Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Guys,

I have a chance to get a very nice Kimber K-22 Classic in 22LR at a decent price.

It is the later 2003-2006 model with the step contoured barrel just like the m84 Classics and it is a beautifull gun .It is brand new. The dealer ran some ammo through it to do a feed- function test but has not fired it.

My question is Accuracy- how to the Kimber of America(Yonkers made) 22LR rifles shoot??

Anyone here with some extensive experienceshooting these Yonkers made kimber rifles????

Last edited by jim62; 04/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I've had a few of the Yonkers K-22's Jim, accuracy was very good (not dazzling) the New York kimbers I owned both had wonderful fit and finish and the Super America model I had was the most beautiful 22lr I have ever owned, the problem with both was the same, ejection issues, they fed and extracted well but ejection was iffy, I've also owned a couple older Kimber of Oregon models and I was even less impressed with the function of these models than the New Yorkers, Overall fit and finish wasn't as good with the Oregon models either...The issues with these rifles should be well documented on rimfirecentral.com, I'd go there and do a search before I buy.........Good Luck...........VaHillbilly.

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Va..

Thanks for the reply based on actual experience..

Frankly, I am SO tired of RFC. The site used to have a lot of knowledgeable folks on it, nowadays there are just a bunch of wannabees , "net heros" and 10/22 parts whores there. Most of the wankers there freely give advice about things THEY HAVE NEVER OWNED..

A lot of folks on that sight are TOTAL posers and as full of schit as some dude at a local gunshop. I try not to go there for "advice", if you know what I mean.

I have seen several other folks here who own a few, so I wanted their feedback. I figured if they shot as well as a run of the mill CZ m452 American in .22LR (MOA with a clip full of it's favoite ammo) then I would be doing just fine.

You know, I have owned ANSCHUTZ m54 sporters that shot no better(truly), so I am not THAT hard to please. I am not expecting 1/4" groups at 50 yards with bulk pack ammo..LOL. Really, I was just wondering how hard 1/2" five shot groups at 50 yards would be with a Yonkers made rifle.

The feeding issues seemed to be the most problematic and that is why I insisted the dealer at least run some rounds through it to check feeding and ejection.

The stock figure, finish and checkering on the rifle i am looking at is as good as any of the Oregon guns I owned, the only step down is the rubber pad instead of the checkered steel on the 1980s guns. Other than that, the gun I am pondering looks GREAT.

After handling them at the SHOT show thi year, I will either be getting a new m84 Kimber Classic or a FN made Winchester m70 featherweight in 7mm-08, so the little K-22 Kimber would be a great "understudy" practice rifle for the bigger gun. Same basic feel, function and safety ,etc.

Last edited by jim62; 04/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think the K-22 model is one of the most beautiful rimfire rifles thats ever been produced by anyone, what model are you looking at? I hope it's a Classic, (My personal favorite) The accuracy that You would be pleased with can be expected from this rifle, so no sweat there.........Good luck and let us know how she functions and shoots.............VaHillbilly.

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
VA,

YES- it is the later Classic model with the stepped breech contoured barrel.Also the wood figure is as nice (or nicer) than some of the old M82 CUSTOM classics I owned in the 1980s. I like the matte finish on the Standard k-22 Classics so the overall look was perfect for me.

I have wanted one for the last 5-6 years ever since the last version of the K22 classics came out. Ergonomically and stylistically, they are my ideal .22 bolt sporter. Basically, a miniature m70 Winchester.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice Jim, enjoy!...............VaHillbilly.

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
VA..

I just about bought your Sako Quad last weekend as soon as you listed it.

The problem was I was made aware of this Kimber the day before.

I know you said the Quad would shoot under 1/2" (and I beleive you)but as I get older there are more important things than 1/4" MOA tighter groups on a 100 yard rifle.

I could have bought a dozen Quads when closed out at Whittakers last year but I could not bring myself to lay the cash down for one. I just can't get past the "Finnish Tupperware" aspect of the guns. Plastic everywhere. Some of them are real shooters but to me a they are "bolt action Glock".. and I hate Glocks.

I figured if I bought your Quad, then I would get a SAKO A7 to go with it then I would start driving a Prius or a Volvo and then I'd be some yuppy hunter who shoots plastic guns. Then soon I'd become a vegan, give up guns and finally slit my wrists due to "plastic toxicity"..LOL

At the age of 48, I want it made HERE ,(if possible) and made from STEEL . Plastic belongs on toys..IMHO.

