Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Let me be very clear about my intentions of posting this first. I believe these statements by a well-known gunsmith to be false, but I've been asked to go on a fact-finding mission, so that's what I'm doing.

Apparently, there's a well-known smith that claims that he has several McMillan stocks breaking in cold weather, where temperatures dropped below 28 degrees. He also claims that they are shifting POI between outings, due to stock warp.

Personally, I've never heard of such outlandish claims before in regards to any of the top-end custom composite stock manufacturers, let alone McMillan.

So, my question is, amongst this vast group of McMillan users, are there any of you that have had anything that remotely resembled what this man is claiming?

If you don't feel like sharing it on this thread, feel free to PM me and I will keep it to myself.

I hate to see an unfounded rumor mill going around about a company that has been producing a top quality product, so here's your chance to chime in.

I would like those that comment on this thread to actually own a McMillan or have owned a McMillan.

Tell us how many you have, what kinds, for how long and what types of weather conditions you've used them in.

Lets set the record straight.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two McM stocks. Both are the Hunters Edge stocks and are currently on: 1. Remington 700 L/A in 30/06, 2. Remington 700S/A in 7/08. To date no problems like you discribe. Both rifles are hunting guns and both have been in cold weather. Also, both stocks are only three years old

Doug

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
No problems

3 McMillans all standard fill. oldest 4 years, newest 2 years. Used many days below 28F, a few days below zero. No problems with strength or warping.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This should get lively!

Who's stock does this famous gunsmith use/recommend?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
He's claiming that a standard claro or English walnut is a superior stock.....I know I know.

I normally wouldn't even bother asking, but this guy has been around a long time and the customer that is asking has been buying from me for nearly 20 years.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've only seen one high quality synthetic stock spilt, but that was bedding problem with the tang on a 98 Mauser and not related to weather. I've never noticed a poi shift due to cold weather with any of the synthetic stocks that I have used in such weather (including a couple of McMillans). However, I have never used an edge stock.

Personally, I prefer a wood stocked rifle but synthetics do have their place and uses.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've hunted with McMillan stocked rifles at minus 28 Celsius(you do the math!),without a hitch and wouldn't expect any problems.I think this unnamed gunsmith is blowing smoke.I also have friends who have used their Mickey stocked rifle during the Xmas bison hunt in Northern BC with no problems.That would be in minus 40F. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by triggerguard1

Apparently, there's a well-known smith that claims that he has several McMillan stocks breaking in cold weather, where temperatures dropped below 28 degrees. He also claims that they are shifting POI between outings, due to stock warp.

I think he's as full of [bleep] as a X-mas goose.

I've got a couple on coyote rifles from the early 90's that seem to be still working just fine.

And 27 degrees ain't cold yet......

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I agree wholeheartedly and expressed my thoughts and experiences with McMillan stocks as well, but he apparently wanted to hear this info from more folks than just me.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a McMillan on a 338mag, hunted with it in the snow in CO, and the plains of WY, hot and cold, no problems, no loss of accuracy. Over 10 years old.

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have 7 rifles with McMillan's and have NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM with them PERIOD.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im probably one of the few who has actually broken a McMillan. I took a pretty good fall last spring shooting/hunting bears. My rifle was strapped to my pack and I fell with all my weight really hard on the rifle. The forend of the stock landed on a rock with me right on top. It cracked the forend of the stock at the action screw. It took one hell of a impact to crack that stock. When I was looking over the stock I pulled it to the side and it broke the rest of the way. The impact was so hard it bent the action screw, forced the bolt open and broke the little plunger on the model 70 that holds it shut. I'm pretty sure I would have broken some bones had I fell to the other side.

Now the best part. I called McMillan and they said send it back. Even though it was all my fault it broke. The next week I had a replacement. I have had about 10 McM now with no problems. I shoot and hunt well below zero on up to above 100 degrees. I have never had a problem with warping, breaking, cracking, etc. In my opinion there is no better stock maker out there.

On a side note my Williams trigger guard stood up to it as well. Just a small mark where it hit the ground.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd be interested to hear what McMillan has to say about these "claims". Have they heard of them?
I am reluctant to take the claims of defects as gospel until I hear what the maker says about it. Surely if someone has had a kevlar/graphite/fiberglass stock break because it was cold, or McMillan has invented a synthetic stock that changes poi, they would have something to say about it. Just from the little I've dealt with Ryan, I'd believe what he says about this.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've hunted with them in temps from -10*F to +90*F without issue.
it's kinda rocky & icy here and mine have taken a beating. they really are (nearly) indestructible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matt, you should really disclose the gunsmith. If he really feels this way there should be no issue with you giving his name.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was out in -15 degrees checking out some reloads with a #1 contoured, SS barreled 30 06 in a Mcmillan stock. At the shot the barrel burst. I dropped the rifle and the Mcmillan broke at the wrist. Also the floor plate popped open.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by FVA
I was out in -15 degrees checking out some reloads with a #1 contoured, SS barreled 30 06 in a Mcmillan stock. At the shot the barrel burst. I dropped the rifle and the Mcmillan broke at the wrist. Also the floor plate popped open.

How's your scope?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Originally Posted by FVA

How's your scope?

The scope had a canted reticle and I was checking it out when I inadvertently knocked off the safety and the rifle AD'd.....with a cold chamber.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
LOL.....Nice

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bxroads
Matt, you should really disclose the gunsmith. If he really feels this way there should be no issue with you giving his name.

I may, but I'm also wanting to hear his side of the story as well. While I put a lot of faith in my customer, I'd like to hear this guy's version of the story.

I'll probably be in touch with Dick Davis over this too, since they apparently, or at least should, know each other.

Nothing I'm hearing so far surprises me any, except for the cold chamber discharge.....(grin)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,282
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.