GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 32nd year as a meatcutter.
My choice?
Victornox/Forschner 6" straight blade.

[Linked Image]

Under 20 bucks each.
I caped & boned out 4 caribou bulls on the Alaskan tundra with one twenty dollar knife and didn't wish for more.
A good steel keeps your edge straight, & will get you through hundreds of pound of meat.
Spend the big bucks if you got it to burn...or not.

Proud NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My favorite knife is the one in the front of this picture.Custom made by a good friend of mine.Makes em in his garage..Commercial knife is ( how old ?? ) LOL its a oldy but a goody !!dont see to many of them anymore..but IMO..best knife by factory.

Attached Images
Custom 001.JPG (78.44 KB, 343 downloads)

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Great blades folks...appreciate everyone sharing!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by humdinger

RR,
I think we have the same western knife, but yours looks lilke it has been sharpened quite a bit! I got mine when I was 12 (long time ago) and we used to split the pelvis bone on deer and I started a quest for a heavier knife. Wound up with a buck vanguard, now I have a barkriver gameskeeper (too heavy & big, problem with buying off internet...) and waiting to try a barkriver canadian special.
Now that I have a sagan saw for splitting, I should go back to my western knife.

I think I bought that knife when I was about 15, so 30 years ago shocked and I have put a few stones to it over the years. grin It has never failed me yet! Great little knife, I also carry a Buck Goliath folder in my backpack or truck at all times as well as my leatherman.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gene Ingram- Slim-S30V

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
My choice?

[Linked Image]

Under 20 bucks each.
I caped & boned out 4 caribou bulls on the Alaskan tundra with one twenty dollar knife and didn't wish for more.
A good steel keeps your edge straight, & will get you through hundreds of pound of meat.

Lot of nice knives in this thread but this post covers what a guy really needs.
I have always cut/ground my own critters plus some for friends and family, and a 6" straight blade Forschner is in my hand every year. thTR Along with a 10"er to cut steaks with.
I have carried a old Buck 110 that has 440C steel to gut with for about 30 years now. Occasionally a old Gerber folding hunter for deer as it's plenty of knife for that, but it has no where near the edge holding ability of those old Buck's.

I am no pro for sure, but figure I have boned, and butchered around 200 game animals using Forschner's well over 95% of the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperSeal110
Gene Ingram- Slim-S30V

[Linked Image]

Whats the handle on that one? I been looking at Ingrams for a while on-line. I'll likely be ordering one by the end of summer.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rodngun
My favorite knife is the one in the front of this picture.Custom made by a good friend of mine.Makes em in his garage..Commercial knife is ( how old ?? ) LOL its a oldy but a goody !!dont see to many of them anymore..but IMO..best knife by factory.

Rod,

That commercial looks like a Scharade "oldtimer".

Excellent & functional knife.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
California buckeye burl.

I lost this knife for about 2.5 months in the snow/rain this winter. Found it two weeks ago and the knife didn't have any rust. The grips were pretty swallon/over sized. I spoke with Gene about the situation and he told me to ship it back and he'd see what he could do. Less then a week, it's back in my hands looking brand new. Excellent CS!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Salmonella and 700LH Forschner/ Victornox are the way to go. I started using them over 20 years ago, after my friend taught me how butcher my first elk. He taught me to use good knives, keep them sharp, they will serve you well for many years... and they have! A+

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It's really interesting to see that the real pros, the professional meat-cutters, use knives with relatively long (6 inches or longer) in the field as well as back home where they cut and package the meat. For years all the "experts' ridiculed anybody with a blade longer than 4 inches max. "Real experts" used the smallest blade they could find, just to prove they could. But, I guess they had a point because, in my inexpert hands, anything longer than 3.5 inches and without a drop point is likely to cut/puncture something I don't mean to.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by dvdegeorge; 03/30/10.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My choice?

[Linked Image]

Under 20 bucks each.

Sal, Thanks for the tip and for $20 a guy can't go wrong. 32 years cuttin' meat is some serious knife time!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My old neighbor spent 22 years cutting meat, now he's the meat manager for all the Super 1 Foods in the NW.

He runs the same knives, and I intend to add some to the shop wink

Neighbor Pete was telling me that on the bigger knives, get the ones with the 'golf ball' dimples in them. What ya say Sal??

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sometimes you have to do with what you have. Here my guide and friend Angel is quartering a red stag with my spanish made "cuchillo de remate" ("finisher" knife)
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/30-195829L/7536/jpg/03/2010/img5/glowfoto
As you can see it's a big piece with a design that goes back to roman times (maybe before)and is very efficient to stab and create a big wound on a diyng beast.
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/30-200707L/9452/jpg/03/2010/img5/glowfoto
To cut down the meat in smaller pieces I use this "camp knife" that I built using a Boker kitchen knife blade and red stag handle with brass furnishings. The sheath is crude but serves its purpose.
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/30-200838L/4051/jpg/03/2010/img5/glowfoto

PD Sorry, the pictures don't appear, I'm not very good a this....

Last edited by venator; 03/30/10.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Let's try again!
This is the "finisher"
[Linked Image]
This is the home made camp Knife.
[Linked Image]
Angel quartering the stag
[Linked Image]

Last edited by venator; 03/30/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My choice?

[Linked Image]

Under 20 bucks each.

Do those boning knives have a bit of flex or are they fairly stiff? I was a meatcutter for over 22 yrs. I prefer a stiffer style myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Domhnall
It's really interesting to see that the real pros, the professional meat-cutters, use knives with relatively long (6 inches or longer) in the field as well as back home where they cut and package the meat. For years all the "experts' ridiculed anybody with a blade longer than 4 inches max. "Real experts" used the smallest blade they could find, just to prove they could. But, I guess they had a point because, in my inexpert hands, anything longer than 3.5 inches and without a drop point is likely to cut/puncture something I don't mean to.

I wouldn't use anything but a short/drop point in the field, esp for dressing smaller deer. Even moose, you don't need to carry more. The last thing I want is to get a cut while both hands and a long blade are fishing around inside a deer trying to find a windpipe to cut off.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I wouldn't use anything but a short/drop point in the field, esp for dressing smaller deer. Even moose, you don't need to carry more. The last thing I want is to get a cut while both hands and a long blade are fishing around inside a deer trying to find a windpipe to cut off.

Yep. If that blade sticks out much past the end of my finger I'm not too sure where it is or what it's up against. Don't want a bad cut anytime but especially not out in the woods. One guy I knew wore a pair of ordinary cotton gardening gloves while field dressing and skinning. He felt that even the cotton might give him just enough protection to stop a deep cut. At one time I saw gloves made with Kevlar or something which were sold as protection vs knife cuts.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,745
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.