One thing is for sure, When I get the Kimber I will not be afraid to tweek the bedding, float the barrel etc etc. I will set it up to really shoot. If it is still a dog, then well, I gave it a shot.. "Se la vie"..

Last edited by jim62; 04/11/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by jim62
VA..

I figured if I bought your Quad, then I would get a SAKO A7 to go with it then I would start driving a Prius or a Volvo and then I'd be some yuppy hunter who shoots plastic guns. Then soon I'd become a vegan, give up guns and finally slit my wrists due to "plastic toxicity"..LOL

I rather enjoyed your post Jim, and laughed out loud at this statement. You better stay away from Sako though, the Quality and accuracy will spoil you for life!!......Thanks for the laugh........VaHillbilly.

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Actually VA, I have owned plenty of Sakos over the last 30 years..I just never thought they were magic like some folks do.

I have owned many Sako Centerfires (mostly vixens and AIIs)and 4 rimfires. A p-72 rimfire, m78 Sporter, m78 HB and the Finnfire mentioned.

Frankly, the Sako centerfires shot OK, but varied quite a bit from rifle to rifle like any other brand of gun . After shooting many of both brands over the last 30 years,if the bedding and trigger adjustments are the same, the Remington m700s have consistently outshot the Sakos I have owned. Even the post 2000 Remington m700s I have owned have shot VERY well.

The early Sako rimfires were accurate every bit as accurate as any Anschutz sporters I have shot, but the actions were ugly as hell and the cast bolt knob/ handles looked pretty darn crude as well. They made a CZ 452 bolt handle look like Custom gun guild work by comparison.

Now, because those guns are rare and expensive, folks talk about them as though they are the "second comming", all the while forgeting some of their faults..

Same with the Finnire. Plastic trigger guard, bolt shroud, paper clip ejector etc etc.. Weird little guns.. The Finnfire I owned would shoot just about ANY load into 5/8" at 50 yards, the problem was it refused to go smaller than that even with match loads.. it WAS consistent, though..

So, no Sako "spell" has ever been cast on me yet.. And the plastic on the new ones sure is not helping.. wink

I am wiling to bet though, that the gent who bought your Quad last weekend will be tickled with it.. Sounded like a very nice shooting rifle.

To all gunmaker critics-
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Even though I usually spend my time on RFC in the Kimber forum, I hope that you won't interpret my comments to be from a wannabee. I actually do own and shoot close to 3 dozen rimfires with "Kimber" stamped on the barrel. I have a K22 classic that does shoot sub moa @ 50 yards with about anything you feed it and the high end ammo will produce some pretty impressive groups. All of my guns weakly eject spent cases when I do a limp bolt operation, just like my Cooper 57 does, but do fine when I do my part. The trigger can be adjusted easily and decently and mine is a safe 1.5 lbs. and never varies. I heard a couple of reports that the bolt release has broken on a few guns but I've never had a problem and KoA will instantly send a new one if needed. The early magazines for the K22 were pretty lousy but the later ones are fine and you can tune the problems out of the earlier ones fairly easily if you want. Also Remington magazines fit and function well. The fit and workmanship of the wood is fine, however the oil type finish just isn't in the same league with the finish on the my earlier KoO 82's.
I also have a KoA K17 in mach2, which is the exact same action and it's a really fine shooter, and gets shot as much as 500 times a day on a good sagerat shoot.
You mentioned decent price which is a good thing in light of the upward price movement that appears to be going on of late with the classic and hunter K22's as well as the good wooded KoO 82's.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
jim62 I have two Kimber k22, one classic and the other a varminter I think. They both shoot very well as long as feed them high dollar eley's. The only high velocity ammo I can run in them is eley white rabbits. Both guns will regulary shoot 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards. The problem I find with them is the forend is rounded and they don't ride the bags good and it seems alot times it causes me to pull a shot. As stated above the ejection issue with kimbers. If you do not run the bolt hard it will cause the empty to just flip and stay in the ejection port. This really pisses me off.

My experience with sako is just the opposite of yours. I own several sako 75's and all of them have out shot the Remington 700's I have owned even after I bedded and adjusted the triggers on the Remington 700's.

I am the guy who bought VA's sako quad rifle and I hope I don't start driving a prius....grin.

I have also owned a couple of cz's and really liked them and they shot very well but I can't get used to that damn safety they have.

sagerat I don't post on RFC but go there and read about things. I read the other day that someone thought the 22 would not kill a squirrel. I wanted to post in this part of the country a 22 is considered a pretty good deer rifle most of the winter...grin. It is a shame that there are some guys over there that really know their stuff but they get over shadowed by guys that just bought a 10/22 at walmart and are now professionals.

