Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Just curious, but I know that in my area (soon after steel shot was required for waterfowl) it was common for the game wardens to carry a strong magnet when checking hunters in the field. Steel was the only available non-toxic shot at the time and the rule was that if the shells were`attracted by the magnet you were OK.....if not, you'd likely get a ticket for using lead shot.

Since that time, we have several types of non-ferus shot available (Bismuth, Tugsten, ect.) that the old "magnet" test wouldn't work on. The question is.......not that ANYONE would do such a thing ......if lead shot were loaded into once fired Bismuth marked hulls, how could it be detirmined (in the field) if non-toxic shot was being used???? Even if the shell were cut open (not likely as a rule), could the average game warden tell the difference between lead and Bismuth?

Any ideas or experience here......although I KNOW no one would actually use lead on a poor little ducky.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I'll take a shot. The metals used for shot have distinctly different magnetic permeability, the way the metal reacts to a magnetic field. I recall seeing a hand held device that I think worked on this principle, but I may be recalling wrong. Certainly doable.

BATF (before the E) had a publication that said squeeze the shot. If it's soft and cracking occurs at the edges it's bismuth, if not then lead.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
is is a topic i've been wondering about lately, as i plan to load ballistic products ITX shot and get my old 20 Ga Auto-5 back in the duck blind. itx doesn't crack like bismuth, i beleive has the same magnictic properties as lead. also most of my hulls are from high brass lead upland loads. i think the best bet is to go to my provincial conservation office and just ask well in advance of the season, maybe take a sample of the shot with me and see what they say

.358 Norma Mag. enough said.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ITX stands for Iron Tungsten matriX according to an article in "Guns and Ammo" so it would have very different magnetic permeability than lead. And it turns out that part of getting FWS approval for non-toxic shot is that it can be determined the shot is non-toxic without taking the shell apart.

(6) Field detection device. Before approval of any shot for use in migratory game bird hunting, a noninvasive field testing device must be available for enforcement officers to determine the shot material in a given shell in the field. (Information collection requirements approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control no. 1018 0067) [51 FR 42100, Nov. 21, 1986, as amended at 62 FR 63611, Dec. 1, 1997]
50 CFR 20.134 something or other.

If it's like South Dakota it never hurts to get in touch with your local conservation officer. I know the local guy, he likes to know who the good guys are so he can concentrate on the others. And he's another source on where the fish are biting.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1lesfox, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,649
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.