Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yep, but there is a bit of controversy about using it. I think using modern barrels, the risk is small.

GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
WHere do I get the Dacron?

�You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.� Admiral Yamamoto
www.chefgonehunting.com
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for posting the pictures Hunteria!
They're pretty self explanitroy. Basicly it's a HD ramp to shield the chrony from stray rounds. It it's good against armour piercing ammo but it'll deflect just about anything else. You do need a better tripod than most use. I've also cut the shade rods and 'spliced' them back together with a MickeyD's soda straw. The reasoning is that if you hit one of the rods it'll break the straw and not rip the rods out of the chrony.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by AJcaturano
WHere do I get the Dacron?

Any place that sells sewing/craft supplies. Its a polyester filler used in quilts and pillows.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was pulling dacron out of my wifes teddy bear.. But he started looking anemic so I took my pillow. (that was getting pretty flat and asked her to get me a fresh one..) it'll last along time

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I couldnt find Dacron specifically but got a polyester fiber filler at Joann Fabrics I assume its the same thing.

�You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.� Admiral Yamamoto
www.chefgonehunting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yep, it is. Dacron is a trade name, owned, I think, by Dupont. Its really the same thing used in softdrink bottles, only its spun into fibers.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
What did we do before forums?

www.chefgonehunting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dunno. But dude, your avatar really creeps me out! grin

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
hahaha see my tag line...

www.chefgonehunting.com
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I did. Still. . . shocked

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Figured I might add something here.

The rifle is a Heym that belongs to a friend. He was going to Africa and wanted to shoot some before he left, so he had another friend load up some solids and jacketed soft points. Even handloading gets expensive with big bore stuff, so I bought an LBT mold and started casting bullets.

Here is a target shot with those bullets. We didn't shoot on paper much, but did shoot out to 320 yards.

The load Frank took to Africa was a 2,200 FPS load. He took a sable, leopard, and several wart hogs with those bullets and probably others as well.

[Linked Image]

This is a photo of the sky screens hit with a 515 grain LBT, .470NE. Long story short, the scope mount for this rifle works well, but takes some getting to know. The bullet split both screens and bent the wires.

[Linked Image]

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There is no controversy over the use of DACRON, the controversy is over the use of some other simular products that melt..A wad of DACRON will come out of the barrel in a plug form and land about 10 feet in front of the barrel..

Another option to DACRON are the foam plugs that you can buy from several companies such as Kynoch, they are sized already to caliber and they work very well indeed.

I notice on these threads that the word regulated and sighted in get confused...Regulation is the process needed to get a double rifle to shoot its right and left barrel TOGETHER

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There is no controversy over the use of DACRON, the controversy is over the use of some other simular products that melt in the bore when shot..A wad of DACRON will come out of the barrel in a plug form and land about 10 feet in front of the barrel..

Another option to DACRON are the foam plugs that you can buy from several companies such as Kynoch, they are sized already to caliber and they work very well indeed. They are not particularly expensive either.

I notice on these threads that the word regulated and sighted in being used as the same meaning and they are not, they are two seperate processes and they ain't even kin...

Regulation is the process needed to get a double rifle to shoot its right and left barrel as close TOGETHER as the gun will shoot them without crossing. Then you sight it in by adjusting the sights. The two are not a part of each other...

All doubles are regulated and should be sighted in with a specific load from the the manufacturer and they should tell you what load or what brand of ammo they used to do this. If not give them a call.

The worst thing I see with double rifle users, particularly newbes to the world of doubles is they want to play with them like they do with their bolt action rifles..This has for years resulted in blown up rifles, rifles shot off the face and so fourth, Just ask any double rifle manufacturer...With a double you need to find ONE load that works and shoots its bullet at about 2100 FPS and use that one load only. This is good advise. BTW it only takes ONE SHOOT to shoot a double off face, not a serious of hot loads as some believe...

If I order a Searcy, say a 470, I tell Butch I want it to shoot a 500 gr. Woodleigh at 2100 FPS, probably with 106 grs. of IMR-4831 or whatever. I don't want to mess with it, I want to go shoot buffalo with it.

The sole exception is all his .470s seem to shoot 85 grs. of RL-15 and 5 grs. of DACRON at 2020 FPS to the same POI. They will also shoot a reduced load with a 500 gr. lead bullet and 45 grs. of XMP-5744 at about 1700 FPS to the same POI. This is pretty amazing IMO..This may be of interest to some that just can't handle one load all the time.