Dink

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Sagerat and Dink..

Thanks for the replies..

Boht of you gave me some well rounded takes based on actual expreince which is what I needed here..

I thank you.

To all gunmaker critics-
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hi Jim, I hunted a K22 for 8 yrs. Mine was one of the first hunters, with better wood than the later rifles. You will like the rifle, if you use it within its parameters. It is not a .25" rifle as you know, but it IS THE BEST STILL HUNTING RIFLE EVER MADE. Overall design, balance, and craftsmanship are superb. Much better than the Cooper. The trigger can be tuned to be Jewell quality, and the safety is the best on a hunting rifle currently made.

Now for the bad news: As someone pointed out, extraction is weak. I had to have my extractor replaced initially, and magazine function can be iffy. Its easy to get use to the spent cartridge spinning out on top, just tip the rifle over the side to spill it and go on.

Also, I went through around 6 mags before I found two that worked perfectly all the time.

Still, you can not build half the rifle for twice the cost.

All that said, I sold mine Friday. Trying to fund an Anschutz 1712, which have better barrels. That is the really weak link in the Kimber, its ammo picky like nothing else. Mine was sub-moa with Eley HV HPs, which sadly are no longer imported. It shoots acceptible with Eley SS HPs and RWS SS HPs, and I can make do with CCI HV HPs, but almost everything else is only so so. I bought several bricks of SK HV HPs, the best HV round still imported, and it shot 2 to three inch groups at 50. I love the feel of the rifle, and if you are ok with using one ammo you will be fine. But dont expect to grab ammo off the rack at Wal mart and go drill 10 shot one hole groups at 50 yds.

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
REx,

Thanks for that reply.

Speaking of Anschutz rifles in SPORTERS, you may find them to be a bit overated in the accurcy dept.. Not all of them shoot better than your Kimber did. I know I have shoot at least two of them that had barrels so poor that shot no better than the worst CZ 452 I have owned. And that was after the owners had pillar bedded and floted them. Very unimpressive.

Whether it's a rimfire or centerfire barrel, a manufacture can make the smoothest staightest and most consistent tubes they can and still some stinkers will not shoot very well. It happens. The real test is if they back the guns up after the sale.
I know one thing, If I dropped $1,500 + on ANY new Anschutz and it would not cissistnely shoot well under 1/2" at 50 yards with SOMETHING, I would be on the honor to Merkel immediately and telling them to make it right.Any gun selling for $1,000+ should have some sort of an accuracy quarantee, IMHO.I don't care where it is made.

And, BTW, I don't know of any sane person who would ever expect 1/4" ten shot groups from bulk pack ammo at 50 yards from ANY .22 rifle. Even the best built bench guns can't do it and that is due to ammo consistency alone. You know that, but most folks can't wrap their brains around it.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jim62
Guys,

I have a chance to get a very nice Kimber K-22 Classic in 22LR at a decent price.

It is the later 2003-2006 model with the step contoured barrel just like the m84 Classics and it is a beautifull gun .It is brand new. The dealer ran some ammo through it to do a feed- function test but has not fired it.

My question is Accuracy- how to the Kimber of America(Yonkers made) 22LR rifles shoot??

Anyone here with some extensive experienceshooting these Yonkers made kimber rifles????

I bought one in a pawn shop this past winter just because it had nice wood. I have somewhere near 30 cartons of .22 ammo (15,000 rounds) and I decided to get a .22 and maybe start shooting up this ammo I have saved.

I just picked out 2-100 round boxes of Federal Spitfire ammo and it shot MOG (Minute of Gopher) all day long. If I aimed for the eye, pop... head was gone. If I aimed for the butt, pop, gopher parts on the ground.

I wasn't sure I would keep the gun as I prefer this when I shoot gophers, but .22 LR guns won't deliver...

[Linked Image]

The gun shoots as good with that Spitfire ammo as it looks...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

By the end of the day I was in love with the gun. The trigger responds to pressure. I don't feel any movement at all in the trigger. It fires with absolute consistancy at about 2 1/2 pounds. The only misses were do to shooter error. We had a great day yesterday with a carload of guns, and you can be sure that next Saturday when I go, the Kimber will be along, this time I will take more than 200 rounds. It won't be Spitfire ammo, but some other brand of hollow points. If it doesn't shoot them as well I will let you know. I doubt I will be disappointed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Schrapnel..

