Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
My son just arrived at his new duty station in Fairbanks, AL. I'm wondering if anyone has been there? Looking to do some fishing or hunting while visiting him. Any suggestions?

William Clunie
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi William
First thing, it is AK, not AL..... wink
I will leave it to Randy to help with the fishing/hunting suggestions, there are lots of opportunities in the area.

But too cold for me! Although this past week they have ben warmer than us here at home.

Is your son Army or the blue branch?

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by kid0917
Hi William
First thing, it is AK, not AL..... wink
I will leave it to Randy to help with the fishing/hunting suggestions, there are lots of opportunities in the area.

But too cold for me! Although this past week they have ben warmer than us here at home.

Is your son Army or the blue branch?

Right. AK it is. My son is Army Green. He done with two tour in Iraq and ready to enjoy AK. I'm thinking that as next of kin I can hunt without the high cost of a guide? I'll check with the AK fish and game website.

Thanks,

PS: Randy Who?

William Clunie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1akhunter.... he will give you a hand soon, I am sure..

I think res. requirement is one year (it is for civilians).

You will get some help from a number of AK posters here, be sure to thank your son for his service from us; better yet, get him signed up as a poster here!

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by kid0917
1akhunter.... he will give you a hand soon, I am sure..

I think res. requirement is one year (it is for civilians).

You will get some help from a number of AK posters here, be sure to thank your son for his service from us; better yet, get him signed up as a poster here!

Thank you kindly. I'm very proud of his service. As a military member, he's followed his dad, grandparents, uncles, etc. and done well. My daughter also served with the AF, supporting the 101st when they initially rolled through Bagdad. She's out now. Very proud of her service also. I'm lucky to have such wonderful kids.

I want to get up to AK and help make some memorable hunts/fishing trips with my son. It's a once in a lifetime chance and I'd like to make the best of it. I'm also an outdoor writer and will surely have plenty of experiences to write about from these adventures.

William Clunie
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mr. clunie,
Page 11 of AK regs states your son "......... may obtain a special military hunting license at the resident rate."
Greatly appreciate his service to our country!
Best Wishes

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WindWalker
Mr. clunie,
Page 11 of AK regs states your son "......... may obtain a special military hunting license at the resident rate."
Best Wishes

I noticed that. I'm hoping to avoid expensive guide fees as next of kin also. Should be able to afford some great hunting. Never thought I could do this before -- now Alaska seems do-able! I am PSYCHED! Thanks for your kind words.

William Clunie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i was stationed in fairbanks to.....com'in on 30 years ago... and i'm still here, your son is in ALASKA (and not a 2hr drive from it) like other parts of the state wink! lots of fish'in and hunt'in to be had...drive 15 mins from town and u will be in "no where" smile

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by william clunie
Originally Posted by WindWalker
Mr. clunie,
Best Wishes

I noticed that. I'm hoping to avoid expensive guide fees as next of kin also. Should be able to afford some great hunting. Never thought I could do this before -- now Alaska seems do-able! I am PSYCHED! Thanks for your kind words.

The only animals you need a guide for as a non-resident under any circumstances are grizzly/brown bear, Dall sheep and mountain goat. You can hunt caribou, moose, Sitka blacktailed deer, black bears and others all by yourself, if you choose to. You and your son can have a great time this fall (starting in August), and as soon as he has Alaska status he can take you brown bear, Dall sheep and mountain goat hunting. It won't change your non-resident tag cost, of course... grin. But relative to many states we are quite inexpensive.

Come visit more than "once in a lifetime", though. Being here is a "lifetime", not just a piece of it... smile.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't take this as certifiable fact, but I suspect your son will may obtain a special military hunting license at the resident rate which is just a show of appreciation from the state for his service.

For you to benefit as "next of kin" to avoid the guide requirement for sheep, goat and brown bear, he would have to be a legal resident, not just paying resident rate on the licenses. You would still need to purchase a license at non-res rate.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if he goes about 30 degrees of North from the Fairbanks International Airport about 15 or so miles there is a bump in the Tundra, its were we go to do confined area work in Helicopters. Back in the day when Tundra Helicopters was still in business. There is a stream full of rainbows and grayling. And there is always moose hanging around. Should help in getting and Idea of where to go, all he needs is a map.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might be a great place to go hunting. After making sure that the area is open to non-resident hunting, and that there are still moose there. And that you can fly in on a fixed-wing aircraft -- can't hunt out of helicopters.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know you can't hunt out of helicopters and I just was able to fish the creek and saw moose dam near ever time out there. Just a though, Alaska is a huge place, just a spot to look at. I would never suggest doing illegal. ATV's go out there, so its accessable then again its been a few years too. I am sure that the Fairbanks guys will take care of the young man.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
William,

Glad to have your son up here.....I hope you can come up to visit him.....give me a call if you do.....he's in a good location to launch off into the various hunting opportunities. Haul Road, Delta, Forty Mile and several good rivers.....lotsa fun.

Fishing in that area is so-so......but the Fairbanks Airport launches me off to Baja

You didn't mention if your son was bringing a woman with him....it could be a good thing to do.....1Ak has the pretty ones corraled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
William, the way I understand it , your son must live in AK for 1 full year and then file for residency after he has become a permenent resident is when you next of kin would kick in. As stated above you only need a guide for Griz, Goats and Sheep . I know you're a moose guy in Maine so you can hunt moose right now in AK without a guide as well as bou and blackbear and deer . Just bear in mind getting into good country is still expensive even for residents.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks all,
My son is going to be stationed right on post with his wife. They're having my first blood grandchild in August. He's headed for Afganistan in about one year. I will be doing some fishing and moose hunting with him this fall. What's the best time to fish in his area of the state? When do the moose go in rut?

William Clunie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Moose start rutting about September 10th.....salmon in that area nearly spent.....Delta Clearwater, by my house, will have a lot of silvers of poor quality but still can be fun to catch. Grayling and pike will still be biting. Good luck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's fun to head up to the Sag River around Labor Day and see if you can hit the char run, along with a stop by Pump Station 5 to take a few grayling out of the Jim River. Unless they've changed the regs, the salmon in the Chena were out of bounds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mesabi
It's fun to head up to the Sag River around Labor Day and see if you can hit the char run, along with a stop by Pump Station 5 to take a few grayling out of the Jim River. Unless they've changed the regs, the salmon in the Chena were out of bounds.

Don't even think of taking the Dalton north that time of year. You're not gonna have enough gear in case you run into a problem. The only help/gas you can find between Livengood & Prudhoe is Coldfoot should you have vehicle problems. Weather can be very bad - the north side of the Brooks makes its own weather. If it's rainy/snowy the road can be a quagmire and the rigs running the road don't slow down much.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geez, Bear! That's what made it fun! (Although there was some pucker involved at the Atigun.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (Akhutr, 35, 338reddog, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,876
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.