make accommodations for the handicapped, overweight, hungover or lazy. The federal government does make provisions for handicapped, and the Forest Service has areas where you are able to recreate legally, but by insisting that you should be allowed in a wilderness area with an ATV is to rob others of a quality experience. I hunt wilderness in order to escape those areas and to hunt less pressured animals. It's not for everyone, never was meant to be.

You got a lot of [bleep]. Telling me that I can not use an area because of a handicap. Did you pay for that area?? NO. I do not think so. Yet you feel you have the right to tell everyone how it should be utilized!! That sounds like a card carrying LIBERAL to me. My tax dollars pay just as much for that area as yours do. But far be it for me to spoil it for you?? Well who the hell are you?? You definitely speak like a card carrying LIBERAL. Let the rich pay, and let me regulate how it is used!! Well BS to you.

You sound just like Bill Clinton who went in and shut down the Forest Service roads and tore out the Forest Service bridges. You sound just like Clinton who changed the status of the land to certain "Park" status where hunting is not allowed at all. You sound like Obama who says one thing but with a stroke of a pen wants to regulate how we do things. I sure hope your ideas never take root. Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 04/01/10.

West By God Virginia
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I typed "ATV+Elk+Hunting+Ethics" into Google and got back:

"DOES NOT COMPUTE!"

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by exbiologist
One other thing, I'm not sure I've ever seen an ATV parked anywhere other than someone's camp. Nevers seen one on a trail head, side of a road or whatever. I think they become crutches for too many guys who refuse to leave them behind and really hunt.
More power to the guys who stay on them and out of where I hunt, but we know dang well may of them are used inappropriately. I don't know what percentage, but obviously enough to rile us all up.
Also, I know which trails are open to motorized vehicles and stay well away from them.
Sometimes I am a little jealous and would like be able to take those trails without working up much of sweat when scouting, but I know dang well that the elk and deer won't want to be anywhere near those spots come hunting season.
Nature doesn't make accomadations for the handicapped, overweight, hungover or lazy. The federal government does make provisions for handicapped, and the Forest Service has areas where you are able to recreate legally, but by insisting that you should be allowed in a wilderness area with an ATV is to rob others of a quality experience. I hunt wilderness in order to escape those areas and to hunt less pressured animals. It's not for everyone, never was meant to be.

One of my elk honeyholes, where there were ALWAYS elk, was right under an ATV trail next to a roadless wilderness area (John Day Wilderness, NE Oregon).

It is one hell of a "hole", and the ATV guys are, to a man, skeered to drop into it sans vehicle. The presence of the ATV trail skeeres off most of the good, salt of the earth, God-fearing intelligent NON-ATV guys <evil grin>, so the result is a couple square miles for the elk to hole up in. And they do.

I guess my point is, sometimes there's a play to be had off of the ATV guys.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot several elk as the result of ATV riders pushing elk over us. We hiked our arses up a ridge one morning and could see for miles. About first light On opening morning all the riders started hitting the roads. The elk all ran hard as they could straight up the south side of the mountain to go through the saddle and hit the dark timber. We zapped 2.

That said, I now hunt as far away from them as I can get.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I enjoy riding my ATV. But the area I hunt closed to all wheeled vehicles in 1983, I tried hiking in for 10 years and finally bought horses so I could continue to hunt that area.

I used my ATV a LOT for my desert Bighorn hunt, And helping a good friend with his Rocky. So I'm not opposed to their use.

I am opposed to ATV users who don't obey the rules. If the land is closed to ATV traffic. They should obey those rules. If I have to go to the trouble to own and raise horses so I can access remote areas. Why shouldn't the ATV owner? It frustrates me to pack 7 miles in from a trailhead. To hike another couple miles and then have an ATV come driving down a ridge line.

I'm sorry for those who are handicapped. Life is not fair. At some point, ALL of US will cross that point and not be able to do the things we previously enjoyed. Whether it's arthritis, heart problems, lung problems or tramatic injury, none of us are immortal. And developing a health problem doesn't mean we should have special privledges at the cost of the rest of the population. We enjoy the wilderness as long as we can. Then we have to adjust our life style to cope with our problems. If that means no hiking and using ATVs, It also means obeying the rules and staying on approved trails.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Telling me that I can not use an area because of a handicap. [/quote]

He didn't say you couldn't use the area. You can. Just not with an ATV.

One day when I'm old and decrepit and restricted to hunting whitetails from a box, I'll smile knowing somewhere out there in the high country is young stud with a sturdy pair of boots, spending the night wrapped in a poncho while real honest to God WILD elk bugle in the distance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LeosRedFox and Jraw, those are two most excellent posts.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In my area, I don't think I guy could go 5ft with an ATV off a logging road, without getting stuck.

I have an ATV, and it's great for getting down old aldered, washed out logging roads that vehicles can't fit down anymore. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the truck too.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 2500HD, 11 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.