Print Thread
Hop To
D
djr2918 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Ive been debating about which headspace and oal length gauge to get for a little while. Ive heard good things about the Stony point stuff and the RCBS Precision Mic. I could get the stony point body and the length and head space bushings for about $25. But the RCBS precision mic is around $40. But with the mic you get head space, col, and a bullet seating tool. I could get some more bushing for different calibers for the SP for a lot cheaper than the RCBS mic. Since I just started, I decided to just to load the 7-08 for a while and hold off on the hornet till I get more experience. So out of those two product which would you pick? Ill be only loading for the 08 for quite a while. Also what do yall think about the lee case trimming stuff? The cutter and lock stud are really inexpensive and on the midway website theyve got good reviews. Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by djr2918; 12/27/04.
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use the Stoney Point tools myself and have found them to be quite satisfactory and cost effective. To do the headspace measuring, you will need a decent dial caliper, the B-2000 body and the appropriate bushing. (The 7mm-08 uses bushing #D -0.400", but I don't know that they have one for the Hornet.) The B-2000 body is what attaches to the caliper and is what the headspace bushings and comparitor inserts for measuring OAL to the ogive fit into.

The OAL gauge is a separate tool and is used in conjunction with the caliper, B-2000 body, and appropriate insert. The OAL gauge also requires an appropriate cartridge case that is drilled and threaded through its base to fit the OAL tool. These cases aren't very expensive, but you could do your own with the appropriate drill and tap. The drill size and tap thread are not of a common size and pitch. I don't now remember what that size and pitch is, but maybe someone else on this forum will know.

The Stoney Point Overall Length gauge averages about $26. The associated cartridges average about $6 each. The Comparator body runs about $14, headspace gauge bushings average about $7 each, OAL inserts about $3.50 each. One can buy the headspace gauge set with body and 5 bushings for about $34. Another way is to buy the comparator with 6 OAL inserts for about $25 and then buy the headspace 5 bushing set for another $25.

Quite frankly I don't care for the Lee Case Trimmer. It's okay, I suppose, for small quantities if you are satisfied with one fixed case length and don't mind the time it takes to use it. Sooner or later, though, I think that you will opt for a bench mounted case trimmer of some sort.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you really want the best and the easiest to use get a Redding instant indicator die. Will precisly measure headspace, bullet length, and COL.

Lefty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,768
Posts18,515,526
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.