Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
And my daughter and I are into fishing. Canoes aren't the best fishing boats, but there are a lot of neat waters to explore in our many state parks here in Communist Illinois. The other day, we hit the lake and the wind blew us to hell and gone and it was a chore getting back after a day of casting and paddling to say off the opposite shore line.

I love the canoe, because many of these lakes have very cool fishing spots that many boats can't enter due to narrow initial passages that open into wide coves.

I'm looking for advice on tolling motors for canoes. Never used one on a canoe and if anyone has any experience with them, I'd appreciate some advice. I already know about load balance and keeping the front down. I'm more interested in a balance of trolling power and battery selection.

The canoe is 14 feet, but wide and roomy. It's an Old Town Explorer.

Thanks

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't know who makes it, but there is a bracket you can put across the back of the canoe that will stick off one side or the other, and you can attach a tiller TM to it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Try going to Old town's website and see whats there..they make a good quality canoe, and might just offer the accessories you are looking for..

ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Guys, thanks. I know about the motor mounts. I was more interested in advice concerning motor power and battery power, that sort of thing. I'm looking for a balance of weight and power usage. I've been fishing in boats with trolling motors, but have no idea how long a good battery would power a canoe at say, half power. Most of the power would be used getting to a spot and getting back, or a day of exploration and anchoring in a promising looking spot.

Thanks again.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a kid, I had one of those plastic pontoon Bass Tracker Bantam boats. It weighed about 120lbs and I went everywhere with a large battery and a 28lb Minn Kota. I now do the same with my square stern Gheenoe and a cheapo 30lb Minn Kota with 30" shaft. Use enough battery and it will last for quite a while. A guy could always charge a smaller battery as a back-up and keep it at the opposite end of the boat to distribute the weight.

Last edited by JPro; 04/08/10.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
By the time you go to the trouble, weight, and expense of electric motor and battery, you could get a good Cruise'n'Carry. They don't make them anymore, but they can be had on eBay from time to time. I have a 2.7 that weighs all of about 12 pounds. I've had it on a bracket on a 17' Grumman, our 17' Appleby up in Canada, and a 16' fiberglass we have here on the Rock River. They push a canoe great on a tiny amount of fuel and are light enough for a small child to carry. I just use a homemade gunwale clamp-on side bracket and it works just fine for those times I'm not in a paddling mood or the wind is bucking and I need a little help.
- search "cruise carry" on eBay and you'll come up with a few.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Levr

There are similar motors made now. However, gas motors are noisy. Electric ones are nearly silent. Thanks for the input though.

Dan

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I use a MinnKota 30 on mine with just me in it to push upstream on a river in the morning and fish back in the afternoon.
16 foot aluminum
Full size trolling motor battery (placed way forward to counteract my weight)
30 lb motor mounted mid-ship so it is easy to get up for shallow water running (handle reversed)

I am looking at 40 lb as in places it is ALMOST enough thrust.

Quiet like you said.

If the state hadn't built a boat ramp everywhere it would still be fun peaceful and quiet fishing, now there are outboards and jetfoots everywhere . . .

Might as well go to the lake and have that and PWCs everywhere.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
B
B
I have a 15' grumman. I use a 40.lb thrust minn kota mounted to a bracket on the stern. With a deep cycle battery I can troll at low speeds all day long-If not fighting a head wind. Now duck hunting in the winter I have run my battery down three miles from the truck. Stupid,stupid mistake. It took several hours of walking in knee deep water pulling my canoe behind me,in the dark, to reach my truck. crazy I think its easier to get in over your head with a motor!

Last edited by bluecyclone; 04/10/10.

"Well that oughta do it"-Butch Cassidy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang, that sounds dangerous. What if you'd stepped into a hole and had your waders fill up? You'd literally have been up the 'crick and danged cold to boot.

IC B3

B
B
Ya not one of my finer moments. I had succumb to the "just a little farther" syndrome.

"Well that oughta do it"-Butch Cassidy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.