I have found myself shooting the 85 gr. 5 gr. of DACRON load at 2020 FPS on buffalo more so than the regulation load, in fact almost exclusively, it recoils mild and kills as well on anything I have used.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I guess we need to define controversy. Just do a quick search on dacron and barrel or chamber ringing and you'll see some pretty varied opinions (like you do here). I would think it would be in a new member's best interests to know that there are some that do think there can be an issue. At least then he can evaluate the existing data and go from there.

Having said that, in modern steel barrels, I have no qualms about putting a puff of dacron on top of the powder, so long as its fluffy enough to make contact with both the powder and bullet base.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 04/12/10.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Another thing to note is the "75% Rule" that NE450#2 (Tony) at the AR forum came up with. He found that you can shoot a slug of 75% weight of the regulation load with the same powder charge and it will shoot to regulation. With my 450's since they were regulated with 480 grain slugs, I dropped back to 350 grain and they work well with reduced recoil. I also tried some 350's with 40 gr of 5744 in both 450's and a 500/450 with very nice results.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hunteria,
The ringing in the barrels was not from using DACRON IMO, rather it was from using IMR-3031 powder with and without a filler as was a long time practice back in the good ole days! and your right there is and has been a lot of controversey on the subject of doubles.

The double rifle is shadowed in myth and misinformation such as IMR-4831 will split barrels or blow up guns from a double explosion, but I have never been able to varify that with anything but "well I know a guy" or "my uncle charley did it" etc. and I have tried for years to varify one proven case, no luck... Another myth that is simply hogwash is that you must shoot a double with the front trigger then the rear trigger (ritht left) as that is how it was regulated..I have done it both ways many times and there is no difference in any double I have ever shot and that is a bunch of double rifles..In fact I always shoot the rear trigger first, as on ocassion if you shoot the front one first then sooner or later your finger will come off the front trigger and hit the rear and you will get a double bang, and it will kick the liveing s---t out of you! smile I will also add that I have used the GS custom monolithics and North Fork monolithic bullets in about all of the English rifles and with no problems at all, and that is about all I use in the Searcys or modern guns. I have heard that the Barnes solids will split barrels, but I simply dont' believe it, but I won't swear to it because as sure as I did someone on this board would blow a gun up with them..probably because they over loaded it and blamed it on the bullets used, that's always real convienient, and grounds for a law suit and recovery of a expensive rifle I suspect! smile. Nice talking to you.

Mike1,
Yes, the 75% rule is what I used to come up with my 45 grs. of XMP-5744 load and a 500 gr. bullet in my .470 mentioned in my last post above..It does work 99% of the time and when it doesn't its usually because the gun is off face or something else is haywire...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
On that target you posted the picture of.. Why did you cut back for shooting with a scope? Load it back up to the iron sighted speed and try again.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by atkinson
The double rifle is shadowed in myth and misinformation such as IMR-4831 will split barrels or blow up guns from a double explosion, but I have never been able to varify that with anything but "well I know a guy" or "my uncle charley did it" etc. and I have tried for years to varify one proven case, no luck... Another myth that is simply hogwash is that you must shoot a double with the front trigger then the rear trigger (ritht left) as that is how it was regulated..I have done it both ways many times and there is no difference in any double I have ever shot and that is a bunch of double rifles..In fact I always shoot the rear trigger first, as on ocassion if you shoot the front one first then sooner or later your finger will come off the front trigger and hit the rear and you will get a double bang, and it will kick the liveing s---t out of you! smile ..

Well, IMR 4831 problems is one I hadn't heard!

I've never seen any difference between shooting the left barrel first either. Although, and while its hard to believe, the only time I ever saw a .470NE double was when a guy said he'd pulled the rear trigger first. I sure wish I had a camera. His glasses were blown completely off his face and I'm not sure his hair wasn't standing up too!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Got it... 107 Grains of IMR 4831, The H 4831 did not work. They were crimped and the non crimps did not work. Off to the chiropracter for a full body adjustment...

I attached the picture, if it did not work then I cannot figure out how to attach it, figuring out the double was actually easier than the photo option.

I also got the Book "Shooting the Double Rifle"

Attached Images
Double.jpg (46.21 KB, 229 downloads)
Last edited by AJcaturano; 04/13/10.

www.chefgonehunting.com
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,866
Posts18,478,673
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.