I was waiting for your reply as I remember you had picked up that rifle just last year. My gun will be it's twin , stepped barrel and all.

The only exception is the wood figure. My stock will have more color streaks in it and no fiddleback. The stock on the rifle I am constemplating has a fairly flat oil finish in it. It does not look glossy like yours. It still is damn handsome stock.

I do have a question Schrap- does your rifle have the early two position safety or the later three postion unit??

Since part of my mission is to have a compatable "trainer" for my centerfire bolts with three position safeties, it would be a real bonus.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jim,

My finish is a satin, oil finish, the reflection is due to the flash on the camera. I am sure both guns have similar oil finish.

The safety is a 2 position safety, the bolt does open on safety as well.

I don't know how old the gun is, I got it used, but I don't think it had been shot much if at all, it is mint.

I sighted it in with some .22 ammo I pulled from my shelf and once I sighted it in I haven't been back to the range to check it. Furthermore I don't care as long as I can hit gophers like I did yeasterday.

If it turns into some monster like some of these guys claim, it will be gone. I can't own an inaccurate rifle any more than I can own an ugly gun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Jim, what year was your poor shooting Anschutz made? I have a '72 model that is a tack driver (Savage Anschutz 54). Interesting, I would never have rated the 54 actions with the CZ, but I have only owned three of each.

And yeah, I was funning about the .25 thing but that is what people seem to want. They want everything to be benchrest accurate, with 2$ ammo. Not going to happen, but with the right ammo the Kimber will hold its own. But man they can be picky.

Oh, somebody asked about chambering issues. When mine was new I did have chambering troubles with all but match ammo. Kimber match chambers are tight and have sharp corners at the breech face, no real leade in. After years of use, it will chamber most rounds, even Winchester Power Points. I am told you can take a dremel and make a small radius at the breech to simulate wear, but I was never brave enough to do that. Shoot Wolf ammo and you are good.

Extraction is still iffy, but it is iffy on everything I have ever used excepting a Winchester 52.

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Rex,

I am only quoting my actual experience with guns I have shot. Both were 1980s vintage rifles. And they are not the only ones I have seen. or heard about.The guns I had were lucky to shoot under 1" at 50 yeards.. And it was not me, as deuing the same bench sessions I was punching ut sub 1/2" groups with other centerfire sporter rifles I had.

I am sure 90% of the Aschutz sporters made shoot very well. I just know for a fact not everything with their name on it is a tack driver. Some are pretty darn average. The three early Sako .22 sporters I owned would shoot groups HALF the size of the m54 and m64 I had. And every single CZ m452 I ave owned would actually beat it easily. I was not impressed.

Furthermore, I hnonestly do not feel the newer Anschutz sporters are built to the same accuracy standards as the old rifles- even the m54s. I would take and early 1970s rifles over a new one anyday.

One thing is for certain . Anschutz does NOT test fire their guns with the metalwork in a stock off of sandbags. They clamp the barrels in a machine rest and fire those test groups. The problem is the vibration is totally different in the machine rest and many barrels simply don't shoot as well then placed in an actual stock. Even if the shooter is up to the challenge and the constions are perfect, those test tunnel groups simply cannot be repeated.

The thing is, there is a "Mystique" that builds up around certain mdoels of guns that no matter WHAT the actual gun itself looks or performs like, reality itself cannot overcome.

The Anschutz barrels REALLY earned their rep for accuracy in the Olypmics 40-50 years ago.. And while that is impressive to many, the dirty little secret is VERY few of the gold medal winning Anscutz rifles had standard factory barrels on them certinly practically none of them have in the last 20 years. Most of the are custom tubes and many are American made.

Now, that is in a TARGET weight rifle, in an Anshutz sporter,I think they should be prepaed for some folks to send the guns back beucase they don't shoot well under real bench conditions in an actual stock. That is because Anschutz does not test fire them that way in the plant.

To all gunmaker critics-
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Schrap,

Thanks for the feedback. Two postion or Three, the basic function fo the safety will be the same so no real problems there.

As to shooting Gophers, most of the gopher hunters I know on the Western side of MT, use the .22LR nearly exclusively since they cannot afford to get much trigger time in with centerfire.Hang time or not, they use a 22LR.

Too many Gophers to shoot, too fast ,which heats up a barrel that fast with a centerfire.

That is part of the reason why I prefer a really accuarate .22 Hornet of at most .223 on Prairie dogs down here. They are cheaper to shoot and don't heat up the barrel nearly as fast.

To all gunmaker critics-
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.