Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I've been examining a couple of S&W, 1911 pistols. Their model 108282 is one slick handling gun. Full lenth, recoil spring guide. But their model 108284 model doesn't have this feature. It has the conventional lenth guide. The only other differences are the grips, synthetic on the 108282, as well as the standard Novak fixed sights. The 108284 gun has fully adjustable sights, like a target gun, and wood grips.
I always assumed that that full lenth guide was used mostly to add weight to the muzzle end of the gun for better control, and, in theory, was suppose to keep the recoil spring from deforming during recoil. Would any of this help with hot/hotter +P ammo ? I've always assumed so.
Whatca think ? Why the differences ? E

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think, though I can't prove, that guns run a little smoother and track a bit better with full-length guide rods. Some folks don't like 'em, and believe they cause reliability issues. I haven't seen that problem come up, ever, in the several 1911s I've owned, so I think they're off base a bit there. To each their own. I kinda like 'em.
They DO complicate disassembly a little, but nothing a thinking person can't overcome. A two-piece guide rod is the answer if the user can't handle a one-piece. I'm comfortable with both or none.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never really did any testing on the accuracy difference, if any, between them & a standard spring guide, so can't say.

What I can say, is that I've seen plenty of very accurate match grade guns w/o full length guides.

In theory, they may keep the spring form deforming but then again, that's never been a functional problem with a standard guide.

They may help muzzle jump with the extra weight towards the muzzle, but frankly, I want my carry guns lighter rather than heavier; maybe OK in a play gun.

My overall opinion is that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.........I change them out whenever I get a gun that has one & save the full length guide in case I sell the gun.

I hate disassembling a gun that has a FL guide, especially if it has a heavy recoil spring.

JMB didn't need 'em & neither do I.

MM

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Full Length Guide Rods ???
-------------------------

The pistol runs smoother and stays snug longer (many, many 1000s of rounds) because the slide is guided straight back and forward on the guide rod, rather than depending so much on the frame rails for guidance.

It must be true, I read it on the Internet!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
For some folks there are 'valid reasons' to have one or the other. I am ambivalent, with some of my 1911 pistols equipped with a full length guide rod and some with the standard size.

Frankly, I can't tell any difference in how they shoot, or whether or not one is more reliable in function than the other.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There has never been any evidence that a standard guide rod binds or bends the spring in any way. If there were any such evidence, then Browning would have designed the gun with a longer guide rod. The standard guide rod was designed to be just right; not too long and not too short. It gives perfect function and simplifies takedown and reassembly. To me, that's the kind of parts I want in my gun; the one's that are just right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having done it both ways - I agree with most of the Tier I pistolsmiths and the real expert users of the 1911 platform - it's a solution in search of a problem.

But, feel free to think otherwise .....

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks guys. I remember hearing about them being an improvement, but, I too, have not seen any difference nor have I seen anything in the way of any testing on this feature. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you find a gun that you like & it has a FL spring guide, you can change it out for less than $20............

I wouldn't not buy a gun I like just because it had a FL spring guide.

MM

U
U
Preference

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I don't like them because I do press checks using my forefinger and pushing backward on the plunger; you can do the same thing with a FLGR setup by grasping front cocking serrations with an overhand grip and pulling, but I prefer to do it from the front. Finger off the trigger of course! grin

Last edited by Oregon45; 04/07/10.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have both. Some of the FLGR require tools to fieldstrip the gun. Wouldn't have one of those. As long as I can take the gun apart without using tools I don't care either way.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nowadays I just prefer the standard GI plug and spring guide. I don't really see a need for a FL guide rod. I had a FL rod that came on my Kimber that I have swapped out for a GI plug. Kept the FL rod in the original case for resale (if I ever sell it).

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,334
Posts18,526,746
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.