Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TDC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
WTF: stopped in the local Walmart the other day to pick up a couple things and see what handgun ammo they had in stock. Nothing I needed but I picked up one of the small Smith's pocket sharpeners. I like to keep several around. Went to pay for it at the sporting goods counter and the manager says "you're over 18, right?". I'm 43 with graying hair. I kind of chuckled and asked why he wanted to know. He says you have to be 18 to buy a knife SHARPENER. I thought he was kidding but he was serious. I asked him if that is a state law or a Walmart regulation. He didn't know. I didn't even know you had to be 18 now to even buy a knife, let alone a knife sharpener. I remember saving my money and buying pocket knives when I was 10 years old

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A knife sharpener can be a dangerous weapon - you could hit someone with it. Hence, the need to make certain you are 18+; after all,only those under 18 commit acts of violence.

Right?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Walmart can't sell a hunting or pocket knife to an underage person. BUT.....an underage person "can" buy a kitchen knife!!!!!! GO FIGGER!

For every law that's passed, a little freedom dies!!!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TDC
I remember saving my money and buying pocket knives when I was 10 years old

Yeah, me too. Even younger. Still have the scars to prove it. Stupid law/reg/rule for sure.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ask him if you need to fill out a Form 4473 to buy a gun case. Or if you have to be 18 to buy a cigarette lighter.

Stupidity in action.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's the dull knife empowerment act of 2009...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just bought a couple bricks of .22LR and the gal behind the counter looked confused and asked if it was for a handgun or a rifle. I said, "rifle". She then asked if I was over 18 (I'm almost 40). She then said she didn't know why she had to ask and I had to explain the difference, 18 years old to buy rifle ammo and 21 to buy handgun. I'm glad I have to explain to the employee why they have to follow certain rules. She then commented on how dumb that was because I could just say whatever I wanted if I was under 21. I just said, yep. By the way, I had to spend the first five minutes standing in front of the ammo counter listening to her talk to a friend about how she needed to change her birth control because she got pregnant while using the "patch" and they went back and forth about how they both got pregnant while on birth control and their "boyfriends" were pissed. I just kept thinking, "I sure hope they vote!" wink

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Knife sharpeners are child's play. Lady's bras, now, those are dangerous. People have been strangled with them, and rubbernecking drivers have killed thousands.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

In the Chicago area recently a woman was beaten to death with a baseball bat and another person was stabbed to death. I am waiting for the call to regulate knives and bats like you always hear when a firearm is used to kill someone.
I guess your Wal Mart is just "thinking of the children".
I always had pocket knives as a kid and still do. A couple of years ago I gave a co worker a small pocket knife I had found. I was tired of seeing him open boxes with his keys. A couple of days later he didn't have the knife. He had left the knife in his car when he went shopping. He didn't think it was appropriate to carry a "weapon" in the store.
I don't know what this world is comming to.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He didn't think it was appropriate to carry a "weapon" in the store.

Wow! Just shows us the varied mindset we all have. I ALWAYS have a Leatherman, a pocket knife, and a folding sheath knife on me, and have never considered them weapons. They're just tools.

1Minute
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
He didn't think it was appropriate to carry a "weapon" in the store.

Wow! Just shows us the varied mindset we all have. I ALWAYS have a Leatherman, a pocket knife, and a folding sheath knife on me, and have never considered them weapons. They're just tools.

Agree 100% they tools, and some people bring the wrong tool to a gunfight grin

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chicago update:

was just there a couple of weeks ago, big azz trade show for my industry, looked like a Dolly Parton convention soo many chicks trying to out trashy-look each other.

anyhoo, stepped out for a smoke and some little peroxide blonde asked if she could have one "told her sure but you won't like it, it's the least nicotine of any smoke available (Carltons, last step before giving em up, long last step, grin), you want me to cut part of the filter off?"

sure she says

so I whip out my CRKT bwana, flick it open and slice half the filter off clean as a whistle

"OMG she says are you some kind of biker?"

WTF I'm thinking I didn't think bleach/color on their heads could affect brain cells, but may have to rethink that now.

blade was 3 7/8" that's legal in Chicago isn't it?

