Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
From what I understand, Ruger does make runs as in the past but is using lean production more. Meaning, they make what's been ordered when it's ordered. This eliminates a LOT of stagnant inventory in the warehouse. Good that it saves time, money, and resources but sometime bad in that some models are immediately available. Makes it somewhat difficult in some cases when a dealer won't order what isn't in stock at the distributor. Some won't check amongst distributors if their primary one is out of stock. I ordered mine though my brother (has FFL) and spoke first-hand with the distributor, the president of the company actually. Explained what I wanted and was told I'd have the next two that they got it. Took almost 2 months but I got them. Dealer size cannot matter since this was only the second order my brother had ever placed with them. (the previous one was for me as well;) It's more having a dealer that will work with you and have a distributor that will work with them.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BlkHawk73,

I'm sure you are right about the lean production. But Ruger never told me that they had already produced some of the rifles. They consistently talked about when they were going to start. And you would think that if they had already built some, they would say so.
That never happened. In fact , they had already built some, but somehow did not seem to know it.

Can't imagine that it was supposed to be a secret. Keep in mind, the dealers I talked to contacted their distributors, who also, like me, contacted Ruger. And Ruger never said, we have built some and we'll tell you who we sent them to. That would have been consistent with the lean production concept. It never happened.

At this point, I think I over-killed this horse. I'll let it rest in peace.

Steve

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Still waiting Steve,

Next shipment arrives in about 4 weeks, hpoing it will come this time.

Cheers

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pls let me know when it arrives.

Steve

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Just picked up the son's #1-S 300 H&H that went back to Ruger with a cracked stock after 5 rounds. They replaced it with a pretty nice piece of wood! We're headed out in the morning for a weekend of hawg hunting and shooting. AAR when I get back!

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob...don't kill all the hogs down there...I'll have to come and help one day.... whistle

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have an old Pre 64 Win. with the metal worn bright, drift wood looking stock, in 300 H&H. The stock is a custom stock I built in 1954 and that stock has been on many rifles that I owned and had many glass jobs and now the glass shows on each side of the barrel of the 300 and its been on that gun for about 30 years now, but thats OK, it's not a thing of beauty to most..the gun shoots incredibly, and it shoots all weight bullet to the same POI..so I kept it, and that in itself seldom happens around here..I only keep a gun until I get bored with it as a rule, but I have some exceptions.

For the last 30 years I have used the 200 and 220 gr. Nolsers in it for hunting have regulated the lighter Noslers I use in my 30-06 and 308, and this has worked well..the old 300 H&H has served me well indeed.

The 300 H&H with that long neck doesn't take any powder space away when using the big long Nolsers like many of the 300s do, so I get velocity right up there tickling the 300 Wby, can't ask for more than that. I like it better than the 300 Win mag I built my son, at least with heavy bullets, but he only uses the 180 gr. Noslers and uses them on everything..

A bonus of the 300 H&H is extraction with a hot load, the case taper always allows extractions, some say it feeds better but I think that is a misconseption simply because it looks like it should, most of the 300 magnums feed well if they are put together right, but perhaps that long torpedo looking tube is a feeding plus, who knows?.

At any rate it is always an excellent choice of caliber, has some built in nostalgia, very popular among Africans, and is sexy as someone pointed out.

Long live the 300 H&H..and if you get bored with it, then all you gotta do is punch it out to a 300 WBY, another great caliber.

Last edited by atkinson; 03/18/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ray,
Excellent post on the 300 H&h. It seems to be one of those cartridges that is much more effective than it is popular. And it looks like another one of those cartridges that the loonies fall in love with.

I'd be surprised if I got bored with my 300 H&H. In fact, I may be in love.

Steve

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bob...don't kill all the hogs down there...I'll have to come and help one day.... whistle

Ingwe

That sounds like a plan!!!!!! Like I said on another post dunno why I'm going with all the hogs here on the place. Must be the fellowship and food! LOL

If the little turd ever sells or trades off this #1, without giving me first dibs, he's up for a real, honest-to-god Roy D. Mercer Azz-wuppin'!!!!!! Last year he sold an awesome old classic FN 98 actioned rifle built in '52 right out from under me!!!! .257 Bob to boot! Said he need cash for hospital bills!!! I was fit to be tied! Awesome nice old piece of walnut! Reminded me of a super grade 70 it was so nice!!!!!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wantok
Still waiting Steve,

Next shipment arrives in about 4 weeks, hpoing it will come this time.

Cheers

wantok,
Local importer has dibs on 4 of them. They're hoping to receive those 4 in the next shipment ... but ... Ruger doesn't always send what's ordered in quantities to cover all orders. I'm receiving a 450/400NE this week coming, the 303British whenever it arrives and enquired about a 300H&H. The very first is spoken for ... after that 3 remain and are hopefully in the shipment. Damn I'm tempted!
Cheers...
Con

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Con,

It's an established fact that the easiest way to get rid of a temptation, is to give in to it.

That's a tried and true Campfire solution.

Now place that order!

Steve

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

Now place that order!

Steve

Steve,
You really need to speak with 'she who must be obeyed'. grin

My greatest worry is that I'll be broke when Ruger finally does a regular production run of 450NE, 500 NE or be still my beating heart ... a 400/350NE! smile

Looked at importing a Boddington once released in 450NE (AUD$2200) but the matte finish cheapens a really nice gun ... I couldn't own something that reminds me of a Rem SPS.
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Con,

All the Aussies I have known could always find a way. I'm betting that you will too, and that a new rifle is right around the corner for you. "She who must be obeyed" wants you to be happy.

Trust me!

Now place that order.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
[quote=Con]

The very first is spoken for ... after that 3 remain and are hopefully in the shipment. Damn I'm tempted!

If all goes to plan Con that first .300H&H off the boat is mine, fingers crossed.

Now Con on the other matter don't let the trouble and strife put you off from the good things in life (like Ruger No1s), Just do the time honored tradition and don't tell her. The good thing about No1s is to the untrained eye they all look the same and don't attract a lot of attention, unlike when a black rifle suddenly appears in the safe.

Cheers for now

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Con,

Now there's my Aussie finding a way. Aussies always seem to do that.

Good on ya'.

Steve

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Steve

It's here!!! I walked into Peter Kay,the local gunsmith on Friday and he smiled and walked out the back and reappeared carrying a Ruger box and there inside was my .300H&H Magnum. What a beauty, no new father could be prouder. I have now sent off my permit to aquire and in two to three weeks I will be able to pick it up, which is just as well as we haven't been able to get any brass or ammunition yet. I will try and post a photo when I work out how it is done.

cheers

David

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
David,

Congratulations! That is terrific news. I'll look forward to your range reports and pictures.

Steve

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Embarrassed to say what I paid for 'em (dealer in the family wink )but here's my pair I received a couple weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BlkHawk73; 04/12/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They are beauties.

Not that often you can tell a guy what a great pair he has.

Steve

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
They are beauties.

Not that often you can tell a guy what a great pair he has.

Steve

Thanx! The longer than norm bbls make it handle great! Now just waiting for the .303 LoL

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1234, 1minute, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.