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by acesandeights
I just bought a couple bricks of .22LR and the gal behind the counter looked confused and asked if it was for a handgun or a rifle. I said, "rifle". She then asked if I was over 18 (I'm almost 40). She then said she didn't know why she had to ask and I had to explain the difference, 18 years old to buy rifle ammo and 21 to buy handgun. I'm glad I have to explain to the employee why they have to follow certain rules. She then commented on how dumb that was because I could just say whatever I wanted if I was under 21. I just said, yep. By the way, I had to spend the first five minutes standing in front of the ammo counter listening to her talk to a friend about how she needed to change her birth control because she got pregnant while using the "patch" and they went back and forth about how they both got pregnant while on birth control and their "boyfriends" were pissed. I just kept thinking, "I sure hope they vote!" wink

That was funny until I realize it is one of OUR local Wally Worlds you were speaking about...Medford ONE?

That new Wally World in Eagle Point, that one is really anti Firearm.. the new store profile not selling firearms at all..

I refuse to shop there period!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had a pocket knife in my pocket )even in school) since granpa gave me the first one when I was 8. Always considered it a tool, never a weapon! WTF is wrong today???? World is full of dumbassed-pantywetting-girlymen!!!!!!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Seafire, Eagle Point WalMart...one of the worst places to ever have to shop. If I didn't live in Eagle Point I'd never go there. My wife gets pissed that I'll drive into town 9 times out of 10 rather than go to Wal Mart, or I'll buy from Rays, The Butcher Shop or just about anywhere else.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

I'm not sure if it's legal to have balls in Chicago anymore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WHen i was highschool 4 years ago the teachers and principal had no problem with us having pocket knives as long as the blade was under a certain length, which i cant remember. My little brother who is a freshman this year at the same school, told me that if you are seen with a pocket knife even with a 1" blade, you get like a whole week of in school suspension. How insane is that? And this isnt some big city 1000s of kids school. I think the whole highschool has less than 150 kids in it. Its one of those schools where kids drive grain trucks, pull horse trailers, and a kid even had to drive a tractor to school once. So knives are common.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

I'm not sure if it's legal to have balls in Chicago anymore.

cool, figured if I was already running illegal no worries in adding to the culpability

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
TDC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
When I was in high school, I was required to do a demonstration for English class. With approval from my teacher, I brought my double barrel 20 gauge and demonstrated to the class how to clean a shotgun. Times have changed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I was gainfully employed, I was what we called the upper air program leader. (Weather Bureau and upper air refers to releasing balloons with instruments attached.) Part of my duties was ordering more ballons and instruments as supplies ran low. Unpacking that stuff meant cutting open as many as a dozen heavy duty cardboard boxes and my little Gerber and a box cutter failed miserably for that work. So, I looked around and bought a Spyderco that was all serrated blade. It made the job a hell of a lot easier as I didn't have to stop and sharpen a knife or change blades in the box cutter. My immediate supervisor saw the Spyderco one day and ordered me to not bring it to work. Well,I tell him that it is necessary for me to accomplish part of my work. Lots of harassment from that little punk but I hold firm. I tell him either I do my job in the successful manner that I've been doing it or he can "F"ing well do it himself. For the next 6 month, I get all kinds of harassing BS from him and he even gets the boss involved. So here we are at a time when we're short handed by two people and cannot afford to lose anyone in order to keep things run on a 24 hour basis. I walk in and drop my retirement papers on the boss, effective immediately. I had more than enough time in having done this stuff for 33 years. He asked me to stay until he got at least one replacement and I said nope, I'm outta here. I will not put up with the crap I've been getting from you and the "other guy" that you've been dishing out. They pushed too hard and I had what I felt there were two choices. Go postal or leave. I figured they were not worth getting a needle and left.
One of the worst part of that job, and to be honest, I loved my job as I elt I was doing something useful, was those damned rotating shifts. I've been retired for a bit over ten years now and my sleep patterns are still horribly screwed up. My gut is a disaster and I have a terible addiction to Ramen.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,770
Posts18,476,810
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.